Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexico may host first regular season game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico may host first regular season game...

Report: Cardinals may play regular-season NFL game in Mexico vs 49ers

March 15, 2005
    NEW YORK (AP) -- The first NFL regular-season game outside the United States is expected to take place Oct. 2, when the Arizona Cardinals face San Francisco in Mexico City.

The game is expected to be a Sunday night contest televised by ESPN. It would be a home game for the Cardinals, who rarely sell out their stadium but could draw 100,000 or more in Mexico City.

``We're working on it but it's not finalized yet,'' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said at his annual pre-Super Bowl news conference that a regular-season game outside the U.S. was likely this year.

Michael Bidwill, Cardinals vice president and general counsel, declined to discuss specifics but told The Arizona Republic that playing such a game is ``very unique and appealing prospect.''

``It would be a historic and unprecedented event,'' Bidwill said.

Updated on Tuesday, Mar 15, 2005 10:17 am EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    This space for rent

The Cardinals 9 season ticket holders might be mad...

Comment

Originally posted by EddyMac87
      The Cardinals 9 season ticket holders might be mad...
      LMAO! But I don't think this would really be good for the Cardinals, who down in Mexico cares about football, and especially the Cardinals? Hmm, I don't care, as long as the Broncos arent stupid and do that, this news doesn't have any interest to me.
      sigpic

Comment

The Broncos would never do that. They sell out their games here.

On the other hand, the Cardinals dont. I see why the league wants to do this. When we played there in an America Bowl, it WAS a sell out.

I guess they figure all those people are moving north anyway, why not try to make them into Cardinal fans. joke people, joke!!

Comment

I don't think its a bad idea, football is much more popular in Mexico than one may think. Bringing in 2 teams that are struggling in attendance could be a good risk IMO. There was an exhibition game in Mexico City in the 2001 preseason w/ the Raiders & the Cowboys. That seemed to do real well.™
          Last edited by urinal_cake; 03-15-2005, 03:05 PM.
          This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake
            I don't think its a bad idea, foootball is much more popular in Mexico than one may think. Bringing in 2 teams that are struggling in attendance could be a good risk IMO. There was an exhibition game in Mexico City in the 2001 preseason w/ the Raiders & the Cowboys. That seemed to do real well.™
            Oh, i didnt know that Mexico enjoyed futbol norteamericano(american football) so much. But if they do play down there, they should at least split the profits 70/30 or someting like that, just to be fair.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BVP
              Oh, i didnt know that Mexico enjoyed futbol norteamericano(american football) so much. But if they do play down there, they should at least split the profits 70/30 or someting like that, just to be fair.
              lol, I think there will be plenty of profit to go around... they were able to get over 100,000 in attendance last time™
              This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by BVP
                LMAO! But I don't think this would really be good for the Cardinals, who down in Mexico cares about football, and especially the Cardinals? Hmm, I don't care, as long as the Broncos arent stupid and do that, this news doesn't have any interest to me.

Actually, the provinces close to the US border have quite a few football fans. They have radio stations that carry the games in Spanish & English.

Raiders and Cowboys fan mostly, but I would think there would be SOME Cardinals fans in Nogales and Mexicali.

But why are they sending THOSE 2 teams? Thatw ill make the Mexican fans NOT want to be fans

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                You should check these guys out

Comment

Cards vs. Niners in MEXICO....WTF?

IMO, having a regular season game played in another country is stupid even if it is these two teams. With all that has happened with 9/11 and such, I think this is a bad idea and it's kind of ripping off fans who have season tickets for either team. I'd be willing to be that you'll see some players stay home during that game due to "safety concerns".

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
                    IMO, having a regular season game played in another country is stupid even if it is these two teams. With all that has happened with 9/11 and such, I think this is a bad idea and it's kind of ripping off fans who have season tickets for either team. I'd be willing to be that you'll see some players stay home during that game due to "safety concerns".

You've got some decent points. I don't know what their rationale is.
                    sigpic
                    They're your teammates, now.
                    Best of luck, TT!
                    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

That's going to SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                      2. Taxes
                      3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

thier rationale is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
                          I think this is a bad idea and it's kind of ripping off fans who have season tickets for either team.
                          it's the cards...theres probably not more then 12-15 of them...

Comment

More people want to see the Cards and Niners play in Mexico than in Arizona. Thats why its going to be played there.
                            visit the best website on earth

Critical Table

Comment

Originally posted by BIGD2oo4
                              thier rationale is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$
                              very true and where else are you going to get over 100,000 in attendance?

... cha-ching™

(pssst, BTW I started a thread on this yesterday in the "Other NFL Teams" section)
                              This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X