Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't help but be skeptical about this

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can't help but be skeptical about this

    The officiating was awful last night, and definitely hurt the 49ers

    This could be considered Karma because of the second worst officiated game in NFL history that gave SF it's fifth title (the 1994 NFC title game)

    However, given this and how awful the officiating was in the AFC title game last year (the ridiculous PI calls against the Patriots, the no-call on the pick play, the muggings of Gronk and Edelman), it's hard to think that Mahomes is not the NFL's Golden Boy.

  • #2
    Mahomes is absolutely the Golden Boy at this point, and and his team will get the benefit of the doubt (as Brady and Manning's teams did) but the officiating has been bad for several years. There were some bad missed calls last night (Chefs o-lineman tackling a 49ers d-lineman in the end zone for what should have been a safety that turned into a completion to Hill and a first down), but officiating wasn't the reason San Francisco lost last night. Even with the officiating they had the game there for the taking and they gave it away.

    Credit to the Chefs for going and winning it, but part of the reason they were able to do that was because of the 49ers losing it.

    Comment


    • #3
      I thought there were a few calls that were questionable, which is par for the course, but I loved that the refs stayed mostly out of this game. Let 'em play. Not sure if KC got a lot of help though....for example, Kittle pushing off (which he did) or the end zone infraction on Kelce (which was definitely PI), or Williams' TD (which was so close that the refs stuck with the original call, but could have been reversed I guess). Maybe a couple of others that were suspect. Heck, the refs did miss the delay of game on SF, on the 4th down eventual sack.

      But yeah, KC won the game by making 3 TDs in the last part of the game....the SB, when all the money's on the table. SF, through some of Shanahan's poor decision-making, and some lack of execution, did not deserve the win.
      Last edited by CanDB; 02-03-2020, 06:52 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        Mahomes is absolutely the Golden Boy at this point, and and his team will get the benefit of the doubt (as Brady and Manning's teams did) but the officiating has been bad for several years. There were some bad missed calls last night (Chefs o-lineman tackling a 49ers d-lineman in the end zone for what should have been a safety that turned into a completion to Hill and a first down), but officiating wasn't the reason San Francisco lost last night. Even with the officiating they had the game there for the taking and they gave it away.

        Credit to the Chefs for going and winning it, but part of the reason they were able to do that was because of the 49ers losing it.

        Brady didn't get the calls during his career. He had many calls go against him in playoff games.

        Manning had several questionable calls go against him in the loss to Baltimore, but he also got plenty of calls.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dolphinsneu View Post
          Brady didn't get the calls during his career. He had many calls go against him in playoff games.

          Manning had several questionable calls go against him in the loss to Baltimore, but he also got plenty of calls.
          Bad officiating in the 2012 playoff game against Baltimore affected the outcome of that contest.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            Bad officiating in the 2012 playoff game against Baltimore affected the outcome of that contest.
            That's what I said.

            It was that it was a double standard. If you are going to call that PI on Bailey in overtime, you should also have called that pass interference on the pick six.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dolphinsneu View Post
              That's what I said.

              It was that it was a double standard. If you are going to call that PI on Bailey in overtime, you should also have called that pass interference on the pick six.
              PI was called on Tony Carter prior to the uncalled PI on Decker that resulted in the 1st quarter pick six. Vinovich had it in for PM. The call on Carter was idiotic. He had inside postion/leverage down the sideline and turned to look for the ball. I think it was on Denver's next possession that Decker was grabbed by the arm causing Manning's pass to be deflected. That sequence of events led to OT which never should have happened. Double standard is an understatement.
              Last edited by samparnell; 02-04-2020, 03:13 AM.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dolphinsneu View Post
                The officiating was awful last night, and definitely hurt the 49ers

                This could be considered Karma because of the second worst officiated game in NFL history that gave SF it's fifth title (the 1994 NFC title game)

                However, given this and how awful the officiating was in the AFC title game last year (the ridiculous PI calls against the Patriots, the no-call on the pick play, the muggings of Gronk and Edelman), it's hard to think that Mahomes is not the NFL's Golden Boy.
                Actually, and I can't fault you for this but...........I'd rather see less calls during the season myself. Obviously this crew made a conscious effort to STAY OUT OF THE GAME and let the teams decide it. Relative to the regular season, it was clearly a different approach.

                I saw lot's of holding by KC OL that was ignored. I haven't rewatched the game but I'd likely be able to dial into more 'intentionally missed calls'

                With the big push to safety in the NFL lately I doubt we'll see this kind of officiating in the regular season, but it sure would be nice.
                Red 98

                Kareem rises to the top

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dolphinsneu View Post
                  Brady didn't get the calls during his career. He had many calls go against him in playoff games.

                  Manning had several questionable calls go against him in the loss to Baltimore, but he also got plenty of calls.
                  Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Bad officiating in the 2012 playoff game against Baltimore affected the outcome of that contest.
                  The Patriots have a long history of getting favourable officiating in Foxboro. Going to 2012, remember Brady kicking up at a Ravens defender (I think it was Ed Reed) and no flag being thrown.

                  Manning got lots of favourable calls as well, remember the 2015 game against Pittsburgh where Manning self sacked, and the officials let him get up and then run?

                  These are just two examples, but the star QBs (and their teams) always get the benefit of calls. Roughing the passer gets called a little closer for them, and their o-line gets away with a little more. Most QBs don't get those calls going their way, but the stars do, they have for a long time, this is nothing new.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X