Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleveland Makes Another Deal - Olivier Vernon for Kevin Zeitler (etc.)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cleveland Makes Another Deal - Olivier Vernon for Kevin Zeitler (etc.)

    The Browns keep making noise. They traded for LB Vernon and a 4th from The Giants in exchange for Guard Kevin Zeitler and a 5th. If Cleveland has a strong enough Oline, this is a solid deal, given what Vernon brings. The Giants clearly need to make another upgrade on their line, so it may be a good deal all around.

    I am captivated by the Cleveland activity, which has become more of a positive for them...including an outstanding draft last season. Adding Kareem Hunt is controversial, but some team was going to acquire him. Can they get his game and make him a wiser person along the way?

    Thoughts on the latest deal?

  • #2
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    The Browns keep making noise. They traded for LB Vernon and a 4th from The Giants in exchange for Guard Kevin Zeitler and a 5th. If Cleveland has a strong enough Oline, this is a solid deal, given what Vernon brings. The Giants clearly need to make another upgrade on their line, so it may be a good deal all around.

    I am captivated by the Cleveland activity, which has become more of a positive for them...including an outstanding draft last season. Adding Kareem Hunt is controversial, but some team was going to acquire him. Can they get his game and make him a wiser person along the way?

    Thoughts on the latest deal?
    I think they've done a very good job at turning things around. Just needed the right QB to come in start the ball rolling. Kareem Hunt is not surprising either as they want to have the most dynamic backfield with both speed and power.

    I'm surprised they traded Zeitler though, I felt he was one of the better players on the O-line for them. They might be eyeing Connor McGovern in the draft
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

    Comment


    • #3
      The Browns have been building a good roster and everything always seems to fall into place once a team finds a QB, which they did last year. I'm not sure these moves are going to make much difference though, Vernon wasn't good in NY and Hunt probably won't play for at least this season.

      If they can have another good draft they could become the new team to beat in the AFC North

      Comment


      • #4
        Living near Giants territory, I can tell you they are all happy Vernon is gone. He got hyped and overpaid.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
          The Browns have been building a good roster and everything always seems to fall into place once a team finds a QB, which they did last year. I'm not sure these moves are going to make much difference though, Vernon wasn't good in NY and Hunt probably won't play for at least this season.

          If they can have another good draft they could become the new team to beat in the AFC North
          Magic formula.....find the guy who will guide your team for a decade (or more) and you can settle in with the business of building a total team. Lacking that player can get in the way of smart decision making.

          Comment


          • #6
            FTR...Olivier had the 3rd most pressures in the league, behind only Mack and Donald. Pretty good player!

            Comment


            • #7
              I guess they have an OG prospect they really love. Vernon isn’t bad, but I don’t think he’s as good as Zeitler and there’s some serious pass rushing depth in this draft. Although the oline depth is pretty good as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                The Browns keep making noise. They traded for LB Vernon and a 4th from The Giants in exchange for Guard Kevin Zeitler and a 5th. If Cleveland has a strong enough Oline, this is a solid deal, given what Vernon brings. The Giants clearly need to make another upgrade on their line, so it may be a good deal all around.

                I am captivated by the Cleveland activity, which has become more of a positive for them...including an outstanding draft last season. Adding Kareem Hunt is controversial, but some team was going to acquire him. Can they get his game and make him a wiser person along the way?

                Thoughts on the latest deal?
                He's going to be suspended to start the year. The question is how many games will that be?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                  He's going to be suspended to start the year. The question is how many games will that be?
                  I realize that...but thanks. I am quite sure they will be in good hands with Chubb till that point, or long after. In fact, acquiring Hunt was little surprising, given Chubb's effectiveness. So if they ever get a Chubb/Hunt backfield running on all cylinders, with their young, dynamic QB, this O might be scary good!

                  And they have talent in their D, which just got a lift with the 3rd most pressure player joining them.

                  .....just to repeat (from a post I made elsewhere):

                  In 2018 The Browns ended at 7 wins / 8 losses / 1 tie. In 7 games, they missed out on a win by an average of 3.6 points. This with a rookie QB and RB, among other new faces.

                  My gut tells me, with a reasonable injury related season, they will win at very least, 10 games this year. On the upside, possibly 12 or more
                  .


                  With some maturation, chemistry and perhaps even a bit of luck...and yes, recognizing that no 2 seasons are going to be the same....I can see this team leading their division into the playoffs.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 03-09-2019, 10:44 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Vernon paired with Garrett could be formidable.

                    It won't shock me at all if Cleveland wins their division (Pitt getting old and losing talent, Bal in transition might be good but who knows, Cincy still a few years away) this season and is in contention for a first round bye.
                    A book I wrote

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CTM View Post
                      Vernon paired with Garrett could be formidable.

                      It won't shock me at all if Cleveland wins their division (Pitt getting old and losing talent, Bal in transition might be good but who knows, Cincy still a few years away) this season and is in contention for a first round bye.
                      Now they've added Sheldon Richardson, which gives them another decent player to help out on that dline. That is becoming a nice looking D. If they shave just a FG off last year's points against, they are top 10 in D scoring, which would nicely complement Mayfield and company.
                      Last edited by CanDB; 03-12-2019, 09:14 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X