No announcement yet.

***Official Super Bowl XLIX Game Thread: Patriots Vs, Seahawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play calling is overrated execution is underrated.
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
      Play calling is overrated execution is underrated.
      Agreed. Not to say that there aren't any bad play calls or play calls better for a situation, however this tendency people seemingly have to jump to blaming the coach is asinine to me.

Coaches should not get blamed for players not executing well imo.

IMO, Both a pass or a run were reasonable to expect an offense to score a TD with, and it seems asinine to deny that. The Seahawks didn't execute, I would blame the poor execution.

Game plan is a big part of the game, however every game plan has to be executed well for it to work I would say.

Comment

• Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
        No one here is seemingly arguing for running it and then trying 2 pass plays, they are saying give the rest of the carries to Lynch. If you do that, you probably only get 2 runs in.

There was a good chance of the pass being completed, Wilson has made throws good enough to make that completion before. Short yardage running can be tough to convert with, no matter how good of a back you have.
        The safest, most effective play is to run your stud from the 18 inch line, period. That is why everyone is questioning the call. You have the timeout in your back pocket in case you are stuffed and have time for two pass plays. Play action or use your mobile QB if you feel the need to pass there where you have a run pass option with Wilson. But to go shotgun and drop back was a poor decision and they paid the price for it and will be questioned for it forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
          The safest, most effective play is to run your stud from the 18 inch line, period. That is why everyone is questioning the call. You have the timeout in your back pocket in case you are stuffed and have time for two pass plays. Play action or use your mobile QB if you feel the need to pass there where you have a run pass option with Wilson. But to go shotgun and drop back was a poor decision and they paid the price for it and will be questioned for it forever.
          If you get stuffed you now are in a situation where you would have to pass, or only have 1 more play instead of 2. Short yardage running has a decent chance of being stuffed, even for a great short yardage back. They probably wanted to avoid that. It was a good play call imo, and reasonable to expect them to score, and it gave them better odds if they didn't convert.

It was a bad throw imo, I blame execution more than the play call.

Comment

• Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
            If you get stuffed you now are in a situation where you would have to pass, or only have 1 more play instead of 2. Short yardage running has a decent chance of being stuffed, even for a great short yardage back. They probably wanted to avoid that. It was a good play call imo, and reasonable to expect them to score, and it gave them better odds if they didn't convert.

It was a bad throw imo, I blame execution more than the play call.
            If you want to throw to 'waste a play' which is what the coach said they were doing, you throw a fade out of the back of the end zone, not between the hashes. Bad execution is much more likely to happen on a bad play call than a good play call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
              If you want to throw to 'waste a play' which is what the coach said they were doing, you throw a fade out of the back of the end zone, not between the hashes. Bad execution is much more likely to happen on a bad play call than a good play call.
              It wasn't a bad play call though, there was a good chance of it getting completed. It's not wasting a play imo if your trying to score on it. I'm not understanding why people think completing a pass from the 1 yard line had such a slim chance of happening.

If your arguing it should have been a different type of pass I could maybe see that as being a better play call, but I don't think the particular pass called had a slim chance of being completed. it was a reasonable expectation for him to expect Wilson to complete that pass imo. Plus, people are making it all about how it should have been Lynch so it's still being overblown even if a different type of pass may have been better.

Comment

• Originally posted by CNETT324 View Post
                I must say I'm beyond disappointed in the outcome of this game because I despise the Patriots and the love affair the media has for this team. I'm not the biggest Seattle fan either but the way they lost was quiet pathetic . They basically gave the Patriots the game . What really burned me inside is that NEdink and dunked their way to victory and with those crossing patterns but yet we couldn't ?! I don't get it guys someone please help me understand ! This makes the Super Bowl loss hurt even more ....... all NE did was run crossing patterns and pick plays but we didn't have success ?! Sigh .
                Those types of plays are harder to run than they may seem, it takes a particular skill set of the receivers. I think there were a few things that made the difference.

1-NE's ability to attack the middle of the field. DEN wasn't able to attack the middle of the field, and routes that go back inside seem to be better for attacking SEA's defense. Edelman has great quickness, and does very well with those types of routes, Amendola does as well. DEN I believe threw it more outside, and SEA is very good at defending outside passes.

2-Vareen is a quick back that does well with screen passes, he was able to beat SEA's LBs, DEN didn't have a RB that was as good at that.

3-Edelman helped with his yards after the catch. He made guys miss, and he did well getting yards while being tackled by running low. The extra yards while being tackled may have helped the down and distance. DT more so relied on being able to break tackles to get more yards after the catch, but when you face a good tackling defense you won't likely be able to rely on that.

4-Brady's pocket mobility helped him evade the rush and buy more time. The rush didn't come as hard, but he was still under pressure for a lot of the game. However, he bought some time with pocket mobility, which Manning isn't as good at.

The Patriots did better with finding ways to put their players in favorable situations where the situation called for their skills. Edelman running 1 on 1 against Sherman after a short pass is better than him trying to catch the ball down field on Sherman, Vareen trying to beat a LB in the passing game is better than him running in the box and etc.

Comment

Working...
                X