No announcement yet.

Deflate-gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And to clarify- I think the idea that the Colts did this themselves is absurd.

The GM of the Colts had reason to suspect the Patriots could be caught in this and happened to be right- so that tells me that the Colts have information from previous games/coaches/GMs/media/Giselle/whatever it may be......they had good reason to believe that the Patriots could be caught. What that reason is, is what I think we will never find out.

Comment

• Well if the only chance of the Colts to 'set up' the Pats is to get the INT and deflate that single ball themselves, I guess that's possible.

And if the chain of custody took any ball to the opponent's sideline, I think that ball should not hold as much 'weight' as a piece of evidence as the other balls. I think once that chain of custody gets to the point where 'anything could have happened' that ball can only be circumstantial. -this might help the Pats cause I dunno

After reading your latest post, perhaps another way the Colts could have manipulated the process could have been this. If they knew all the game balls were going to be tested, they could have inflated their balls with the knowledge that atmospheric conditions would reduce psi. And that would further differentiate between the 2 teams balls.

I don't think the Colts have done anything wrong here.

Anyhow I look forward to seeing what the NFL comes up with. I am leaning toward 'slap on the wrist' along with a new policy to make sure this can't happen in the future. And maybe this new process of ball handling is the reason we're still without resolution on the matter. They probably want to be able to announce the new policy as to pacify those who question the slap on the wrist. So that no matter what any of us think happened, at least now, it can't ever happen again. Maybe the policy change itself could be as big a story as the result of deflate gate itself. That wouldn't be the story if we were closer to the Superbowl, but the further we get from it, the more that could be the case.

Hopefully next week we do get our answers. Enough time has passed already ......
      The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
        Well if the only chance of the Colts to 'set up' the Pats is to get the INT and deflate that single ball themselves, I guess that's possible.

And if the chain of custody took any ball to the opponent's sideline, I think that ball should not hold as much 'weight' as a piece of evidence as the other balls. I think once that chain of custody gets to the point where 'anything could have happened' that ball can only be circumstantial. -this might help the Pats cause I dunno

After reading your latest post, perhaps another way the Colts could have manipulated the process could have been this. If they knew all the game balls were going to be tested, they could have inflated their balls with the knowledge that atmospheric conditions would reduce psi. And that would further differentiate between the 2 teams balls.

I don't think the Colts have done anything wrong here.

Anyhow I look forward to seeing what the NFL comes up with. I am leaning toward 'slap on the wrist' along with a new policy to make sure this can't happen in the future. And maybe this new process of ball handling is the reason we're still without resolution on the matter. They probably want to be able to announce the new policy as to pacify those who question the slap on the wrist. So that no matter what any of us think happened, at least now, it can't ever happen again. Maybe the policy change itself could be as big a story as the result of deflate gate itself. That wouldn't be the story if we were closer to the Superbowl, but the further we get from it, the more that could be the case.

Hopefully next week we do get our answers. Enough time has passed already ......
        You know- I thought the same thing.....I thought the Colts could have possibly inflated the balls to the max knowing the Patriots inflate theirs to the minimum. However, from all the reports of balls being either 1-2 PSI under wouldnt that also imply that if a ball could drop that much PSI in such a short period of time then all QBS who play in the cold are actually guilty of this every time they play in a cold weather game?

I am fairly certain the NFL would have already considered this when they set the 12.5-13.5 restriction. I cant imagine they would have such strict guidelines with different balls, yet not factor the PSI due atmospheric conditions.

But who knows....

I expect a slap on the wrist as well, but only because of the inability to assign 100% guilt.

Comment

• Gut feelings tell me this:

1) The NFL will not research nearly as much as they did The Saints. No stone was supposedly left unturn, and yet, I don't think The NFL got that one right either. But The Commish made sure they were punished stiffly.
          2) No matter how much the evidence seems to be pointed at The Pats, I doubt they will be punished accordingly. I may be wrong on both accounts, but I doubt I am wrong when it comes to The Pats getting off the hook more so than they should.
          3) And if so, it will only make those of us who do not like The Pats' "way", like them even less. You can not throw this in the wash and expect everything to come clean.....in our eyes. Quite the contrary, a stiff penalty would make us trust The NFL a little more.
          4) Regardless, the perception of The Pats and The NFL will likely remain tarnished.
          5) Which makes me wonder what the other Owners think. I am sure some of them are just as concerned as we are. After all, they could be earning more revenue if The Pats were penalized and monitored closer.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Gut feelings tell me this:

1) The NFL will not research nearly as much as they did The Saints. No stone was supposedly left unturn, and yet, I don't think The NFL got that one right either. But The Commish made sure they were punished stiffly.
            2) No matter how much the evidence seems to be pointed at The Pats, I doubt they will be punished accordingly. I may be wrong on both accounts, but I doubt I am wrong when it comes to The Pats getting off the hook more so than they should.
            3) And if so, it will only make those of us who do not like The Pats' "way", like them even less. You can not throw this in the wash and expect everything to come clean.....in our eyes. Quite the contrary, a stiff penalty would make us trust The NFL a little more.
            4) Regardless, the perception of The Pats and The NFL will likely remain tarnished.
            5) Which makes me wonder what the other Owners think. I am sure some of them are just as concerned as we are. After all, they could be earning more revenue if The Pats were penalized and monitored closer.
            I do not like this either, but if I was Commissioner, I would welcome some other scandal to take focus off this matter and that appears what Ginger-Hammer is doing. Someone has stepped in and given him advise how to deal with scandals because it won't be long before this topic is perceived as 'beating a dead horse'. That is how they will sweep it under the rug. Besides, what are they going to do, rescind the Lombardi off of some footballs that were a few PSI short and embarrass themselves?

What attention to this does do is set the table for the next scandal-- and there will be a next one and if I was an NFL Owner I would say the batteries have run out on Ginger's Easy Button.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Rancid View Post
              I do not like this either, but if I was Commissioner, I would welcome some other scandal to take focus off this matter and that appears what Ginger-Hammer is doing. Someone has stepped in and given him advise how to deal with scandals because it won't be long before this topic is perceived as 'beating a dead horse'. That is how they will sweep it under the rug. Besides, what are they going to do, rescind the Lombardi off of some footballs that were a few PSI short and embarrass themselves?

What attention to this does do is set the table for the next scandal-- and there will be a next one and if I was an NFL Owner I would say the batteries have run out on Ginger's Easy Button.
              Sounds like the perfect job for Olivia Pope and Associates. Love me some Scandal and Gladiators every week.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by Rancid View Post

The thing is....smart people, like the Owners, GMs, and hey, everyday "smart" fans like us know what's going on, and it may be swept under the rug for the mass media for a while, but those of us in no hurry for news, don't forget the gamesmanship. It's why many of us go directly to the "prove it to me Commish" or "show us the facts Pats" buttons before we believe what they are feeding us....now, a year from now, ten years from now, probably forever.

Comment

• I still think Belichick told Wilfork to eat the evidence......

Comment

Working...
                  X