Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Browns, what would YOU do?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The Cleveland Browns were a charter member club of the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) when the league was founded in 1946. From 1946 to 1949, the Browns won each of the league's four championships. The National Football League (NFL) does not recognize the Browns' AAFC championships; however, the Pro Football Hall of Fame does recognize the team's championships, which is reflected in this list. When the AAFC folded in 1949, the Browns were absorbed into the NFL in 1950. The Browns went on to win three NFL championships, nearly dominating the NFL in the 1950s, and won one more NFL championship in 1964. The team has yet to appear in a Super Bowl, however. Overall, the team has won eight championships: four in the AAFC, and four in the NFL.

    Comment


    • #17
      With all due respect, and this is coming from a Buckeyes fan, JT Barrett will never play a down in the NFL as a QB and is the reason the Buckeyes missed out on National title opportunities this year and last year. The year we won it was because Cardale Jones came in and played out of his mind.
      Barrett had a nice college career, not great, but nice. Troy Smith was 10 times the QB Barrett is and you see how far he got in the NFL.
      As far as what I would do if I was the Browns?
      With the #1 pick I would do my due diligence on all of the top QBs and takes the best fit for me. Whether it be Rosen, Allen, or Darnold. One of those guys would get drafted 1st overall.
      With the 4th pick I would take BPA. So basically you’re lookijg at either Barkley or Fitzpatrick. In round 1 you wind up with 2 blue chip playmakers.
      The Browns need to quit passing on studs and trading down to accumulate picks. No matter what they do they will never have 2 picks in the top 5 again.
      They need to quit being morons and draft a franchise QB and another playmaker.
      Since they have so much cap space if I were them also I would trade a 2nd rounder for Alex Smith as a 1-2 year stop gap, to groom my young gun. I would acquire a FA WR to pair with Gordon like Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins, sign Jimmy Graham, a couple mid-tier linemen for depth, a top LB and top CB.
      They don’t need to trade back from any pick, if anything they should draft 2 studs at 1 and 4, then use both of their 2nds and a 3rd to move back into the late teens of round 1 to get another stud. This isn’t Pokémon, you don’t collect em all.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
        The Cleveland Browns were a charter member club of the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) when the league was founded in 1946. From 1946 to 1949, the Browns won each of the league's four championships. The National Football League (NFL) does not recognize the Browns' AAFC championships; however, the Pro Football Hall of Fame does recognize the team's championships, which is reflected in this list. When the AAFC folded in 1949, the Browns were absorbed into the NFL in 1950. The Browns went on to win three NFL championships, nearly dominating the NFL in the 1950s, and won one more NFL championship in 1964. The team has yet to appear in a Super Bowl, however. Overall, the team has won eight championships: four in the AAFC, and four in the NFL.
        What happened to that team in 1995?

        The answer: the organization relocated to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Ravens.

        A new team had an expansion draft in 1999 and “inherited” the records. So, the actual physical team that won those championships left to Baltimore.

        So, like I said. Retire the team name retroactively to 1995 and declare the 1999-present organization exactly what it is - a brand new team similar to the Oilers-Titans.
        Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-07-2018, 03:40 PM.
        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

        The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

        Comment


        • #19
          I think alot of people love the Browns and they will get it together eventually.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
            What happened to that team in 1995?

            The answer: the organization relocated to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Ravens.

            A new team had an expansion draft in 1999 and “inherited” the records. So, the actual physical team that won those championships left to Baltimore.

            So, like I said. Retire the team name retroactively to 1995 and declare the 1999-present organization exactly what it is - a brand new team similar to the Oilers-Titans.
            If the Ravens had kept the name then I think the record would follow. Since they didn't keep the name, I think it's totally legit for the city to assume the name and record with an expansion franchise.

            I'd feel the same if Seattle was awarded an NBA expansion team.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
              I think alot of people love the Browns and they will get it together eventually.
              Playing pretend will not fix them.

