Should the NFL get rid of kickoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the NFL get rid of kickoffs?

I don't know how many people have considered this, but I think it may be a good idea to remove kickoffs from the NFL. To those who like playing on and/or watching kickoff team, sorry but personally I think it may be a good idea to remove kick offs from the game.

I remember when the NFL moved kickoffs up to the 35, the idea seemingly being that they wanted more touch backs. I believe a commentator once said that the NFL was hoping for every kick off to be a touch back. If you want to limit the amount of kick offs, why even have the kickoff? Why not just always have an offense start at the 20 after a score?

Kick off team seems to me to be a high injury risk. You run full speed for about 40 yards and then perhaps have a collision with a blocker. There is likely a good reason why teams often don't like to put starters on kickoff team. It's kind of strange that in a 'player safety' era that there isn't more talk of this.

I play football, and I don't like playing kick off team personally. It isn't talked about very much, however I get the sense many players feel the same, but don't want to admit they don't like it due to thinking it will look bad. It seems guys look to get off the Special Teams. Some may see it as a way to make the team, however teams have back up players, you can make a team as a back up at an offensive or defensive position. Injuries are a risk in the game imo, however I personally don't want to put an extra risk for injury on myself playing on kickoff team, and I think that the game would be good without it.

Would you guys like to see kick offs eliminated?

Kick off was for players who didnt give an effff running full speed down the field ready to knock someone out with that being said i played high school ball and i loved kick off but kick return kinda sucked

It is high injury but a lot of guys make their living on special teams so i dont think theyll get rid of it anytime soon

Comment

Kickoffs and Punts are change of possession and an integral part of the game. They give each team an opportunity to achieve optimal FP, to score or force a turnover. Each of those possibilities has great influence on the outcome of a game when they happen.

Removing Special Teams would be another step in the direction of changing the game beyond recognition. Football is a full contact, collision team sport. Injuries have always been a possibility. Removing an integral part of the game won't change that.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

One question, what do you do about the onside kick?
        sigpic

Adopted Posters:
        Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
        Adopted By:
        Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
        Broncbeat

Comment

Absolutely not.

"Kickoff" is synonymous with the NFL. I would consider a sad day if it was ever removed.
          sigpic
          Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
            One question, what do you do about the onside kick?
            Great observation. There is a litany of strategy involved in the kickoff dynamic. Removing these subtleties presents us with a washed down game. Not to mention.... miricale comebacks just became far more rare.

Also, Patty Mac does not like this thread at all
            sigpic
            Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

Originally posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
              I don't know how many people have considered this, but I think it may be a good idea to remove kickoffs from the NFL. To those who like playing on and/or watching kickoff team, sorry but personally I think it may be a good idea to remove kick offs from the game.

I remember when the NFL moved kickoffs up to the 35, the idea seemingly being that they wanted more touch backs. I believe a commentator once said that the NFL was hoping for every kick off to be a touch back. If you want to limit the amount of kick offs, why even have the kickoff? Why not just always have an offense start at the 20 after a score?

Kick off team seems to me to be a high injury risk. You run full speed for about 40 yards and then perhaps have a collision with a blocker. There is likely a good reason why teams often don't like to put starters on kickoff team. It's kind of strange that in a 'player safety' era that there isn't more talk of this.

I play football, and I don't like playing kick off team personally. It isn't talked about very much, however I get the sense many players feel the same, but don't want to admit they don't like it due to thinking it will look bad. It seems guys look to get off the Special Teams. Some may see it as a way to make the team, however teams have back up players, you can make a team as a back up at an offensive or defensive position. Injuries are a risk in the game imo, however I personally don't want to put an extra risk for injury on myself playing on kickoff team, and I think that the game would be good without it.

Would you guys like to see kick offs eliminated?
              Either move kickoffs up the 50 or rename the sport.
              "People in the South Stands used to stand the whole game."

Comment

Flag football.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                  Flag football.
                  Flag Throwball. Not only is kicking the ball going to be illegal, but running with the ball is also going to be illegal.

Comment

Make it a poll

My answer is, NO.
                    The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                      Flag football.
                      You used one too many "L"s
                      sigpic
                      Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

No way Jose 👿

Comment

No. Actually, the NFL should move the kickoff back to the old spot. Football is not the only violent sport that leads to concussions. People can choose if they want to be accountants or gladiators. Though technology made football more popular and profitable than ever, the quality of the game is at an all-time low.
                          sigpic

Comment

Countdown to kickoff sounds way better than countdown to first possession.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                              No. Actually, the NFL should move the kickoff back to the old spot. Football is not the only violent sport that leads to concussions. People can choose if they want to be accountants or gladiators. Though technology made football more popular and profitable than ever, the quality of the game is at an all-time low.
                              The original spot was the 50 yard line.

Comment

Working...
                              X