What is your standard for the HOF ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Maybe they need to differentiate between HOF level players, and some sort of longevity award for everyone else that had a pretty good and long-lived career (e.g., The Bus, Eli, etc.).

That way, they can still give out a special career distinction for deserving players without watering down the HOF.
    I like that idea. Its good to award longevity because its tough to stay in this league for a long time, but the HOF should be for the best of the best.

Comment

The HoF should be reserved for those that become and remained consistently elite at their positions (this allows for players who took a couple seasons to find their mojo).

The problem with any hall of fame (whether it be the NFL, MLB, Rock and Roll, whatever) is it's first 2 or 3 of decades are easy as there is an undisputed list of elite players to choose from. Once you get all the truly great inducted, what next? How does the HoF stay relevant to the modern fan who was born after these original elite's played? HoF's start dropping the bar and the definition of elite slips. Add in media market bias and you have a complete farce (the Jerome Bettis argument...where it's better to have a cool nickname and a long career than truly being elite). Shoot, look at Atwater...IMO he was one of the 2 hardest hitting safeties of his time...(and he had the best nickname ) yet Ronnie Lott was a 1st time ballot inductee and we're still waiting for The Smiling Assassin??? Meanwhile other safeties have been inducted since Atwater became eligible and there's no way you can convince me they had better careers or played the position better than our #27.

In conclusion, I'd have to say as the years go by I get more and more disenchanted in the HoF and I doubt that will change
      "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
      PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
      LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        Frank Gore will be an interesting case of whether the best players go into the hall or if you just get in for longevity as well, which IMO is wrong.

Frank was a very good back for a few years but the HOF should be reserved for the elite and he was never in the same class as recent backs like AP or LT for example.
        This is where I would like to see a conversation like this....Gore may be 3rd all time in rushing but he is 43rd all time in rushing yards per game.

I understand something needs to be said about a player who plays a long time but a lot of guys retired because while they could have kept playing they retired because they could not play at the same level.

Btw TD is 3rd all time in rushing yards per game.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
          The HoF should be reserved for those that become and remained consistently elite at their positions (this allows for players who took a couple seasons to find their mojo).

The problem with any hall of fame (whether it be the NFL, MLB, Rock and Roll, whatever) is it's first 2 or 3 of decades are easy as there is an undisputed list of elite players to choose from. Once you get all the truly great inducted, what next? How does the HoF stay relevant to the modern fan who was born after these original elite's played? HoF's start dropping the bar and the definition of elite slips. Add in media market bias and you have a complete farce (the Jerome Bettis argument...where it's better to have a cool nickname and a long career than truly being elite). Shoot, look at Atwater...IMO he was one of the 2 hardest hitting safeties of his time...(and he had the best nickname ) yet Ronnie Lott was a 1st time ballot inductee and we're still waiting for The Smiling Assassin??? Meanwhile other safeties have been inducted since Atwater became eligible and there's no way you can convince me they had better careers or played the position better than our #27.

In conclusion, I'd have to say as the years go by I get more and more disenchanted in the HoF and I doubt that will change
          I agree it will not change.

IMO they need to take the media out of the voting and put players/coaches into the voting. Even this will be flawed in some way as all human actions have the human factor and unless one works in the military or aviation there is no training on how to minimize the human factor.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
          X