              They are a team with no identity. Every week they pretend to be something they are not. Fans of other teams (like Denver) look at Cleveland and wish it was the 80s. This is not the team that played in Cleveland in the 80s. That team is in Baltimore. Pittsburgh was Cleveland’s main rival. Now that rivalry only exists in Cleveland. Cleveland fans hate Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh doesn’t care one bit about Cleveland. That rivalry now is The Baltimore-Pittsburgh rivalry. Cleveland and Cincinnati were rivals. Now the rivalry that exists there is in name only. Nobody cares.

              It’s not some thing that wanes and shines, etc. It is gone - it is in Baltimore. Acknowledging the Elephant in the room is the first step in fixing anything. It is like the stages of grief. Cleveland still has not accepted the truth. The truth is that the Browns are gone and have been gone since 1995. Accept it and let them die.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

              The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                Playing pretend will not fix them.

                They are a team with no identity. Every week they pretend to be something they are not. Fans of other teams (like Denver) look at Cleveland and wish it was the 80s. This is not the team that played in Cleveland in the 80s. That team is in Baltimore. Pittsburgh was Cleveland’s main rival. Now that rivalry only exists in Cleveland. Cleveland fans hate Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh doesn’t care one bit about Cleveland. That rivalry now is The Baltimore-Pittsburgh rivalry. Cleveland and Cincinnati were rivals. Now the rivalry that exists there is in name only. Nobody cares.

                It’s not some thing that wanes and shines, etc. It is gone - it is in Baltimore. Acknowledging the Elephant in the room is the first step in fixing anything. It is like the stages of grief. Cleveland still has not accepted the truth. The truth is that the Browns are gone and have been gone since 1995. Accept it and let them die.
                Oh,,, ok.
                Sounds good!

                Comment


                • #23
                  I would trade the number one pick for some more 3-5 rounders.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                    What happened to that team in 1995?

                    The answer: the organization relocated to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Ravens.

                    A new team had an expansion draft in 1999 and “inherited” the records. So, the actual physical team that won those championships left to Baltimore.

                    So, like I said. Retire the team name retroactively to 1995 and declare the 1999-present organization exactly what it is - a brand new team similar to the Oilers-Titans.
                    What makes up a team/franchise, Charlie?

                    The answer is of course its people, and change of personnel -in all departments- is the one constant in the NFL. The Broncos of today, for example, are not the Broncos of the '70s or '80s. It's now a totally different organization, different management, different coaches, different players. with different practice facilities and a different stadium, so are they "impostors" too?

                    Identity (or supposed lackthereof) is not the problem with the current Cleveland Browns. What they need to do is obliterate the FO and probably the coaching staff and start over from there.

                    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The main issues the Browns have faced in recent years isn't just with talent but primarily with management. The new GM was / is right to point the finger at the GM and staff for squandered opportunities. Get the FO in order and get a serious HC and coaching staff that are willing to push their players and push themselves.

                      They have a serious chance in this draft and FA to strike gold but if they continue to set the bar at mediocrity then that's all they should expect.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                        What makes up a team/franchise, Charlie?

                        The answer is of course its people, and change of personnel -in all departments- is the one constant in the NFL. The Broncos of today, for example, are not the Broncos of the '70s or '80s. It's now a totally different organization, different management, different coaches, different players. with different practice facilities and a different stadium, so are they "impostors" too?

                        Identity (or supposed lackthereof) is not the problem with the current Cleveland Browns. What they need to do is obliterate the FO and probably the coaching staff and start over from there.
                        Identity has been an ongoing problem with that team.

                        They have been hiring people like Jim Brown in an attempt to get people that played for the real Browns to become involved with this replacement. Look at the Mural fiasco they had with Mangini. Look at the new jerseys the new owner pushed to increase sales.

                        They are struggling not only with identity but also the fact that they are a garbage fire on all levels. Denver never relocated and the core nucleus of the team remains intact. Bowlen (despite his ailment) continues to technically own the team as he has for decades. The front office may change for Denver but the core nucleus remains the same. Denver’s changes are natural changes. Denver had a stable front office since Bowlen bought the team and even bore it was relatively stable.

