Other Than Broncos, I Am Very Interested In Cleveland's Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Than Broncos, I Am Very Interested In Cleveland's Draft

I seem to have a soft spot for Cleveland, particularly their fans. They deserve a better football team, but at least the sports gods have blessed them with an NBA title, and a very near World Series championship.

But this year, for a Browns' fan, must be an amazing storyline waiting to unfold. You have the #1 selection, which seems like a no brainer, followed by the #12 pick, which is usually a winner position, and followed again at #33 (which is basically round one caliber), #52 and #65.....and more. In summary, two great picks, followed by three potential year one starters....ok, I said "potential" starters.

If handled properly, this draft could be the impetus for a contending team for years to come. Think of those great drafts, where teams changed direction, for the long run. Dallas did it when they acquired a load for Walker. Pittsburgh had one "amazing" draft in 1974, acquiring 4 future Hall Of Famers!!! More examples for sure.

Where The Browns may go wrong is to over value a QB, likely Trubisky. #12 may not be a terrible spot, but they just have to score with these selections. The history of their selections is a disaster!! Sure, QBs are the drivers of this league, but not just any QB!

If I am The Browns leadership, I go for good quality, safe bets for at least 4 of these first 5 picks. I go D as much as possible, but also land one Offensive play maker as well. I do not hesitate to take MG at #1, unless some crazy revelation hits home overnight. But my first 2 selections should be as "can't miss" as possible. No deviation to the plan. Get quality and value. And get winners as well, hopefully in all picks. The culture needs to change, assuming coaching is now properly positioned.

Should be fun! But expect anything, trades up and down are in the cards.

And yes, all in all, I love draft trades. I hope there are plenty of them.....and I would not be upset if we make a deal or two either.

The Browns have had an interesting offseason. They have made it pretty clear that they value the offensive line, and talent-wise have one of the best lines in the NFL.

IMO Cleveland needs to draft Garrett at 1, and BPA at 12. If Foster, Hooker, or Allen fall to #12, that would be incredible for them. As long as they don't reach on a QB, they could turn this team around pretty fast.

Add a CB, WR, and QB in rounds 2-4 and they will be in much better shape than reaching for QB at 12.
    Last edited by SecondsAway131; 04-26-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      I seem to have a soft spot for Cleveland, particularly their fans. They deserve a better football team, but at least the sports gods have blessed them with an NBA title, and a very near World Series championship.

But this year, for a Browns' fan, must be an amazing storyline waiting to unfold. You have the #1 selection, which seems like a no brainer, followed by the #12 pick, which is usually a winner position, and followed again at #33 (which is basically round one caliber), #52 and #65.....and more. In summary, two great picks, followed by three potential year one starters....ok, I said "potential" starters.

If handled properly, this draft could be the impetus for a contending team for years to come. Think of those great drafts, where teams changed direction, for the long run. Dallas did it when they acquired a load for Walker. Pittsburgh had one "amazing" draft in 1974, acquiring 4 future Hall Of Famers!!! More examples for sure.

Where The Browns may go wrong is to over value a QB, likely Trubisky. #12 may not be a terrible spot, but they just have to score with these selections. The history of their selections is a disaster!! Sure, QBs are the drivers of this league, but not just any QB!

If I am The Browns leadership, I go for good quality, safe bets for at least 4 of these first 5 picks. I go D as much as possible, but also land one Offensive play maker as well. I do not hesitate to take MG at #1, unless some crazy revelation hits home overnight. But my first 2 selections should be as "can't miss" as possible. No deviation to the plan. Get quality and value. And get winners as well, hopefully in all picks. The culture needs to change, assuming coaching is now properly positioned.

And yes, all in all, I love draft trades. I hope there are plenty of them.....and I would not be upset if we make a deal or two either.
      Hope they don't screw it up, per usual.
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Cleveland has eleven picks and the last one is #188. They have #s 1, 12, 33, 52 and 65.

I guess they need to figure out if their team can absorb eleven rookies. If not, they may trade up for a specific guy.

The Browns have a good coaching staff that knows what to do. They are in a tough division and play AFCS, NFCN, Jets at home and at Chargers. They lost five games by less than a TD, two in OT. A reasonable goal for this season would be four wins which is doable.

They need to win some games in order to retain their own free agents. They will probably draft a QB. Do they keep Osweiler? Who knows? The Browns are building and this draft offers a great opportunity if they do a good job.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

It's funny, I have always since the kosar days had a spot for the Browns. I really liked Bernie, he was a a class act and a really good QB. I liked Metcalf and loved some of those old school o line they had back then. I would really like to see them get good enough to beat up on Pitt and balt I hate both of those teams with a passion.

MG is one of those guys that looks like a man among boys regardless of who the other men are. Will be fun if we get to watch him smash Big Ben over the next few years.
          GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
          sigpic

Comment

The rumor I've heard is that Cleveland will take Garrett and then try to trade up with SF for #2 to take Trubisky.

With QB's a lot of how teams know they like a guy is within meetings so if they've met with Trubisky and are convinced he can be the guy it's not a terrible strategy. So long as they don't get crazy and give up future #1 choices they could conceivably give up like 12, 33 and maybe a 4th. Oakland made a similar deal with Miami when Miami moved up to 3 to grab Dion Jordan.

