No announcement yet.

Jon Gruden (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. And my initial spoiled comment was directed at the numerous “blow it up and start over” “we need a full rebuild” comments. Everyone should expect to win.. but not one head coach/GM would look at this roster and think we need a full rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
      There is a very big difference between expecting to see a winning product which is what we all expect, and crying like little babies and demanding every person in the organization be fired over one losing season. That is why some of you are being labeled spoiled.

It is very possible for both to exist. To be allowed to expect dominance and winning ways while not acting like spoiled children when it doesn’t go your way.

Some staff should be fired and several players should be upgraded. But the level of demands on these boards has become quite assenine.
      Which is why "I" am being labeled as spoiled? Are you kidding me? I've been on your gravy train for a couple of posts now, but this post is ridiculous. I'm not crying like some punk ass kid nor am I crying and asking that people be fired over this debacle. But you..,,
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
        Which is why "I" am being labeled as spoiled? Are you kidding me? I've been on your gravy train for a couple of posts now, but this post is ridiculous. I'm not crying like some punk ass kid nor am I crying and asking that people be fired over this debacle. But you..,,
        Slow down. You are assuming I am referencing you. When I haven’t heard you whine about any players or front office personell that I can think of. So I’m not calling you anything.

All I’m saying is it’s fair to call Broncos fans spoiled because there are some ridiculous levels of extremes going on around here and i don’t feel it’s unfair to refer to it as spoiled.

I agree with you that there are high levels of expectations as there should be.

All I’m saying is the ones calling for elways Head after 6 years of success and one awful year are 100% spoiled.
        sigpic

Comment

Just say no to Gruden

Every QB hes hot and heavy on's been a bust from the camp

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
            Just say no to Gruden

Every QB hes hot and heavy on's been a bust from the camp
            I've never understood the nationwide infatuation with Gruden. He won one SB with Tony Dungy's players and outside of that could never win a playoff game.
            sigpic

Comment

Slow down. You are assuming I am referencing you. When I haven’t heard you whine about any players or front office personell that I can think of. So I’m not calling you anything.

All I’m saying is it’s fair to call Broncos fans spoiled because there are some ridiculous levels of extremes going on around here and i don’t feel it’s unfair to refer to it as spoiled.

I agree with you that there are high levels of expectations as there should be.

All I’m saying is the ones calling for elways Head after 6 years of success and one awful year are 100% spoiled.
              It's apparent from this exchange that you should have said "SOME Broncos fans are spoiled", not "Broncos fans are spoiled".

Comment

I've never understood the nationwide infatuation with Gruden. He won one SB with Tony Dungy's players and outside of that could never win a playoff game.
                People seem to forget the team he built in Oakland went to the same Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertR View Post
                  It's apparent from this exchange that you should have said "SOME Broncos fans are spoiled", not "Broncos fans are spoiled".
                  Fair point. Because I don't consider myself spoiled and obviously am a Broncos fan.
                  sigpic

Comment

Gruden also made a couple of statements last month that he was open to returning to coaching, the first time on the Rich Eisen show, I believe.

The Bucs are interested in bringing him back (their team really took a nosedive in the standings after he departed), and last month he was courted by the University of Tennesssee. Reportedly he wants $10M a year. The typical HC salary range is allegedly $4-8M (many HC contracts are private), but he would undoubtedly be getting top pay for leaving the comparatively low-stress and cushy ESPN job to make it worth his while.

Gruden was an assistant under George Seifert (Niners) and Mike Holmgren (Packers) before he took over a Raiders team in 1998 which was 4-12 the previous year under first-year coach Joe Bugel (who BTW was in over his head posting the worst record since 1963 -sound familiar, Broncos Country?) Gruden got them out of the league and division basement to 8-8, 2nd place in the AFC West (obviously the Broncos were 1st). He got them back to the playoffs in 2000 for the first time since 1993, won the division title, and made it all the way to the conference championship where they fell to a suffocating Ravens' defense (as did the Broncos the game before that).

He spent four seasons with Oakland before he was traded to Tampa Bay. He was able to significantly improve the Raiders team -especially their offense to top 5 levels-

OAK offense rankings went from #22 pts #18 yds in '98 to #3 pts #6 yds in '00.

OAK 1998 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC West
                    OAK 1999 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC West
                    OAK 2000 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC West Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Championship Game.
                    OAK 2001 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC West Lost to New England Patriots in AFC Divisional Game. *TUCK RULE

He spent seven seasons in Tampa where he successfully retooled Tampa's previously inept offense to a respectable level (with QB Brad Johnson of all people) so that the defense-dominant team could finally get over the hump and advance in the playoffs all the way to a SB 37 win against his former Raiders team. TB blew out its opponents by wide margins in that run -- 31-6 on the Niners, 48-21 on the Raiders.

