Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The rest of the NFL games discussion thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the NFL fine players for helmet to helmet hits on the same team? I don’t think I’ve seen it ever reported but if the goal is player safety should it not extend to all hits like this?

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
      Does the NFL fine players for helmet to helmet hits on the same team? I don’t think I’ve seen it ever reported but if the goal is player safety should it not extend to all hits like this?
      I am not sure which hit you are referring to, but in fairness to The NFL, I do not see how 2 players on the same team could be disciplined for hitting one another unless there was potential intent. Now, if they hate each other, sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I am not sure which hit you are referring to, but in fairness to The NFL, I do not see how 2 players on the same team could be disciplined for hitting one another unless there was potential intent. Now, if they hate each other, sure!
        The Kareem Jackson hit on Bouye is what got me thinking about it. If the intent of the rule is to stop players from leading with the crown of their helmet in order to promote player safety, why would it not apply every time it happens and not just when it’s done to the opposite team and not just to defensive players 98% of the time?

Not that I want Kareem Jackson to get fined, just a thought I had after that hit. I’m not for selective enforcement and that’s what it appears this rule has fallen under which contradicts the nature of the rule IMO.

Comment

The Kareem Jackson hit on Bouye is what got me thinking about it. If the intent of the rule is to stop players from leading with the crown of their helmet in order to promote player safety, why would it not apply every time it happens and not just when it’s done to the opposite team and not just to defensive players 98% of the time?

Not that I want Kareem Jackson to get fined, just a thought I had after that hit. I’m not for selective enforcement and that’s what it appears this rule has fallen under which contradicts the nature of the rule IMO.
          OK....your logic is reasonable pal. It may not happen very often, but I see where you are going.

Comment

I think you would have to be able to determine if the defender would have hit the ball carrier helmet to helmet, if the defender had actually hit his target.

I don’t think it would be right to fine the player for accidentally hitting his own teammate, without determining that he would have made an illegal hit on the opponent.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• In my opinion it would be more of a "friendly fire" scenario than one with any intent, given the odds of hitting a teammate with the same trajectory as the opponent are pretty low. They would have to be almost exactly lined up.

Comment

• So gang....do The Jets win one game this year???

Looking at their schedule, it's possible they won't.

I think their best week will be their bye week.
                Last edited by CanDB; 11-05-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

I think you would have to be able to determine if the defender would have hit the ball carrier helmet to helmet, if the defender had actually hit his target.

I don’t think it would be right to fine the player for accidentally hitting his own teammate, without determining that he would have made an illegal hit on the opponent.
                  But the intent of the rule is to stop players from dropping their helmet to tackle people not the intent of the hit itself. And if that is indeed what the NFL is trying to eliminate it shouldn’t matter who you hit.

Comment

So gang....do The Jets win one game this year???

Looking at their schedule, it's possible they won't.

I think their best week will be their bye week.
                    I think Darnold can pull out enough magic to win 1 game

Comment

I think Darnold can pull out enough magic to win 1 game

That might be ironic, because if he has some of that "magic", and wins a game or even two, does he get replaced with the #1 pick?

I did think he was going to be a good NFL QB, and I do hope he can turn it around.

Comment

• I am still a Packers fan to some degree. And I was ticked at their FO for not finding a player or two to help out on O. It just might be that they know Rodgers better than anyone, and knew he'd use the chip on his shoulder to have an excellent season......BUT, I don't really buy any of that. You help the team by adding the right players. Regardless, how special is the Rodgers/Adams/Jones connection, along with some help from the Oline of course?

Sure, SF is hurting. But the thing that amazes me is how Adams keeps on doing his thing this year, no matter the situation at hand. Our Ds not respecting him yet as an elite WR?? With Lazard returning soon, I can only imagine Adams doing as well or better.

Comment

I am still a Packers fan to some degree. And I was ticked at their FO for not finding a player or two to help out on O. It just might be that they know Rodgers better than anyone, and knew he'd use the chip on his shoulder to have an excellent season......BUT, I don't really buy any of that. You help the team by adding the right players. Regardless, how special is the Rodgers/Adams/Jones connection, along with some help from the Oline of course?

