Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So for the moment we can call them the Washington No Names? Or is Washington now verboten too?

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
      So for the moment we can call them the Washington No Names? Or is Washington now verboten too?
      That's a really good question. Seriously.
      To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

In honour of his name in the ring of fame...

sigpic

Comment

My opinion is that the name ‘Redskins’ simply had to be changed. Can anyone tell me though, as a Scottish Broncos fan who hasn’t grown up in a country with team names of that ilk, surely the Cleveland Indians (especially their logo) are now on borrowed time. Is there any problem with, for example, Chicago Blackhawks? Kansas City Chiefs? As an outsider looking in, I’m guessing the Blackhawks and Chiefs will be fine?
          Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
            Apparently Snyder is in a trademark dispute now over his chosen name, so "No Names" it is until further notice.

Reportedly one of the favored options was "Warriors" but this is what I just read at ESPN:

Carla Fredericks, the Director of the American Indian Law Clinic and Director of First Peoples Worldwide, said she did not want to see the Redskins pivot to a name such as the Warriors. She said it would be considered a tie-in to Native Americans.

"Mostly because we have this really unfortunate history and one thing the Washington team has to think about is not just a change, but also making it right, and that [name] doesn't seem like it's headed in that direction.

Asked about the Golden State Warriors and whether their nickname was OK or somehow different because of the lack of Native American logos, Fredericks said: "We're just taking a very hard line on all of this, that anything that relates to Native American people or is evocative of Native American people has no place in professional sports. The hard line is important because of the lack of understanding about Native American people in our communities, so the clarity would go a long way toward better behavior by sports teams and fans.
            Really. So "warriors" has gone from a generic term pertaining to a class in virtually every culture on Earth to something exclusively Native American. I think this woman has a "lack of understanding."

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by L.M. View Post
              Apparently Snyder is in a trademark dispute now over his chosen name, so "No Names" it is until further notice.

Reportedly one of the favored options was "Warriors" but this is what I just read at ESPN:

Really. So "warriors" has gone from a generic term pertaining to a class in virtually every culture on Earth to something exclusively Native American. I think this woman has a "lack of understanding."
              I think my local professional rugby team could be in trouble then.

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/

Comment

As butler reported elsewhere... apparently warrior is native trademarked, lol. A Calgary team called the warriors, with a centurion logo... is under pressure to change their name now...

It never ends.... no one will ever be pleased, or less unhappy as it seems with everything, these days...
                sigpic

Comment

First definition I see...

(especially in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.

Does not sound specific to me. It's as good as most sports name as I can think of.
                  Last edited by CanDB; 07-13-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Oh dear, another British professional sports team on shaky ground... England’s rugby league team, Wigan Warriors.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/

‘Warriors’ is simply NOT a name that needs changed. The bloody world has gone mad.

Comment

• Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
                      My opinion is that the name ‘Redskins’ simply had to be changed. Can anyone tell me though, as a Scottish Broncos fan who hasn’t grown up in a country with team names of that ilk, surely the Cleveland Indians (especially their logo) are now on borrowed time. Is there any problem with, for example, Chicago Blackhawks? Kansas City Chiefs? As an outsider looking in, I’m guessing the Blackhawks and Chiefs will be fine?
                      They are, and they've been under attack from Native groups for awhile because their mascot is an overtly racist caricature. Cartoonists have mocked it for years:

Except for Native Americans, ethnic groups are not used as mascots -and shouldn't be- no exceptions!

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Why isn’t the team in American sports with the most offensive name by far being put in the crosshairs? Just hearing their name makes my skin crawl.... New. England. Patriots.

Comment

• Raiders and Buccaneers should be canceled next - pirates profited from slave trade.

Let's see. Cowboys. Obvious.

Eagles. Cause it's apparently a thing now.

49ers.

Vikings should get consideration as well.

This game should get fun real quick.

What say we just spin a dial and change a team's name each week. Good times.

Comment

I don't know that we'll see many changes, I don't even think personally that the Cleveland Indians will have to change. They changed the logo awhile back, it's no longer the offensive logo, that logo and mascott were retired.

That's their current logo. The Blackhawks should be fine, they actually have gone to great strides to respect native American history. They take part in cultural education and have virtually no fans dressing in native American stereotypes. Blackhawks is not on the same level as the redskins, it isn't derogatory. The Redskins is essentially the Indian equivalent of the N-word. How it has been considered ok this whole time is totally beyond me.

Good read on the Blackhawks

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...2y4-story.html

The Blackhawks, who are named after Sac and Fox Nation warrior Black Hawk, issued a statement late Tuesday addressing their stance on changing the name.

“The Chicago Blackhawks name and logo symbolizes an important and historic person, Black Hawk of Illinois’ Sac & Fox Nation, whose leadership and life has inspired generations of Native Americans, veterans and the public,” the statement read. “We celebrate Black Hawk’s legacy by offering ongoing reverent examples of Native American culture, traditions and contributions, providing a platform for genuine dialogue with local and national Native American groups. As the team’s popularity grew over the past decade, so did that platform and our work with these important organizations.
                            The Chiefs...That one...That could be next, not because the name itself is bad, but because of the history of how they became the chiefs.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/01/us/ka...rnd/index.html

The Chiefs could go a long way towards avoiding the same outcry by taking some lessons from the Blackhawks and start removing things like the Tomahawk Chop and doing the same sort of education programs for fans to try and limit the number of fans dressing in offensive stereotypes during the games.

It's not a wide brush "all indian related names need to go" there is nuance in each situation. The main offender is the Redskins which is blatantly not acceptable because of the fact that it is a derogatory term, most of the rest, they really aren't as big of a deal.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                              Raiders and Buccaneers should be canceled next - pirates profited from slave trade.

Let's see. Cowboys. Obvious.

Eagles. Cause it's apparently a thing now.

49ers.

Vikings should get consideration as well.

This game should get fun real quick.

What say we just spin a dial and change a team's name each week. Good times.
                              This kind of comment is in no way helpful Rastic. See my post above about the other Indian related names. As for Raiders and buccaneers were, those are professions, not races, did they commit atrocities, some did, but there are no buccaneers or pirates alive today being oppressed by the use of these kinds of name, it's not a put down to a group of individuals alive and dealing with racism today, same with cowboys.

Why the heck would Eagles be a problem? I see no logical reason

Vikings were centuries ago and are not currently terrorizing people...again, no one alive and living today is impacted by this.

There is no game. This slippery slope argument...it's not beneficial to anyone and it simply is a quick out from having an earnest discussion about things that we should as a people be discussing. Each situation has nuance, each situation is different. Not a single one of those teams needs a name change. The Redskins, ABSOLUTELY do.
                              Last edited by Freyaka; 07-13-2020, 01:58 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

The Indians did away with the Wahoo Logo after the 2018 season. They started phasing it out a long time ago, though. They're thinking about changing the name of the team right now.

Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
                                I think my local professional rugby team could be in trouble then.

https://www.glasgowwarriors.org/
                                I was going to suggest "Kansas City Red Celebration of Indigenous Migrants from Beringia's Warrior Culture Mahomies" when the conversation was about the Chiefs earlier. I guess the warrior theme, so long as it's applied to specific ethnicities, is a no go. I can actually understand it from that angle. If they ask me though, I'm calling them the KC Woodpeckers.

Comment

Working...
                                X