Cowboys RB Joseph Randle facing abuse claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Yeah, guys who do good things and who are great guys will do good things because that's just who they are and not because they are trying to look good. It's a natural part of their character.
    Indeed, it's just because it's the type of guy they want to be. They probably expect the person they do it for to be appreciative, but that's about it. I think it's good to remember the spirit of it, because if you start expecting too much to come from your actions, you'll likely be disappointed.

I guess that's the root of my point, is that someone shouldn't feel responsible for changing anyone's opinion of their image. After all, if you give money to research for a disease, people could say you only did it for the recognition or something of that sort. You don't have to convince them of anything, you don't owe them that.

I'm not accusing you of thinking the NFL is full of mostly bad guys, but what you said just reminded me of these points since I do feel that some people judge the entire NFL based off of the actions of a small percentage of players.

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
      Indeed, it's just because it's the type of guy they want to be. They probably expect the person they do it for to be appreciative, but that's about it. I think it's good to remember the spirit of it, because if you start expecting too much to come from your actions, you'll likely be disappointed.

I guess that's the root of my point, is that someone shouldn't feel responsible for changing anyone's opinion of their image. After all, if you give money to research for a disease, people could say you only did it for the recognition or something of that sort. You don't have to convince them of anything, you don't owe them that.

I'm not accusing you of thinking the NFL is full of mostly bad guys, but what you said just reminded me of these points since I do feel that some people judge the entire NFL based off of the actions of a small percentage of players.
      It is my opinion that most people understand that the Rice's and the Randle's are very much in the minority in the NFL. I think it has been the ineffective and inconsistent response by the NFL that has created as much bad press as the actual acts themselves. Until the NFL shows some real leadership, these incidences will continue to be overblown and over analyzed. Just my opinion.
      Il a été soit couché ou alors qu'il est étendu maintenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryh View Post
        It is my opinion that most people understand that the Rice's and the Randle's are very much in the minority in the NFL. I think it has been the ineffective and inconsistent response by the NFL that has created as much bad press as the actual acts themselves. Until the NFL shows some real leadership, these incidences will continue to be overblown and over analyzed. Just my opinion.
        There isn't much I would expect them to do about Randle right now without much evidence of his guilt, but that's something you and I have already debated about. With Rice, I think they should have gone with 6 games first because they apparently did actually have it on tape, but honestly I have a hard time believing that there would have been much less press if they had.

The NBA handed out what was pretty much the maximum punishment for Sterling, and that was still talked about for a very long time. I think it has more to do with people expecting football players to be these super duper role models for children, and/or feeling that they somehow owe them something in terms of proving that they live up to their standards of conduct because they get paid to play football.

Very few, if any corporations would likely be held to the standard that the NFL is in terms of their reaction. If someone high up on the corporate ladder of Pizza Hut was charged with DV, and the CEO did absolutely nothing to punish him, I very much doubt many people would care. I also doubt there would be pressure on Pizza Hut employees to set some great example and prove what upstanding citizens they are. In truth, if you buoycott pretty much any big business over a lack of ethical integrity somewhere within it, you'd probably be living in the forest.

No one seems to be disputing that most guys in the NFL are good character guys, so they are probably already doing things that should be helping the reputation of the league. When people start acting like guys need to do more just because the NFL's image is bad, it seems a bit ridiculous. They are expecting more of them than to just have good character, it seems unreasonable.

I think people get too wrapped up in this idealistic golden boy/super hero view of an athlete sometimes. It isn't a football players' responsibility to be this super duper role model, I would only expect them to be a decent person.

Comment

Working...
        X