Five NFL players who will take a step back in 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    IDK how to delineate yards Wilson gained rushing as a result of scrambling on a pass play from those he gained on a called run like Keep on Double Option.

However, I don't understand why Russell Wilson's rushing yards "skews" the fact that Seattle led the league in rushing. When Wilson was the intended ball carrier, the line still did some blocking, didn't they?

It is true that DeMarco Murray outrushed Marshawn Lynch by 500 yards last year, but emphasizing individual performances distracts from team stats which are far more relevant especially in defensive preparation.
    My point was in regards to the second paragraph of your post that I quoted. Specifically when you questioned if it was oline, scheme, etc.

Seattle is a very good rushing team, no doubt. I just believe Dallas is a better run blocking unit and that Wilson's stats are skewed due to a number of factors.

Also, I'm not sure I completely agree on your point about individual performance. Do you think a team is even talking about Robert Turbin during preparations? I doubt it, but I am sure they spend some time speaking about Marshawn Lynch and the option game.
    Last edited by JJBroncoFan; 08-04-2015, 06:16 PM.
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

An example I would like to add would be our own 2011 season. Were the Broncos the best rushing team in the league that season? We indeed lead the league statistically but were we the best?

Comment

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
        My point was in regards to the second paragraph of your post that I quoted. Specifically when you questioned if it was oline, scheme, etc.

Seattle is a very good rushing team, no doubt. I just believe Dallas is a better run blocking unit and that Wilson's stats are skewed due to a number of factors.

Also, I'm not sure I completely agree on your point about individual performance. Do you think a team is even talking about Robert Turbin during preparations? I doubt it, but I am sure they spend some time speaking about Marshawn Lynch and the option game.
        Defensive coordinators scout formations, tendencies and plays. The problem with defending Spread Option with 11 personnel formations and with an effective running QB is that when there are six in the box, O will outnumber D on either give or keep if the read is correct. In 2011, Denver only led the league in yards and attempts.

When they went to New England* in the playoffs, Belichick's* solution to defending the Spread Option, which he had studied with Urban Meyer, was to run a 50 with the strong side OLB in 9 boxed, 0 tech Aggied to a 1, Eagle the weak side 5 to a 3, weak side OLB on LOS as a 5 with Backers over the strong B Gap and weak A Gap.

There was no place to run and Denver couldn't line up in the I to get the Pats* out of that look because their FB was injured. Denver's passing attack was 9 of 26 and they only put up ten points.

All a good DC will do to counter an effective aspect of the opposing offense is to defend it effectively without compromising the rest. Individual stats are only noticed as being indicative of something being effective. That something is scouted, studied and countered.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

IDK how to delineate yards Wilson gained rushing as a result of scrambling on a pass play from those he gained on a called run like Keep on Double Option.

However, I don't understand why Russell Wilson's rushing yards "skews" the fact that Seattle led the league in rushing. When Wilson was the intended ball carrier, the line still did some blocking, didn't they?

It is true that DeMarco Murray outrushed Marshawn Lynch by 500 yards last year, but emphasizing individual performances distracts from team stats which are far more relevant especially in defensive preparation.
          Yes, it is true that the team's stats are far more relevant than individual stats in judging a line, however Wilson's rushing stats do contribute to Seattle being first in rushing, and it doesn't necessarily require a great line for a QB to get a lot of rushing yards. At times, they aren't even gained on plays intended to be a run, but plays when Wilson notices a running lane open but a receiver isn't open(or perhaps, when he thinks he can get more yards running than he would throwing to any of his open receivers).

There's a reason why running QBs usually have high rushing averages, and it isn't likely because they would be among the most productive RBs in the league if they played RB.

There's also another thing to consider-how much did it have to do with rushing lanes opening up due to defenses giving attention to Wilson's running?

When Vick left Atlanta, rushing stats declined-not just because Vick was gone and there weren't as many rushing yards from the QB, but it also effected the rushing averages of Dunn and Norwood if I remember correctly. A running QB can open up running lanes if defenses give extra attention to stopping his runs.

Seattle's line is likely very good, however no line seems to be as good as Dallas' in run blocking. They seem to be able to beat up elite front sevens in the league in a way I haven't seen in awhile. I remember in week 1, I believe I was worried about San Fransisco's run defense, however....after seeing Dallas's line for the rest of last season, it doesn't seem like getting pushed around by them was necessarily a cause for concern.

Comment

When teams face Julius they may decide to put their best corner on him, something teams couldn't do vs Denver with DT and Sanders lined up on the outside.
            sigpic

Comment

Keep in mind that Seattle traded away their Pro Bowl center (Unger), and got back a tight end who can't run block (Graham).

Their rushing game should take a step backwards this year.

Comment

Defensive coordinators scout formations, tendencies and plays. The problem with defending Spread Option with 11 personnel formations and with an effective running QB is that when there are six in the box, O will outnumber D on either give or keep if the read is correct. In 2011, Denver only led the league in yards and attempts.

When they went to New England* in the playoffs, Belichick's* solution to defending the Spread Option, which he had studied with Urban Meyer, was to run a 50 with the strong side OLB in 9 boxed, 0 tech Aggied to a 1, Eagle the weak side 5 to a 3, weak side OLB on LOS as a 5 with Backers over the strong B Gap and weak A Gap.

There was no place to run and Denver couldn't line up in the I to get the Pats* out of that look because their FB was injured. Denver's passing attack was 9 of 26 and they only put up ten points.

All a good DC will do to counter an effective aspect of the opposing offense is to defend it effectively without compromising the rest. Individual stats are only noticed as being indicative of something being effective. That something is scouted, studied and countered.
                The example I gave about Denver in 11 isn't exactly the rule but the exception. Our passing attack was highly ineffective for the majority of the game which allowed an easy adjustment for NE due to the versatility of their defense. You wouldn't get the same result with teams like the Cowboys and Seahawks. As a matter of fact I believe we could have had more success had our coaching staff not insisted on keeping to that plan of attack. We made it very easy for the Patriots in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                  When teams face Julius they may decide to put their best corner on him, something teams couldn't do vs Denver with DT and Sanders lined up on the outside.
                  Not to mention that he will likely have a less effective QB throwing his way.

Comment

Working...
                  X