Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redskins Appear to Be Considering Namechange

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    To me it's all about communicating with the Indigenous and other related communities (who are tied to any of these names) and basically get an idea if they are offended, or do not care for the use of the nickname. If the % of those polled is relatively negative, change the name. If it is a minor thing and is not a problem to those communities, and may in fact have a positive note to them, as in strength, courage, stoic or whatever, then leave as they are.

    I don't have a definition of what is "relatively negative", but it will be pretty clear if you ask the various communities if it is offensive to more than just a few.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      To me it's all about communicating with the Indigenous and other related communities (who are tied to any of these names) and basically get an idea if they are offended, or do not care for the use of the nickname. If the % of those polled is relatively negative, change the name. If it is a minor thing and is not a problem to those communities, and may in fact have a positive note to them, as in strength, courage, stoic or whatever, then leave as they are.

      I don't have a definition of what is "relatively negative", but it will be pretty clear if you ask the various communities if it is offensive to more than just a few.
      As with (what seems like) a majority of these situations, white people are significantly more offended on behalf of the "affected" community. Savior complex, or something. They've done polls in the past of local tribe leaders and overwhelmingly, they don't care. The polls are one of the things that Snyder has hung his hat on over the last decade in the fight to keep the name.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
        As with (what seems like) a majority of these situations, white people are significantly more offended on behalf of the "affected" community. Savior complex, or something. They've done polls in the past of local tribe leaders and overwhelmingly, they don't care. The polls are one of the things that Snyder has hung his hat on over the last decade in the fight to keep the name.
        It's good that they have conducted such polls. Not sure what the threshold would be, in that too many are still offended (or conversely, a very small minority), but it's always smart to ask those who may be offended, IF they are offended. Again, that's the rule I try to follow...do not assume you know what is offensive to others, unless you are in their shoes.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
          As with (what seems like) a majority of these situations, white people are significantly more offended on behalf of the "affected" community. Savior complex, or something. They've done polls in the past of local tribe leaders and overwhelmingly, they don't care. The polls are one of the things that Snyder has hung his hat on over the last decade in the fight to keep the name.
          Polls are really easy to rig. Using a racist phrase as a team name is inappropriate

          https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/09/native-american-groups-redskins-name-change-indians-braves-blackhawks/%3foutputType=amp
          Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 07-09-2020, 01:58 PM.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            My opinion is that the name is offensive to some, and it probably should be changed, because it was used as a slur at one point in time.

            BUT at the same time I also think that it's completely wrong that Nike stopped selling the team merchandise on their website and I think the NFL should have immediately threatened them with a lawsuit for breach of contract. Nike has a contract to make and sell gear for ALL NFL teams, if they don't want to do that then they should look to leave the contract. I'm also not sure Nike should be lecturing anyone on anything, given some of their alleged issues.
            I don't know if you know about this, but Google: "Jun Takahashi, China"


            "On Friday, three separate letters signed by 87 investment firms and shareholders worth a collective $620 billion asked Nike, FedEx and PepsiCo to terminate their business relationships with the NFL’s Washington Redskins unless the team agrees to change its controversial name," according to Adweek.
            https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...j1s0wtd6x1uo4e

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              My opinion is that the name is offensive to some, and it probably should be changed, because it was used as a slur at one point in time.

              BUT at the same time I also think that it's completely wrong that Nike stopped selling the team merchandise on their website and I think the NFL should have immediately threatened them with a lawsuit for breach of contract. Nike has a contract to make and sell gear for ALL NFL teams, if they don't want to do that then they should look to leave the contract. I'm also not sure Nike should be lecturing anyone on anything, given some of their alleged issues.
              Roger Goodell may have gone postal if the owners tried to sue Nike. There’s no way he wants any part of that bad idea. It’s only a bad idea because of the optics, but it’s a bad idea nonetheless. I think Nike did what they did because they were confident the NFL wouldn’t push back.
              You Mad Bro?

              Comment


              • #52
                In another thread I half jokingly half seriously renamed the Chiefs as the KC Wolves. This article mentions the name Redwolves (or Red Wolves) as one of the many possible name changes.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                  In another thread I half jokingly half seriously renamed the Chiefs as the KC Wolves. This article mentions the name Redwolves (or Red Wolves) as one of the many possible name changes.
                  Hmm...not sure if "Red Wolves" passes the PC test. It might offend people that have been bitten by dogs.
                  To infinity...and beyond.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                    Hmm...not sure if "Red Wolves" passes the PC test. It might offend people that have been bitten by dogs.
                    Or shapeshifters.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Or shapeshifters.
                      That's true - I didn't even think of shapeshifters.

                      I was wondering about KC "BBQ" something or other, but vegans might complain. I really don't know what is "passable," in the current era we live in, to be honest. 'Baby It's Cold Outside' is now widely regarded as a date rape song by numerous groups, and demanding its removal from airwaves.

                      So yeah...I'll just wander away from this discussion.
                      To infinity...and beyond.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                        That's true - I didn't even think of shapeshifters.

                        I was wondering about KC "BBQ" something or other, but vegans might complain. I really don't know what is "passable," in the current era we live in, to be honest. 'Baby It's Cold Outside' is now widely regarded as a date rape song by numerous groups, and demanding its removal from airwaves.

                        So yeah...I'll just wander away from this discussion.
                        You offend me with the use of wander,,,that what Alzheimer’s patients do...
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                          That's true - I didn't even think of shapeshifters.

                          I was wondering about KC "BBQ" something or other, but vegans might complain:

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            KC Briskets

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Washington has so many possibilities, including reference to the government. The Capitals and Nationals are examples of its status in the country, as used by their hockey and baseball teams. And Bureaucrats just doesn't bode well...haha. Something along the lines of Lawmakers. But it appears Warriors is high up on the list.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                                Washington has so many possibilities, including reference to the government. The Capitals and Nationals are examples of its status in the country, as used by their hockey and baseball teams. And Bureaucrats just doesn't bode well...haha. Something along the lines of Lawmakers. But it appears Warriors is high up on the list.
                                I've heard the Washington Statesmen thrown around a few times and it sounds interesting as well.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X