Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Griffin III: 'I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the NFL'

- Robert Griffin III: 'I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the NFL' -

"You know it's the offseason when we're having a discussion about whether or not a particular NFL quarterback is ranked as the "X" best guy in the league. But this one is just silly. Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III believes he's the best quarterback in the NFL.

Or something close to it.

“I don't feel like I have to come out here and show anybody anything or why I'm better than this guy or better than that guy. It's more about going out and affirming that for me, I go out and I play, I know I'm the best quarterback on this team," Griffin told WJLA in an interview. "I feel like I'm the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that."" ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ack-in-the-nfl

He has devolved from one of my favorite NFL players (when he was originally coming in) to a total nut. It's a shame. I really had a lot of hope for RGIII

Comment

I feel I'm also the best QB in the NFL.
      sigpic
      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

i feel i am the best cfl QB..... wait, that might be true
        sigpic

Comment

If somebody needs to believe it, it's him.

Comment

Sign him up for the biggest helmet we have in the equipment room.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I believe he was the best quarterback in the league who was being interviewed by KJLA and making a statement about being the best quarterback in the league at that exact moment
              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

i feel like i am the best marksman on the planet!
                sigpic

Comment

2:22

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think it shows anything other than the mentality required to play this game at the highest level. Now is Griffin going to light it up this season and lead the league in all passing categories? That remains to be seen and seems highly unlikely, but his confidence was shaken coming off his injury and maybe he's just trying to get himself in the right mindset. Like TD said, this game is about playing with a swagger and believing in yourself. Whatever it takes to get the right mindset.
                  A book I wrote

Comment

The voices in his head may not be real, but at least they have goals.
                    sigpic
                    Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

I really dislike it when things get taken out of context.

Did anyone read everything he said?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...202640784.html

RG3:
                      “I don’t feel like I have to come out here and show anybody anything or why I’m better than this guy or better than that guy. It’s more about going out and affirming that for me, I go out and I play, I know I’m the best quarterback on this team. I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league and I have to go out and show that,” Griffin said, via the Washington Post. “Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me. But, I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.”

If you read that all, it makes sense. You don't want to concede if you're competing at the highest level. It's about proving to himself that he is a top NFL quarterback, and not trying to show he's better than this guy or that guy. Others have done more but he has the vision of being the best because he wants that mindset. It's very interesting to hear that side of his mental side of the game.

Oh, and then "I feel like I’m the best quarterback in the league" just became the latest Internet meme, grinding a pretty thoughtful interview into a few words and using it to rip Griffin. Ugh.
                      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                        I really dislike it when things get taken out of context.

Did anyone read everything he said?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...202640784.html
                        Yes, I read all of it. It's rhetoric, bluster, and nothing more.

He needs to be the best he can be, and if he wants to harbor these feelings internally, fine. But to vocalize them like this, well it's disrespectful to the many QB's who have proven they are far and away better than him at every turn.

He isn't tough enough to last long enough to see any of this to fruition, first of all. That's one thing he's proven to us all.

“Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me. But, I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.”

This makes zero sense. It sounds neat, at first. Trying to be the best isn't the same thing as thinking you are the best.

It's just blabbermouth nonsense.

All of this crap sounds the same to me as someone saying "You can do anything if you try hard enough".

No....no you cannot.
                        sigpic
                        Rogue Colts Fan

Comment

Originally posted by ruksak View Post
                          Yes, I read all of it. It's rhetoric, bluster, and nothing more.

He needs to be the best he can be, and if he wants to harbor these feelings internally, fine. But to vocalize them like this, well it's disrespectful to the many QB's who have proven they are far and away better than him at every turn.

He isn't tough enough to last long enough to see any of this to fruition, first of all. That's one thing he's proven to us all.

“Any athlete at any level, if they concede to someone else, they’re not a top competitor, they’re not trying to be the best that they can be. There’s guys in this league that have done way more than me. But, I still view myself as the best because that’s what I work toward every single day.”

This makes zero sense. It sounds neat, at first. Trying to be the best isn't the same thing as thinking you are the best.

It's just blabbermouth nonsense.

All of this crap sounds the same to me as someone saying "You can do anything if you try hard enough".

No....no you cannot.
                          Well, I guess we'll have to disagree. This has been making the rounds and mostly it's been that one line. I thought it would be good for people to be aware of what else he said. If you still feel the same, great.

One thing that surprised me during their preseason game. It was mentioned that he has a QB coach. His first one. With all the criticism that he's gotten, in and outside the team, I thought he would have had a QB coach way before this.
                          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I suppose to me it depends on how you go about approaching the game with a 'you have to believe your the best to be the best' mentality for whether or not it's a good thing to do imo.

To some degree, I do think it is helpful. You would likely have a hard time doing something in any area of the game if you didn't believe you could. For that reason, I think it can be good to believe that to an extent.

However, on the flip side, your belief about your abilities can effect your approach and strategy. If you believe you can do something when you can not, you may try a strategy that does not work well for you. You wouldn't want to use a strategy that you aren't likely able to execute with the abilities you have. Awareness of your abilities is key as well I think, and can be a big role in improving them imo.

Pride in your abilities can be helpful imo, however I also think that humility about your abilities can be helpful as well. I think a healthy balance of both is a good approach.

I think some guys may appear to be very cocky, however in their minds they may have more humility than you'd expect. You may see a DB that talks a lot of smack often make leg tackles, seemingly aware that they won't likely drive the ball carrier backwards, as opposed to going for the big hit. It's a skill of it's own, being a good 'leg tackler', but it isn't a style that seems to consist with the kind of 'smack talker' mentality some guys seem to act like they have.
                            Last edited by fallforward3y+; 08-17-2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

There is a huge difference and nothing wrong with saying "I believe that I can be one of the best QBs in the league" vs. I AM the best. You never hear elite QBs espouse that they are absolutely the best. They always say they are one of, as in it's OK to be in good company while having that discussion.

The "I AM THE BEST" crap is reserved for CB divas.

Comment

Working...
                              X