Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The rest of the NFL games discussion thread....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's like when Seattle won the West as a 7-9 team, hosted a playoff. It's part of why most sports are considering division-less postseasons. So avoid bad teams being playoff teams, while teams that finish with good records don't get a shot bc they in a stacked division.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

    Comment


    • I think the most interesting thing about Dallas is how much losing Dak hurt Zeke. He was looking like he would have another solid season, then Dak got hurt, and now Zeke is just meh.
      Goes to show just how big a deal a solid QB is. Makes you look at the other good backs in the league and notice they all have solid QBs.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

      Comment


      • Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

        Just because he doesn’t make the flashy deep plays. The media has brainwashed people into believing game managers don’t win championships even though I think there’s a very convincing argument that Montana and Brady were just that.
        I agree with you on virtually everything you say, so don't take this the wrong way. And I've got nothing against Smith as a person. It's amazing to me that he's even playing football right now. Nothing but respect for his perseverance.

        While I do agree that a game manager can win a SB. Absolutely, they can. I see Brady and Montana as totally different quarterbacks than Smith. If you look at his career yards per completion, it's 11 flat. Look at all of the other quarterbacks in that range. The only one you'd say is a real deal, no questions asked HoFer, is Drew Brees at 11.2. The difference is, Brees' career TD to INT ratio is 5.4 to 2.3 percentage wise. I mean, you can say Brady and Montana had an ability to manage the game, but I wouldn't call them game managers. Not for the entirety of their careers. Brady and Montana averaged more yards per completion than Jay Cutler, Brett Favre, and Ryan Fitzpatrick, and those guys are considered slingers. All while producing 5.8 and 2.1 TD-INT%(Brady) and 5.1 to 2.6 TD-INT%(Montana). So...I get why people root for Alex Smith. He's the boy next door. He's nice. He's smart. He's persevered through some incredible hardship, and it's easy to get behind that. I'm just saying that, for example, going into tonight's game he had the lowest intended air yards average in the league by a mile. I watched the game tonight. It didn't improve. I'm not saying he sucks either. I'd rather have Alex Smith in his prime than Joe Flacco in his prime unless it's the playoffs. I honestly think I'd rather have Smith in his prime than Carr, Foles, and probably Wentz since he's fallen off a cliff as well. I don't really have anything against the guy. I just don't see him as the underappreciated, would be, legend that I think some people think he is. Not saying you feel that way, but I feel like he's about as appreciated as a quarterback as he should be. As a person, top notch. No arguments whatsoever.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

          Just because he doesn’t make the flashy deep plays. The media has brainwashed people into believing game managers don’t win championships even though I think there’s a very convincing argument that Montana and Brady were just that.
          The difference being that Montana and Brady were/are executive level managers while Alex Smith is middle management and might get you a championship on a team with a historically great defense.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

          Comment


          • Broncos fans of all people should know that you can win a Super Bowl with even less than a game manager. You can win the Super Bowl with the worst QB that since for as long as the defense is lightouts and your run game is ridiculous.
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

            Comment


            • Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
              Broncos fans of all people should know that you can win a Super Bowl with even less than a game manager. You can win the Super Bowl with the worst QB that since for as long as the defense is lightouts and your run game is ridiculous.
              Hey Blaze...hope I did not offend you with my post about The Lions' overall play since the 50s, but I am sure you knew all of it anyway. But can I ask...what's the reason?Without digging in, I suspect it's Ownership/Upper Management. Not a brilliant comment on my part, but is that it, or is there more to the story?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                Hey Blaze...hope I did not offend you with my post about The Lions' overall play since the 50s, but I am sure you knew all of it anyway. But can I ask...what's the reason?Without digging in, I suspect it's Ownership/Upper Management. Not a brilliant comment on my part, but is that it, or is there more to the story?
                Not gonna offend me with Lions talk, I hate that team. Grew up a Packers fan, not Lions. As for why their franchise has struggled, a lot of it is on ownership. The Ford family owns the team, and they honestly don't care about the team. As long as people are buying Lions merch, tickets, watching games, the Ford family is ok with being bad. They like money, so if there is money being made, they are happy.

