Giants' Pierre-Paul injures hand in fireworks accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants' Pierre-Paul injures hand in fireworks accident

The Giants defensive end suffered a severe hand injury in a fireworks accident.

New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul could miss training camp and possibly even regular season games after suffering a hand injury following a fireworks accident on July 4. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Giants are still waiting for more medical details, but there is "concern" Pierre-Paul could be out into the season.

Complete details of Pierre-Paul's injuries have not been released, but according to Dan Graziano of ESPN, Pierre-Paul suffered burns to his palm and three fingers and could have nerve damage. Pierre-Paul reportedly did not lose any fingers in the accident. The Giants are scheduled to begin training camp on July 30.

Pierre-Paul's situation is a little bit murky because of his contract status. The Giants applied the franchise tender, but he hasn't signed it yet so currently he isn't under contract. New York reportedly pulled a $60 million extension offer following the firework injury. Because the injury occurred off the field, New York could place Pierre-Paul on the non-football injury list, which would allow them to not pay him for games missed. According to Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk, that would mean $870,000 per game if Pierre-Paul plays under his $14.8 million franchise tender. The Giants could also rescind the tender entirely, which would make Pierre-Paul a free agent.

The 26-year-old is coming off one of the better seasons of his career. He bounced back from a down 2013 to record 12.5 sacks last year.

Source: SB Nation
    Yikes! I hate injuries, on or off the field and this sounds potentially serious.

This could really cost him too, as mentioned, the Giants pulled a $60 million offer. Yet another reason the franchise tag is troublesome.

I hope he is able to heal up and get back on the field.

A defensive lineman has to be able to use his hands, if his ability to use his hands effectively has been compromised (he's now had an index finger amputated) his career is is in real jeopardy. He may get medical clearance to play, but whether he can actually play will be a big question.

I hope the fireworks show, before the injury, was awesome, because his Wyle E. Coyote impression might mean that it was also his retirement party.

Comment

Losing use of an index finger is hard enough on a temporary basis. But permanently is another story. Imagine the adjustment? Not to mention, there will be physical and psychological pain for some time to come. I can only hope he can recover fairly quickly, but I would not assume he will be ready anytime soon.

I hope he overcomes it and can play quality football again.

Comment

2 NFL players lost fingers this weekend celebrating their knockoff of Canada Day, I would guess that it will cost both of them their careers. Hopefully this serves as a warning to all football players, athletes and people in general about the dangers of holding onto an explosive with a lit fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          A defensive lineman has to be able to use his hands, if his ability to use his hands effectively has been compromised (he's now had an index finger amputated) his career is is in real jeopardy. He may get medical clearance to play, but whether he can actually play will be a big question.

I hope the fireworks show, before the injury, was awesome, because his Wyle E. Coyote impression might mean that it was also his retirement party.
          Wow, that is bad news. I don't see him, if he ever comes back, being the player he once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
            Wow, that is bad news. I don't see him, if he ever comes back, being the player he once was.
            Nope. Should have signed his contract before playing with fireworks.
            sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              2 NFL players lost fingers this weekend celebrating their knockoff of Canada Day, I would guess that it will cost both of them their careers. Hopefully this serves as a warning to all football players, athletes and people in general about the dangers of holding onto an explosive with a lit fuse.
              sorry but if anyone earns the "knockoff" title ... it would be the Canadians, we had you beat by about 90 years! ;-)

Sucks for JPP honestly but the good news is that he only lost the tip of his index finger (down to the first knuckle) and there are a few other players that currently play in the league with missing digits. I don't believe this will affect him negatively in any other way that maybe emotionally, for a while anyway!
              sigpic

Comment

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Jul 8
                Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul finger amputated today. Medical source expects him to play this season, "sooner than people think."

Well sucks about the finger, but glad it wasn't worse and he will back up and playing sooner rather than later. Good Luck JPP
                My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                  Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Jul 8
                  Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul finger amputated today. Medical source expects him to play this season, "sooner than people think."

Well sucks about the finger, but glad it wasn't worse and he will back up and playing sooner rather than later. Good Luck JPP
                  Here's the problem for Pierre Paul, medical people can say that he'll play sooner than people think, and perhaps medically he'll be cleared to play fast, but he will have to relearn how to use his hands for football, it will be different for him and it could take some time.

So while medical sources can say that, and they might be 100% true about when he's medically capable of playing, it will likely take him much longer to learn how to play and how to become the player he was, if he's able to.

Comment

Working...
                  X