                        Cleveland? They began play in 1999 and every year has been a disaster. It’s been such a disaster that they have had 3 owners over 18 years. Not only have they had three owners, they have undergone front office changes nearly every single year because they are a new team that again, began play in 1999.

                        Cleveland in 18 years has had as many owners as Denver has in the entire history.
                        Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM.
                        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                        The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          First I would hire Kevin Costner......

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            First I would hire Kevin Costner......
                            I think even Sonny's team won at least one game.
                            Last edited by Hph5; 01-10-2018, 03:28 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                              Identity has been an ongoing problem with that team.

                              They have been hiring people like Jim Brown in an attempt to get people that played for the real Browns to become involved with this replacement. Look at the Mural fiasco they had with Mangini. Look at the new jerseys the new owner pushed to increase sales.

                              They are struggling not only with identity but also the fact that they are a garbage fire on all levels. Denver never relocated and the core nucleus of the team remains intact. Bowlen (despite his ailment) continues to technically own the team as he has for decades. The front office may change for Denver but the core nucleus remains the same. Denver’s changes are natural changes. Denver had a stable front office since Bowlen bought the team and even bore it was relatively stable.

                              Cleveland? They began play in 1999 and every year has been a disaster. It’s been such a disaster that they have had 3 owners over 18 years. Not only have they had three owners, they have undergone front office changes nearly every single year because they are a new team that again, began play in 1999.

                              Cleveland in 18 years has had as many owners as Denver has in the entire history.
                              Lots of teams change or alter uniforms to boost sales and in hopes that a new image or fresh look will spark the teams at least a little, it's part of pulling out all the stops. Maybe it helped (slightly) for the Broncos and Bucs in 1997 boosting some team pride and excitement, but prerequisite to that is some established competency and success which comes from effective management.

                              And I don't think it matters that Lerner sold to Halsam. Modell wasn't the original owner of the Browns either, and he no longer owns the Ravens -whoopdedoo.

                              There is no "nucleus" left from the Broncos old teams of the past, and no the FO has not remained the same either. Turnover is inevitable, says Father Time.

                              The Browns aren't an animal born to a mother but the product of a couple of men involving contracts, paperwork, etc. all subject to decisions for change like any other business. The franchises are all artificial so there's nothing truly "unnatural" about moving or forming an expansion.

                              That said, it really doesn't matter that the Browns were reincarnated as an expansion --the names and uniforms are completely superficial elements. Because people are what really comprise a team, the true problem at the deeper level concerns the people running the organization and the way it's been run over the years, If it had been competent and stable from the outset, the team would have become more competitive, and winning makes ALL the difference and erases any notion about an identity crisis.

                              This team is not under a supernatural curse nor is it unfixable, and they can still field a competitive unit and give the people of Cleveland something to cheer about --so long as it's run successfully from the top down. Maybe John Dorsey is the answer? I know Parcells was a consultant, but I think they really need him to run the whole show as head coach and GM. If he wasn't too old and retired maybe he would. A smart, hardassed, no-nonsense disciplinarian of that caliber would definitely turn it around in short order and restore some pride and dignity to the franchise.

                              Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                So to recap, The Browns have 6 of the first 65 selections....#1, #4, #33, #36, #63 and #65. Interestingly (to me), that's just one more than last year as follows:
                                #1 - Garrett
                                #25 - Peppers
                                #29 - Njoku
                                #52 - Kizer
                                #65 - Ogunjobi

                                I am going to take a leap and state that, given there has been a change in a management, and given that they would have to be completely misguided to miss out on at least a few quality players in this year's draft, and given that some of the previous year's picks will be successful....The Cleveland Browns will turn the corner by the latter part of 2018.

                                WHAT A LEAP!!!

                                Again.....can I some how become the new GM, and take on the job of offseason acquisitions via FA, Draft, Trade? Heck, I'd do it for peanuts compared to what these dudes make. My goodness, "normally" this would be a dream job, given the selections available, and the excitement surrounding change.
                                Last edited by CanDB; 01-11-2018, 12:33 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X