                It's the opposite for say the Illitch Family. Mike Illitch(RIP) wasn't just a rich dude that owned a sports team. He was a Detroit native that cared about Detroit and Detroit Sports. He made his money by starting a business called Little Caesars. And from there he started opening up businesses downtown and buying other business. The Illitch family owns a good chunk of Downtown Detroit, almost everything has their name on it.
                Mike bought the Red Wings in 1982 and Tigers in 1992. And he wanted success, noticeably the Red Wings was the team to reign with success, being the NHL team that basically became America's team in the 90s. Most Stanley Cup wins by a US team. Only the Canadian teams have more. Most hall of famers in the hall.
                You know Can, Wings history is well known among hockey fans.
                Tigers didn't get as much success, but they did get close a few times and for a few years were a consistent playoff team that experts loved picking as series favorites.

                Part of all of that was Mike Illitch caring about the teams. So much so he would offer to put his own money in to help sign players. Which isn't allowed, but he really wanted to do it when we lured Johnny Damon to Detroit.

                Fact of the matter is, even though Detroit is a major US city. It's a small market city. So sport teams need more to draw players to the city. Which there isn't. Its not like LA or Miami beach or New York. Illitch and the Red Wings used history to draw free agents. Who wouldn't wanna sign for the Red Wings? Most players grew up Wings fans. The coach was Scotty Bowman and then Mike Babcock. Who wouldn't wanna play for a legendary coach and a great coach?

                You don't have that pull for the Lions. Lions never had a legendary coach or a great coach...hell they haven't had a good one. From ownership to the front office, the Lions always looked a mess, and when you're a free agent and you see that, an unstable franchise that also happens to play in a division with perennial contenders(Packers), often fringe contenders(Vikings), a team with history(Bears), free agents would rather go to those teams or an easier division.

                Simply put, the Lions are the Browns of the NFC. And just like how recently the Browns have had minor success, in their history the Lions have been able to not look terrible...but like the modern Browns, those not terrible Lions teams couldn't go far.
                Last edited by InsaneBlaze23; 11-27-2020, 12:04 PM.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

                Comment


                • Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

                  Not gonna offend me with Lions talk, I hate that team. Grew up a Packers fan, not Lions. As for why their franchise has struggled, a lot of it is on ownership. The Ford family owns the team, and they honestly don't care about the team. As long as people are buying Lions merch, tickets, watching games, the Ford family is ok with being bad. They like money, so if there is money being made, they are happy.

                  It's the opposite for say the Illitch Family. Mike Illitch(RIP) wasn't just a rich dude that owned a sports team. He was a Detroit native that cared about Detroit and Detroit Sports. He made his money by starting a business called Little Caesars. And from there he started opening up businesses downtown and buying other business. The Illitch family owns a good chunk of Downtown Detroit, almost everything has their name on it.
                  Mike bought the Red Wings in 1982 and Tigers in 1992. And he wanted success, noticeably the Red Wings was the team to reign with success, being the NHL team that basically became America's team in the 90s. Most Stanley Cup wins by a US team. Only the Canadian teams have more. Most hall of famers in the hall.
                  You know Can, Wings history is well known among hockey fans.
                  Tigers didn't get as much success, but they did get close a few times and for a few years were a consistent playoff team that experts loved picking as series favorites.

                  Part of all of that was Mike Illitch caring about the teams. So much so he would offer to put his own money in to help sign players. Which isn't allowed, but he really wanted to do it when we lured Johnny Damon to Detroit.

                  Fact of the matter is, even though Detroit is a major US city. It's a small market city. So sport teams need more to draw players to the city. Which there isn't. Its like LA or Miami beach or New York. Illitch and the Red Wings used history to draw free agents. Who wouldn't wanna sign for the Red Wings? Most players grew up Wings fans. The coach was Scotty Bowman and then Mike Babcock. Who wouldn't wanna play for a legendary coach and a great coach?

                  You don't have that pull for the Lions. Lions never had a legendary coach or a great coach...hell they haven't had a good one. From ownership to the front office, the Lions always looked a mess, and when you're a free agent and you see that, an unstable franchise that also happens to play in a division with perennial contenders(Packers), often fringe contenders(Vikings), a team with history(Bears), free agents would rather go to those teams or an easier division.

                  Simply put, the Lions are the Browns of the NFC. And just like how recently the Browns have had minor success, in their history the Lions have been able to not look terrible...but like the modern Browns, those not terrible Lions teams couldn't go far.
                  Thanks for that!!