Sure, SF is hurting. But the thing that amazes me is how Adams keeps on doing his thing this year, no matter the situation at hand. Our Ds not respecting him yet as an elite WR?? With Lazard returning soon, I can only imagine Adams doing as well or better.
                          I've been a Packers fan since 92, so I understand the frustration people get seeing the team not get more weapons for Rodgers. But other than the Tampa game, the team hasn't looked like they needed anything on the offensive side of the ball. Even last night after not getting any trades done. Rodgers threw for over 300yrds and had 5 TDs.
                          Packers biggest weakness isn't even their lack of weapons for Rodgers, it's that they still can't defend the run. Which has been an issue for them during Rodgers career as a starter. Green Bay has never been a franchise that goes out and trades for big name wide outs or trades for big name receivers.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

I've been a Packers fan since 92, so I understand the frustration people get seeing the team not get more weapons for Rodgers. But other than the Tampa game, the team hasn't looked like they needed anything on the offensive side of the ball. Even last night after not getting any trades done. Rodgers threw for over 300yrds and had 5 TDs.
                            Packers biggest weakness isn't even their lack of weapons for Rodgers, it's that they still can't defend the run. Which has been an issue for them during Rodgers career as a starter. Green Bay has never been a franchise that goes out and trades for big name wide outs or trades for big name receivers.
                            I understand. It's a good argument. But in respect of Rodgers, why not throw him a bone? He can be like a Mahomes, who can just flat out, outscore you. Give him one piece, Sure, get your future QB in the draft, and tighten up your backfield, but where's the WR? Same goes with the trade deadline....maybe add a piece, even if it's not Fuller. I really think that outside of Adams, the rest of his WRs are still relative unknowns. They are getting better known, but not big names. It's not because we are not appreciative, but you get a name when you put up numbers. Lazard might be a quality WR, but he needs to provide a little more evidence.

The other point I was making is that, Adams is either that good, or Ds are not that smart, because he's the guy when it comes to GB receivers. Let me restate....he is that good, so Ds have to find ways to manage his talent. Rodgers could target him all night, and not meet with a lot of resistance.
                            Last edited by CanDB; 11-06-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Is anyone watching the [email protected] game?

Comment

I understand. It's a good argument. But in respect of Rodgers, why not throw him a bone? He can be like a Mahomes, who can just flat out, outscore you. Give him one piece, Sure, get your future QB in the draft, and tighten up your backfield, but where's the WR? Same goes with the trade deadline....maybe add a piece, even if it's not Fuller. I really think that outside of Adams, the rest of his WRs are still relative unknowns. They are getting better known, but not big names. It's not because we are not appreciative, but you get a name when you put up numbers. Lazard might be a quality WR, but he needs to provide a little more evidence.

The other point I was making is that, Adams is either that good, or Ds are not that smart, because he's the guy when it comes to GB receivers. Let me restate....he is that good, so Ds have to find ways to manage his talent. Rodgers could target him all night, and not meet with a lot of resistance.
                                I hear you, but you know as much as I do that Green Bay has never signed or traded for big name wide outs. They'd rather try to find a mid tier free agent or practice squad player with potential. Should they have drafted someone in the mid rounds this past draft? Yes. But I'd also say Packers have a lot of young wide outs that might turn into something worth keeping. Depending on their development, Green Bay could end up having one of the best WR corps.
                                We already know about Adams. He's top 5 in the league. Valdes-Scantling has shown signs he could develop into a good weapon. It's only his 3rd season and he has the build of a solid target.
                                St.Brown...he's often injured but we might have seen all would good see in him. He doesn't look to be filled with potential like Valdes-Scantling.
                                Lazard has looked good, but again injured. Funchess could be a solid deep threat if he could stay healthy, which he seemingly is never healthy. He would've been better at playing his natural positon as TE, which is what he played for a while at Michigan. Would give us a Jimmy Graham big body at TE.
                                Malik is a rookie and really don't see the ball enough to say we have something there. He could be a good slot wide out for all we know.

So I think we have potential at wide out and don't need to sell picks to trade for a big name. Signing a free agent wouldn't be a bad move, but there probably isn't anyone worth signing that would be a better option than just giving Malik more play time. Maybe we should have got in on Antonio Brown, but that might be an issue if he wants to be the number 1, when Adams is.
                                sigpic
                                Adopted Broncos:
                                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                                X