Patrick Willis planning to retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Willis planning to retire

Patrick Willis is walking away from the game near the prime of his career.

The 30-year-old linebacker plans to retire on Tuesday after eight seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Yahoo Sports first reported the news.

A first-round pick in 2007, Willis made seven Pro Bowls and five first-team All Pro units, highlighting one of the most dominant runs for an inside linebacker in the last decade.

From 2008 up until last season, there was no one better at the position which makes his impending announcement all the more shocking.

Willis' season ended early last year after he opted for surgery on a bothersome toe injury that had reportedly hampered him for a few seasons, though it was certainly not enough to force him out of the game. His explanation, expected Tuesday, will be interesting to hear.

The loss is a stunning blow for the 49ers, a team that is desperately trying to rebuild following the ouster of Jim Harbaugh.

With a cast of rotating characters, some talented and troubled, Willis was a known commodity. New head coach Jim Tomsula was undoubtedly counting on Willis' presence in some form to help engineer a new era. Willis was a picture of stability and consistency.

Before his toe injury, Willis had missed just five regular-season games in his career.

At this point, the only solace for Trent Baalke will be the cap room. The cash-strapped 49ers could have saved more than $7 million by releasing Willis this year.

Otherwise, he'll be hard at work trying to fix this mess.

It's a shame injuries seem to have cut his career short. It looks like he's taking his own health and life after football into consideration and that's good. I think his career, short as it is, warrants HOF consideration.
    A book I wrote

SF 49er Patrick Willis to Retire

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ire-on-tuesday

Wow!!!!! Patrick Willis to retire.

Also, it's being reported that Justin Smith will also retire as well.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Harbaugh leaving.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Probably a few things factored in. Harbaugh, injury, losing interest. Sometimes the love of the game just isn't there anymore, and you already have millions of dollar, so it's no longer about money.

I think San Fran is on a fast trip back to being a bottom dwelling team. Reports say Colin Kaepernick is on the trading block. If he's traded whose gonna start? With the current roster, the players like Davis that are shells of themselves. Are they better than any of the other 3 teams in that division?
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
        Probably a few things factored in. Harbaugh, injury, losing interest. Sometimes the love of the game just isn't there anymore, and you already have millions of dollar, so it's no longer about money.

I think San Fran is on a fast trip back to being a bottom dwelling team. Reports say Colin Kaepernick is on the trading block. If he's traded whose gonna start? With the current roster, the players like Davis that are shells of themselves. Are they better than any of the other 3 teams in that division?
        That would be a shocker given how strong they looked only a couple of years ago (and with a boatload of draft picks one year). Some of us could see them being multiple SB winners.

Comment

Cant really blame Willis. He has had a hard time staying healthy last couple of years, and the Niners don't seem very concerned with putting a winner on the field now that their stadium is finished. Justin Smith is retiring, Gore is going to Philly, Iupati, & Culliver heading to the Jets, Harbaugh let go and replaced by the teams d-line coach, and ALdon Smith is one mistake away from a year band. I bet this team is in the seller next year in a very tough NFC West. Baalke and York are in for a rude awakening! Great coaches don't grow on trees. They had a coach that players were willing to run through a wall for. When I heard recently they had Harbaugh memorabilia removed from their 49ers HOF at Levi Stadium it became very clear, this was personal. These two want to play NFL owner & GM, gonna be hard with no coach or players.
          sigpic

Comment

Crabtree gone too.
            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              That would be a shocker given how strong they looked only a couple of years ago (and with a boatload of draft picks one year). Some of us could see them being multiple SB winners.
              A couple years ago is a couple years ago. How do they look now? With all who is gone, and say Colin ends up getting traded. Looking at that roster without those players, with a new coaching staff. Can they do better than the Rams, Cardinals, and Seahawks? Cardinals are in my opinion a good QB away from being the best team in that division. I just dont see how the Niners could compete....of course all of this is based on how they are looking right now. The season isnt even close to starting, so who knows what happen.
              sigpic
              Adopted Broncos:
              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                A couple years ago is a couple years ago. How do they look now? With all who is gone, and say Colin ends up getting traded. Looking at that roster without those players, with a new coaching staff. Can they do better than the Rams, Cardinals, and Seahawks? Cardinals are in my opinion a good QB away from being the best team in that division. I just dont see how the Niners could compete....of course all of this is based on how they are looking right now. The season isnt even close to starting, so who knows what happen.
                I agreed with you......when I mentioned how they looked a couple of years ago, I meant they appear to be going south very quickly, given how strong they looked........so little time ago.:thumb:

Comment

From 3 championship games and 1 sb appearance to the flood gates being let open leading out of San Fran. IMO atleast some of this is do to the FO moves this year. Reminds me of a ff version of McD. Looks to me like they are going from contender for SB to not even contending for their division. Good luck San Fran (not). Will be interesting to watch. Unless they have one heck of a plan, I can see this fo being gone in 2 seasons.imo
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I'm not too worried about losing Willis, Borland should fill in that spot just fine. He is a tackle machine who does great with getting to the ball, rarely misses tackles and reads plays well to get to them before the back gets a lot of yards. With Kaep, I think we may be in need of a new QB, if he doesn't get better. Good QBs are hard to find though.

Losing Gore is a bit of a concern, as is Crabtree. Crabtree being injured in 2013 seemed to hurt the teams' offense a lot, as it seems he tied a lot of the offense together. Boldin could move into the slot, they could make teams pay for stacking the box and etc. I do think Hyde and Hunter will make a good RB combo behind SFO's line, although Gore being gone will likely hurt. Hunter is an underrated RB though imo.