                  I have some knowledge of what you speak, but it is good to hear someone who knows the details. Appreciate it. And yes, The Red Wings have a very rich history. One of the best. The Tigers were a good team as well. As a kid there was Al Kaline, Norm Cash and some great pitchers - McLain and Lolich. Many many more quality players.

                  But it's hard to accept seeing an NFL team in such a long term mess. As you say, them and Cleveland. Not fair to their fans, but what can you do.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                    Thanks for that!!

                    I have some knowledge of what you speak, but it is good to hear someone who knows the details. Appreciate it. And yes, The Red Wings have a very rich history. One of the best. The Tigers were a good team as well. As a kid there was Al Kaline, Norm Cash and some great pitchers - McLain and Lolich. Many many more quality players.

                    But it's hard to accept seeing an NFL team in such a long term mess. As you say, them and Cleveland. Not fair to their fans, but what can you do.
                    A good showing of the Lions management is the comparison between their current coach and the coach they fired for him. Jim Caldwell led the Lions to 2 playoff appearances. Caldwell led the Lions to their first win in Green Bay since 1991. As a Pack fan who grew up in Detroit around a Lions fan family, beating the Packers is like winning the Super Bowl to a Lions fan. So that was massive. Caldwell first season had the Lions as 11-5, second season 7-9, third season 9-7, his fourth and final season they went 9-7 again. Mind you Lions are a team where the GM makes all the player signings and draft choices, so their lack of talent wasn't Jim's decision making. He coached what they gave him.
                    With all of that Jim was the first Lions coach to end his career with them, with a winning record since Joe Schmidt(minimal 1 season), Joe was lions coach from 67 to 72. Caldwell's .563 winning percentage was the best for a Lions' head coach since Buddy Parker in the 50s.

                    They fired Jim for Matt Patricia, whom after 3 seasons is 13-29-1(.314), last place in NFC North each season.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Broncos:
                    EmmanuelSanders

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

                      A good showing of the Lions management is the comparison between their current coach and the coach they fired for him. Jim Caldwell led the Lions to 2 playoff appearances. Caldwell led the Lions to their first win in Green Bay since 1991. As a Pack fan who grew up in Detroit around a Lions fan family, beating the Packers is like winning the Super Bowl to a Lions fan. So that was massive. Caldwell first season had the Lions as 11-5, second season 7-9, third season 9-7, his fourth and final season they went 9-7 again. Mind you Lions are a team where the GM makes all the player signings and draft choices, so their lack of talent wasn't Jim's decision making. He coached what they gave him.
                      With all of that Jim was the first Lions coach to end his career with them, with a winning record since Joe Schmidt(minimal 1 season), Joe was lions coach from 67 to 72. Caldwell's .563 winning percentage was the best for a Lions' head coach since Buddy Parker in the 50s.

                      They fired Jim for Matt Patricia, whom after 3 seasons is 13-29-1(.314), last place in NFC North each season.
                      Just one example of the mess, Matt Millen was the 2nd highest paid GM when he was with The Lions, and he had a seven year record of 31 and 81....with at least 9 losses each year!! What bothers me is how groups can screw up high draft picks year after year. What a waste!!

                      Comment


                      • I heard a report today that Joe Burrow may even miss next season as a result of the brutal injury he suffered. Way to protect the face of your organization, as the poor young man has been hit repeatedly in his rookie season.

                        Comment


                        • Another rumour out there, but with the rise in covid cases, don't be surprised to see teams isolate themselves in hotel bubbles shortly.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            I heard a report today that Joe Burrow may even miss next season as a result of the brutal injury he suffered. Way to protect the face of your organization, as the poor young man has been hit repeatedly in his rookie season.
                            Kind of makes me remember the Carson Palmer injury way back when. Got to feel for the kid, hoping he bounces back strong when he does get back on the field

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by CanDB View Post

                              Just one example of the mess, Matt Millen was the 2nd highest paid GM when he was with The Lions, and he had a seven year record of 31 and 81....with at least 9 losses each year!! What bothers me is how groups can screw up high draft picks year after year. What a waste!!
                              The Lions have fired Matt Patricia.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by GMTD View Post

                                The Lions have fired Matt Patricia.
                                About time and as they should have. He has been terrible. But perhaps they could have waited until after the season?

                                I’ve always liked Matthew Stafford, but even he has looked awful this year; despite his bad finger.
                                Last edited by broncoslover115; 11-28-2020, 03:25 PM.
                                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X