NFL to host veteran combine for free agents in March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL to host veteran combine for free agents in March

"With the emergence of regional combines which allow through-the-cracks rookies to get a chance before NFL scouts, the NFL has now decided to offer veterans the same chance.

The league sent out a memo to teams, which PFT has obtained a copy of, which outlines their plan for the first Veteran Combine on March 22.

The event will allow veteran free agents to go through the same kinds of drills and testing draft prospects go through in Indianapolis, with representatives of all 32 clubs on hand.

Veteran free agents have been allowed at regional rookie combines in recent years, but this gives teams a chance to get a like-for-like look at guys who have played in the league.

Players can apply with the league, and around 100 will be chosen to appear at the event, which will be held at the Cardinals training facility, just before the owner’s meeting in Phoenix.

It’s a good idea to give veteran players a chance to hang on, and it also provides some more television inventory possibilities for a league that’s tryting to expand into every nook and cranny of the calendar."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ents-in-march/

Yeah....Not a bad idea for vets just hanging on, but not for known vets.

I think its more of the NFL to get one more reason to get more TV time.

Comment

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
      Yeah....Not a bad idea for vets just hanging on, but not for known vets.

I think its more of the NFL to get one more reason to get more TV time.
      I agree. I do think it will be interesting to see how guys perform. Most guys only have their original combine numbers for reference, which can be quite out of date.

Comment

Pretty cool idea.

Comment

I agree that it's probably mostly for the NFL to get more TV time. I think combine tests are vastly overrated even for rookies, and if teams are taking it seriously as a way to scout veterans for NFL free agency that seems pretty ridiculous, because you've seen how they perform at an NFL level already. If you see a guy perform effectively on the field and say 'oh, but I won't sign him because he performed below average for pros at his position in the 40, bench press reps of 225 or etc., then you probably aren't very good at evaluating what players will be good for your team.

However, I also agree that it would be interesting to watch, so for NFL TV Time/Ratings I think it's a good idea. I myself am kind of interested in what some veteran players bench press reps, 40 times and etc. are now, as opposed to when they were drafted.

I wonder who the best guys are at some tests, and also who some of the worst are. I believe Fred Smoot only could do 1 rep of 225, I wonder if there are any guys in the league who can't even do 1 rep of it.

Granted, it would be hard to know who the worst are at certain tests because if they are terrible they more than likely wouldn't do a test like that if it was voluntary. They probably know they aren't very good at them, and probably wouldn't want to highlight that for scouts I would guess.

Comment

Working...
          X