Playoff change ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff change ?

Dont know if any of you listen to outkick the coverage with Clay Travis or not . He brought up some ideas about the playoffs . His opinion is that it's wrong for the divisional winners to get a home game automatically. For instance , Seahawks who has a better record has to travel to the Eagles . He thinks the top 4 teams record wise should get a home playoff game and the 5th & 6th should travel.

He also talked about doing away with divisions . Keeping the AFC & NFC and you play half of your conference and half of the other conference. Then the following year you play the other half . I kind of like having the division rivals , but do you guys get tired of watching us play AFCW 2 times every year?

There was a thread on this a few weeks back with essentially the same idea. This will probably be a hot topic in the offseason for all the committees.

I would hate to do away with division rivals even though doing away with them would likely create even more parity. I do think the better record should get homefield in the playoffs but it makes winning the division meaningless. I don’t think the current setup is perfect by any means but I have a hard time imagining a system that I would personally prefer over the current system. Maybe give compensatory picks to division winners that have to play road games, but that seems unfair.

Comment

I like the divisional rivalry as well. I do kind of think that the better team should travel .....but if it was the Broncos winning the division and we hosted the wildcard game I wouldn't care lol. It's almost like if it ain't broke dont fix it .

Comment

I read somewhere that said each year since 1990 at least 4 teams made the playoffs that hadn't the previous season. I can't imagine changing things up while the current draft positioning, compensatory picks and strength of scheduling seem to be keeping a great rotation of teams in the playoffs hunt.

Comment

The idea of reseeding is not new.

It’s also unnecessary.

If the SeaChicks wanted a home game, they should have won their division.

I don’t mind eliminating the divisions.

Play 15 games against the conference and 1 against the other. If they go to 18 games, it can be 3 against the other conference.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

It will never fly. Listen, when the League reorganized the divisions in 2002, they had a chance to make it completely geographically accurate but owners prioritized preserving classic, long-standing divisional rivalries -namely Cowboys & Giants and Bills & Dolphins so do you see team owners voting to do away with divisions now? My money is on "NO WAY".

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
              Dont know if any of you listen to outkick the coverage with Clay Travis or not . He brought up some ideas about the playoffs . His opinion is that it's wrong for the divisional winners to get a home game automatically. For instance , Seahawks who has a better record has to travel to the Eagles . He thinks the top 4 teams record wise should get a home playoff game and the 5th & 6th should travel.

He also talked about doing away with divisions . Keeping the AFC & NFC and you play half of your conference and half of the other conference. Then the following year you play the other half . I kind of like having the division rivals , but do you guys get tired of watching us play AFCW 2 times every year?
              I have and have had the same opinion about that for years.

To me the best records should be rewarded the home games while winning your division would ONLY guarantee a playoff spot. Of course if teams have identical records then strength of schedule would decide who gets to home game.

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                It will never fly. Listen, when the League reorganized the divisions in 2002, they had a chance to make it completely geographically accurate but owners prioritized preserving classic, long-standing divisional rivalries -namely Cowboys & Giants and Bills & Dolphins so do you see team owners voting to do away with divisions now? My money is on "NO WAY".
                Okay now that explains why some teams are way out of their actual geographical location(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                  Okay now that explains why some teams are way out of their actual geographical location(s).
                  It should have been Dallas in the South, Carolina in the East, Miami in the South, Indy in the North and Baltimore in the East but for the aforementioned rivalries.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
                    It should have been Dallas in the South, Carolina in the East, Miami in the South, Indy in the North and Baltimore in the East but for the aforementioned rivalries.
                    Yeah maybe it's just me getting/being old(er) but those NFC East rivalries & AFC East rivalries haven't been what they once were since the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                      I have and have had the same opinion about that for years.

To me the best records should be rewarded the home games while winning your division would ONLY guarantee a playoff spot. Of course if teams have identical records then strength of schedule would decide who gets to home game.
                      What if a team goes 9-7 and wins their division and another team goes 11-5 and loses their division but has a drastically weaker strength of schedule than the 9-7 team?

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                        What if a team goes 9-7 and wins their division and another team goes 11-5 and loses their division but has a drastically weaker strength of schedule than the 9-7 team?
                        Yeah I'm sure all those possible 'what if' scenarios are what will probably keep things as is.

Comment

Working...
                        X