TB 2002 12 4 0 .750 1st in NFC South Super Bowl XXXVII champions
                    TB 2003 7 9 0 .438 3rd in NFC South -
                    TB 2004 5 11 0 .312 4th in NFC South
                    TB 2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in NFC South Lost to Washington Redskins in NFC Wild-Card Game.
                    TB 2006 4 12 0 .250 4th in NFC South
                    TB 2007 9 7 0 .563 1st in NFC South Lost to New York Giants in NFC Wild-Card Game.
                    TB 2008 9 7 0 .563 3rd in NFC South

After SB 37, the standings fell as the team was decimated by a slew of misfortunes which were not Gruden's fault. Buccaneers executive vice president Joel Glazer (the Glazers own the Bucs) discussed the state of the Buccaneers in an interview in which he defended Gruden's performance, citing lost draft picks, injuries, and salary cap issues. [Bill Parcells had actually turned down the Bucs HC job because he was warned of the impending salary cap disaster there.] Many defensive stars were lost, including John Lynch to the Broncos in 2004. Basically the same thing happened to the Ravens after their 2000 SB and their roster was depleted too.

People say that Gruden "doesn't get along with players", but his conflicts were with some outspoken veteran stars who had a lot of acrimony (and lack of understanding) over the fall in standings and his coaching decisions. These were primadonna big mouths Warren Sapp, Keyshawn Johnson, and Keenan McCardell -all of whom had issues with other players and coaches too.

Gruden did NOT have GM control in Oakland (which was under Al Davis) nor Tampa Bay (under Rich McKay then Bruce Allen), so he would not expect that wherever he coaches.

Overall Coaching Record:
                    95-81 .540 regular season
                    5-4 .506 postseason

I want a smart, offensive-minded coach who will prioritize ours and fix it, as well as a tougher, no-nonsense coach who will motivate the players. Gruden fits that bill, he knows what it takes to succeed, he's been there! He would be a good option for Denver, one of the best out there right now, though I would prefer either Harbaugh brother over him.
                    Last edited by L.M.; 12-08-2017, 11:31 AM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by munoz1987 View Post
                      Gruden wants a veteran QB because he never could develop a QB.
                      He is the type of coach that wants to buy the groceries and cook the dinner, Elway will never let that happen.
                      Gruden never had GM control.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                        His personality starts to grate on people around him very quickly. Any team that hires him will probably be looking for another coach in a couple of years.
                        Well he won't be too soft and friendly with the players, but yeah he "grated" on Sapp and Keyshawn who were obnoxious themselves.

Comment

That's not true though, he won with Oakland. The important thing is he didn't interfere with that already great defense, he just worked on the offense, that's what he was brought in to do, and that's what we need.

Comment

There is a very big difference between expecting to see a winning product which is what we all expect, and crying like little babies and demanding every person in the organization be fired over one losing season. That is why some of you are being labeled spoiled.

It is very possible for both to exist. To be allowed to expect dominance and winning ways while not acting like spoiled children when it doesn’t go your way.

Some staff should be fired and several players should be upgraded. But the level of demands on these boards has become quite assenine.
                            I agree with you in large part. Being a fan of a successful franchise, one becomes accustomed to winning (or at the very least fielding a competitive team that has an outside chance) – which of course is a good thing. But the shock of having a bottom ranked team for many fans, is like jumping into the north Atlantic in the winter from the veranda of your warm and comfy stateroom. Many fans simply don’t know how to deal, and demand the severed heads of the entire front office.

One down season for the Denver Broncos is certainly not the end of the world. Another poster mentioned this (I apologize but I forget who), that wins and ultimately success are hard to come by in the NFL. Understanding and experiencing the “low” serves to enhance the appreciation of the “high” when this team is back to contending. I don’t think one season of crawling through the muck is a huge price to pay for many many years of future dominance.

I also think there is perhaps a misunderstanding that people are “ok” with a terrible season. I don’t think anyone should ever be content to have a season like this…but they do happen. We’ll take our lumps this year…rise up from the ashes, then give them out tenfold.
                            To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                              That's not true though, he won with Oakland. The important thing is he didn't interfere with that already great defense, he just worked on the offense, that's what he was brought in to do, and that's what we need.
                              You kind of already proved my point with mentioning his playoff record earlier. I credit him for the SB year. But take aside from that he is 2-4 in the postseason. I get he can win and get you to the playoffs. Which I'm sure we would take right now. But I don't really trust him to go beyond that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                                I agree with you in large part. Being a fan of a successful franchise, one becomes accustomed to winning (or at the very least fielding a competitive team that has an outside chance) – which of course is a good thing. But the shock of having a bottom ranked team for many fans, is like jumping into the north Atlantic in the winter from the veranda of your warm and comfy stateroom. Many fans simply don’t know how to deal, and demand the severed heads of the entire front office.

One down season for the Denver Broncos is certainly not the end of the world. Another poster mentioned this (I apologize but I forget who), that wins and ultimately success are hard to come by in the NFL. Understanding and experiencing the “low” serves to enhance the appreciation of the “high” when this team is back to contending. I don’t think one season of crawling through the muck is a huge price to pay for many many years of future dominance.

I also think there is perhaps a misunderstanding that people are “ok” with a terrible season. I don’t think anyone should ever be content to have a season like this…but they do happen. We’ll take our lumps this year…rise up from the ashes, then give them out tenfold.
                                I agree. I absolutely am not happy with this season and expect some turnover. I just don't want the entire organization from players to front office replaced.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X