If I'm in charge of Cleveland I stand pat at 12, see if something crazy happens like Adams, Lattimore, Allen or Thomas falling for whatever reason, stick with the board and grab another impact player. If a QB like Maholms is there at 33 I'd consider grabbing him there but I wouldn't paint myself into a corner to grab a QB at all cost. Cleveland still has Brock and Kessler on the roster. If the talent on offense has improved enough I think either of them could be serviceable.
            A book I wrote

Comment

I am looking forward to the Jaguars draft as they are my #2 team. I hope they find a way to trade down and get more picks while acquiring OJ Howard or maybe they want McCaffrey.
              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post
                The rumor I've heard is that Cleveland will take Garrett and then try to trade up with SF for #2 to take Trubisky.

With QB's a lot of how teams know they like a guy is within meetings so if they've met with Trubisky and are convinced he can be the guy it's not a terrible strategy. So long as they don't get crazy and give up future #1 choices they could conceivably give up like 12, 33 and maybe a 4th. Oakland made a similar deal with Miami when Miami moved up to 3 to grab Dion Jordan.

If I'm in charge of Cleveland I stand pat at 12, see if something crazy happens like Adams, Lattimore, Allen or Thomas falling for whatever reason, stick with the board and grab another impact player. If a QB like Maholms is there at 33 I'd consider grabbing him there but I wouldn't paint myself into a corner to grab a QB at all cost. Cleveland still has Brock and Kessler on the roster. If the talent on offense has improved enough I think either of them could be serviceable.
                I guess I would ask this if I were the Browns....is Jimmy G or McCarron better then a player I'd draft at pick #12? Is either of them better than the current QB's on my roster now?

If the answer to both questions is yes wouldn't I trade #12 for either one of those players?

Comment

Originally posted by CTM View Post

For their sake, I hope they do not move up that much to land a QB. It could be another in a long line of lost opportunities. I agree with you, get BPA at 12, and maybe draft a QB at 33. #52 might work as well. As I mentioned, go get safe, solid picks. Build a future around blue chippers. BPAs at every selection pretty much, other than the QB we talk about. MG, followed by names like Howard or CMac, or Foster, or someone else coveted by the league (at 12). This can be the year of the future.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 04-26-2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

A lot to this draft spins around The Browns, given the unknown behind a QB selection on their part. Trades may be the result of a move up. But who knows, maybe they move down to really stock up!

Ian Rapoport says that they may still go with MG at 1, and BPA at 12...which I think makes the most sense. Unless they are ABSOLUTELY convinced that Trubisky is a sure bet, I would not move up much to get him. Two great picks at 1 and 12 will enhance their position, along with smart picks at 33, 52 and 65. And as mentioned, why not go QB at 32 or 52, if a good one is there?

The beauty (as you all know) of BPA is that you gain competitive advantage if you do your scouting properly. Teams that reach may get "their guy", which is sometimes the right maneuver pending needs, fit, and so on, but reaching too often will definitely do one thing for you.....deflate value. If you keep getting players higher than they are valued, you lose value, and repeating that process keeps on keeping on.

Even though I am not a big Cleveland fan, I hope they do it right tonight and tomorrow. Five really good chances to make a huge difference down the road. They also have 2 in round four and 3 in round five to start things off on Saturday. So many good picks that I would even encourage them to move up at some point, if someone special is not too far ahead.

Cmon Cleveland...do it right tonight and tomorrow! Give your fans something to feel great about. Miles is a big start in that direction. But be smart afterwards, and again, if Trubisky is "your guy" please do not pay too much to land him!

(I'd be going after Foster at 12, or Howard if he is in the vicinity...talk about a QB's friend!!)
                    Last edited by CanDB; 04-27-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duhyaj View Post
                      It's funny, I have always since the kosar days had a spot for the Browns. I really liked Bernie, he was a a class act and a really good QB. I liked Metcalf and loved some of those old school o line they had back then. I would really like to see them get good enough to beat up on Pitt and balt I hate both of those teams with a passion.

MG is one of those guys that looks like a man among boys regardless of who the other men are. Will be fun if we get to watch him smash Big Ben over the next few years.
                      Kosar never played for this team. Neither did Metcalf. The NFL wants to treat this team as if it was the same team those players played for - but the reality is this team played its first game in 1999. Because they'd rather fool football fans that this same team that struggles to win a single game was once one of the winningest teams in NFL history. It isn't.

This team has played one playoff game in its entire history and it was a loss to the Steelers.
                      Last edited by Charlie Brown; 04-27-2017, 06:38 PM.
                      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

They nailed it in the first!!!

It's about time

Comment

Good for the Browns
                          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

The funny thing about this Browns draft, is that it shows how biased the media is. A lot of people in the media are bashing the Browns for not taking a quarterback.

If they had taken Watson at 12, the narrative would be that they screwed up on Trubisky and panicked when they took Watson. Even better, if Bill Belichick was the Browns GM, the narrative would be that Belichick knows these quarterbacks aren't worth a first round pick, and masterfully played everyone in the draft. I like the Belichick scenario. Instead of hearing about the Browns needing a quarterback, we'd be hearing about how John Elway knew that Brock Osweiler was a starting quarterback.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                              The funny thing about this Browns draft, is that it shows how biased the media is. A lot of people in the media are bashing the Browns for not taking a quarterback.

If they had taken Watson at 12, the narrative would be that they screwed up on Trubisky and panicked when they took Watson. Even better, if Bill Belichick was the Browns GM, the narrative would be that Belichick knows these quarterbacks aren't worth a first round pick, and masterfully played everyone in the draft. I like the Belichick scenario. Instead of hearing about the Browns needing a quarterback, we'd be hearing about how John Elway knew that Brock Osweiler was a starting quarterback.
                              The Browns are finally realizing that drafting a QB means nothing if the rest of the team is garbage. They're fixing the OL, adding playmakers, and making the defense better.

Comment

Working...
                              X