Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seahawks to make Russell Wilson highest-paid QB

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seahawks to make Russell Wilson highest-paid QB

    One of the Seattle Seahawks' major competitive advantages is set to vanish prior to the start of next season.

    NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via sources involved in the situation, Russell Wilson is expected to become the NFL's highest-paid quarterback when the Seahawks sign him to a long-term extension in the coming offseason.

    Seattle has built the NFL's deepest and most talented roster while devoting less than $1 million per year to the starting quarterback since Wilson was drafted in 2012.

    Aaron Rodgers is currently atop the NFL's salary structure, with a five-year, $110 million contract averaging $22 million annually.

    Wilson's rookie contract runs through the 2015 season, but the organization intends to take care of him this year rather than next.

    As a means to that end, they jettisoned Percy Harvin's inflated salary and extended the contracts of nucleus defensive starters Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright.

    Wilson isn't deserving of a richer contract than Rodgers, but this is how salaries escalate in professional sports.

    Just as Ndamukong Suh has the leverage to overtake J.J. Watt as the highest-paid defensive player, the Seahawks have no choice but to set a new contract bar for the steadily improving 26-year-old quarterback of the reigning Super Bowl champions and current Super Bowl favorites.

    After toiling three years as the NFL's most underpaid star, Wilson is about to be rewarded as the highest-paid.


    WOW

    Personally I don't have him as a top ten QB. You lean on that D and Lynch to win games then make the QB the highest paid player in the league ? They better be sure he's worth it

  • #2
    Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    One of the Seattle Seahawks' major competitive advantages is set to vanish prior to the start of next season.

    NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via sources involved in the situation, Russell Wilson is expected to become the NFL's highest-paid quarterback when the Seahawks sign him to a long-term extension in the coming offseason.

    Seattle has built the NFL's deepest and most talented roster while devoting less than $1 million per year to the starting quarterback since Wilson was drafted in 2012.

    Aaron Rodgers is currently atop the NFL's salary structure, with a five-year, $110 million contract averaging $22 million annually.

    Wilson's rookie contract runs through the 2015 season, but the organization intends to take care of him this year rather than next.

    As a means to that end, they jettisoned Percy Harvin's inflated salary and extended the contracts of nucleus defensive starters Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright.

    Wilson isn't deserving of a richer contract than Rodgers, but this is how salaries escalate in professional sports.

    Just as Ndamukong Suh has the leverage to overtake J.J. Watt as the highest-paid defensive player, the Seahawks have no choice but to set a new contract bar for the steadily improving 26-year-old quarterback of the reigning Super Bowl champions and current Super Bowl favorites.

    After toiling three years as the NFL's most underpaid star, Wilson is about to be rewarded as the highest-paid.


    WOW

    Personally I don't have him as a top ten QB. You lean on that D and Lynch to win games then make the QB the highest paid player in the league ? They better be sure he's worth it
    Yeah. That's the odd relationship between sports and business.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not worth that, but it disables them heavily in the future, so I'm all for it.
      sigpic

      Hooray, beer!

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope they do.
        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

        Comment


        • #5
          They probably win tonight. But I bet if they don't then they don't make him highest paid.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            I think he's really good, but he's not Aaron Rodgers. But sometimes you gotta overpay a bit to keep your good QB.
            sigpic

            2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
            Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

            Comment


            • #7
              Russell Wilson is damn good and is the best of the young crop of QBs playing today and barring him getting big-headed or injured he will ascend to becoming a top 5 QB for years to come.

              He's not asked to do much because he has a dominant defense and strong running game but if/when a play needs to be made he shows he can make that play. He's cool, calm & collective inside and outside of the pocket and can turn nothing into something with his feet and arm...and can accurately make every throw.

              Other than his height there's nothing NOT to like about him as a QB. He's more than worth whatever he gets paid. Wish we had lucked up on him.
              Last edited by Mel B.; 01-11-2015, 08:33 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                He has proven to be a top notch QB, with average WR talent at best. He rarely makes a bad decision, and that gives his team chances to stay in every game. Seattle needed to lock him up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wilson and Luck have completely separated themselves from the rest of the pack of young QBs so they'll each get record contracts when the time comes and they deserve them. Their percentage of the cap won't be out of line with earlier franchise QB signings though because of cap increases and three years from now they will look like bargains.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Pay the Man!!!!
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm hope they pay him a record breaking salary, and then regret it for years....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                        I'm hope they pay him a record breaking salary, and then regret it for years....
                        You can hope all you want but that won't change the fact that Russell is a franchise QB and deserves to be paid like one.

                        BTW, Luck's contract will trump Wilson's.
                        "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If SEA wins, he'll be only the 4th QB in the league with 2+ SB wins, and only the 3rd without cheating
                          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BroncoFanBoy View Post
                            I think he's really good, but he's not Aaron Rodgers. But sometimes you gotta overpay a bit to keep your good QB.
                            One could argue that he's better than Rodgers
                            "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HUMCALC View Post
                              One could argue that he's better than Rodgers
                              One could also argue that Manziel is a legitimate MVP candidate next season and Cleveland are going to the SB... it would still be ludicrous.

                              Wilson is a mediocre QB, probably about 12/13 in the league and not fit to lace Andrew Luck's boots. Without looking at the stats I expect your find him right in the middle of the league in terms of passing yards and TD's.

                              Wilson is a modern Terry Bradshaw, although not quite as good. The only argument I hear for Wilson is his W-L record and he is 'clutch'.

                              We all know why Seattle win games.

                              As far as being clutch he was terrible in the divisional round at home to the Saints last season..... 9/18 for 100 yards and no TD's... 1 fumble...... but the Saints were held to 15 points... and Lynch ran for 140 yards and 2 TD's...... so instead of being one and done they went through.

                              Luck was poor for Indy throwing 2 picks.... Manning was poor against Indy although didn't throw any picks and one TD..... Wilson was TERRIBLE against GB throwing 4 picks, any other team are buried before the 4th quarter starts... as Indy were...... but Seattle D and in particular RZ D were incredible again and somehow kept them in the game.. along with the ST's TD, although GB still choked at the end.

                              It was a good throw by Wilson in OT, so I'll credit him on his one TD pass.

                              Wilson isn't clutch, he has been terrible in the playoffs and a game manager all his career... and as his stats and playoff performances indicate he is another QB riding the coat-tails of an historical D

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X