Justin Smith is a great player, however it seems the Niners have some good back ups on defense. Offense is my main concern, SFO's defense did very well despite all the injuries, 5th I believe. I think they can handle losing Smith and Willis, however it looks like their offense may be worse than it was last year.

I'm hoping to see some good game planning on the offensive side of the football, something 'Patriotesque'. NE has lost all kinds of receivers, however the guys they have seem to be effective. They seem to figure out what their players do well, and know how to create favorable situations for their players, that play to their strengths. Granted, we don't have a QB like Brady or a coach like Belichick, however I think we can do a lot better than what we did last year with the players we have.

Comment

I remember that draft and wanting him, but knowing he wasn't going to fall to us.

Best wishes in your after-football life Patrick!! !!!
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
                        I'm not too worried about losing Willis, Borland should fill in that spot just fine. He is a tackle machine who does great with getting to the ball, rarely misses tackles and reads plays well to get to them before the back gets a lot of yards. With Kaep, I think we may be in need of a new QB, if he doesn't get better. Good QBs are hard to find though.

Losing Gore is a bit of a concern, as is Crabtree. Crabtree being injured in 2013 seemed to hurt the teams' offense a lot, as it seems he tied a lot of the offense together. Boldin could move into the slot, they could make teams pay for stacking the box and etc. I do think Hyde and Hunter will make a good RB combo behind SFO's line, although Gore being gone will likely hurt. Hunter is an underrated RB though imo.

Justin Smith is a great player, however it seems the Niners have some good back ups on defense. Offense is my main concern, SFO's defense did very well despite all the injuries, 5th I believe. I think they can handle losing Smith and Willis, however it looks like their offense may be worse than it was last year.

I'm hoping to see some good game planning on the offensive side of the football, something 'Patriotesque'. NE has lost all kinds of receivers, however the guys they have seem to be effective. They seem to figure out what their players do well, and know how to create favorable situations for their players, that play to their strengths. Granted, we don't have a QB like Brady or a coach like Belichick, however I think we can do a lot better than what we did last year with the players we have.
                        I wish you the best buddy, but losing Willis isn't just about tackles he is a leader on that defense, As far as the game planning who did you guys bring in at OC and DC that make you think you will be able to out game plan other teams? I don't mean that in a rude way, im just curious who you guys hired. I know you being a niner fan definitely know more on the subject than me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post

I like your glass half full approach. I feel bad for you though, cause from what I see your team was a contender and it is getting blown up. I don't know what they are thinking and doing over there. I feel like they are taking advice from McD. Good luck is all I can say to ya.
                          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                            I wish you the best buddy, but losing Willis isn't just about tackles he is a leader on that defense, As far as the game planning who did you guys bring in at OC and DC that make you think you will be able to out game plan other teams? I don't mean that in a rude way, im just curious who you guys hired. I know you being a niner fan definitely know more on the subject than me.
                            Thanks. Honestly, I don't know who we brought in, and to be honest I'm not sure we will game plan well on the offensive side. I'm just saying that it is possible, at times a coordinator may surprise you with what they come up with. On defense, I'm basing it on how our defense has done in the past with injuries, particularly last year. Losing a leader like Willis does hurt imo, however I feel our defense can still be pretty good.

Offensively, we had a lot of struggles, and we weren't without good players. We had Stevie Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, Brandon Lloyd and Vernon Davis among our receivers, to go along with a good offensive line and core of RBs, and yet our offense struggled heavily. Crabtree is now gone, and Torrie Smith is in SFO now, however Smith is a good receiver, particularly with deep balls, and I think he can be good.

If you give that core plus a good run game to a good offensive coordinator, imo you'll likely get a pretty good offense. I do feel we had play calling problems, and issues at QB. I hear Kaep is learning from Warner, and I'm hoping whoever we end up having can figure out how to use our guys.

I am however, concerned about our run game with Iupati leaving, and also about drops from our receivers. It wasn't all play calling, we seemed to struggle with drops. Hopefully we will fix that, though drops are an easily fixable problem imo. With Smith and Johnson, we may have a good deep ball attack, something kind of 'Seahawkesque'. I think they brilliantly use the deep ball, they are a run first team however their deep ball is very effective, because they seem to brilliantly play off of teams playing to stop the run, either from Lynch and other backs, or Wilson taking off, and take advantage of that attention. They use it as an added piece, not a main staple which imo is brilliant, they may be the most efficient deep ball team in the league.

I think if we figure out how to use our players, we can be pretty good. I'm optimistic, though I wouldn't bet on the Niners having a good offense in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                              I like your glass half full approach. I feel bad for you though, cause from what I see your team was a contender and it is getting blown up. I don't know what they are thinking and doing over there. I feel like they are taking advice from McD. Good luck is all I can say to ya.
                              Thanks, lol. I'm not sure, however I don't have a whole lot of faith in what they are doing. If they were the Patriots, I would probably have a lot of trust that they had a good football related plan because of their history of letting star players go, and using their replacements in an effective way, however the Niners last year I think actually were held back by poor play calling, use of players and etc. We seemed to have a 'whole is greater than the sum of the parts' thing going on defense, though some of our back ups were very good, however on offense we seemed to have a 'whole is less than the sum of the parts' thing going. I'm hoping with Tomsula, our team can change that, however I'm not sure if we will be a winning team in 2015. I'm thinking 7-9 right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X