Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexico may host first regular season game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    First Regular Season Game Outside the USA

The Arizona Cardinals and the San Francisco 49er's will play their first regular season game out of the USA. I thought this was a strange move by the league.

I understand the fan base in Mexico is huge but robs a team of a home game. Arizona has terrible attendance but this seems like a big step to me.

Link to the story:

http://www.nfl.com/partners/aol/inde...//www.nfl.com/

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by Den45 KC27

Anyone know what they will call football in Mexico? Soccer?
    Futbol Americano

Leave a comment:

• PLUMMERFAN16
    replied
    Originally posted by Den45 KC27
    Last I've heard, Mexico City isn't exactly a hot bed for terrorists.

They are basically doing it for market purposes. The NFL is in love with $$$$$.

I'm sure it's not Beirut you're right, but seems like there was a similar situation recently in another sport where a few players decided to stay in the US due to safety concerns. Can't remember though.

Leave a comment:

• Den45 KC27
    replied
    Well.....

Last I've heard, Mexico City isn't exactly a hot bed for terrorists.

They are basically doing it for market purposes. The NFL is in love with $$$$$.

Leave a comment:

• PatrickdaDookie
    replied
    It's not about selling tickets. It's about presenting the sport to an international audience (why do you think there are three international preseason games each year?).

The NFL is a very profitable business and really don't have much more room to expand in America. So they are looking to other places for future revenue (see: NFL Europe).

Leave a comment:

• urinal_cake
    replied
    Originally posted by BIGD2oo4
    thier rationale is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$
    very true and where else are you going to get over 100,000 in attendance?

... cha-ching™

(pssst, BTW I started a thread on this yesterday in the "Other NFL Teams" section)

Leave a comment:

• BulldogRed
    replied
    More people want to see the Cards and Niners play in Mexico than in Arizona. Thats why its going to be played there.

Leave a comment:

• EddyMac87
    replied
    Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    I think this is a bad idea and it's kind of ripping off fans who have season tickets for either team.
    it's the cards...theres probably not more then 12-15 of them...

Leave a comment:

• BIGD2oo4
    replied
    thier rationale is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    That's going to SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• sbutk
    replied
    Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    IMO, having a regular season game played in another country is stupid even if it is these two teams. With all that has happened with 9/11 and such, I think this is a bad idea and it's kind of ripping off fans who have season tickets for either team. I'd be willing to be that you'll see some players stay home during that game due to "safety concerns".

You've got some decent points. I don't know what their rationale is.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMMERFAN16
    replied
    Cards vs. Niners in MEXICO....WTF?

IMO, having a regular season game played in another country is stupid even if it is these two teams. With all that has happened with 9/11 and such, I think this is a bad idea and it's kind of ripping off fans who have season tickets for either team. I'd be willing to be that you'll see some players stay home during that game due to "safety concerns".

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by BVP
    LMAO! But I don't think this would really be good for the Cardinals, who down in Mexico cares about football, and especially the Cardinals? Hmm, I don't care, as long as the Broncos arent stupid and do that, this news doesn't have any interest to me.

Actually, the provinces close to the US border have quite a few football fans. They have radio stations that carry the games in Spanish & English.

Raiders and Cowboys fan mostly, but I would think there would be SOME Cardinals fans in Nogales and Mexicali.

But why are they sending THOSE 2 teams? Thatw ill make the Mexican fans NOT want to be fans

Leave a comment:

• urinal_cake
    replied
    Originally posted by BVP
    Oh, i didnt know that Mexico enjoyed futbol norteamericano(american football) so much. But if they do play down there, they should at least split the profits 70/30 or someting like that, just to be fair.
    lol, I think there will be plenty of profit to go around... they were able to get over 100,000 in attendance last time™

Leave a comment:

• BVP
    replied
    Originally posted by urinal_cake
    I don't think its a bad idea, foootball is much more popular in Mexico than one may think. Bringing in 2 teams that are struggling in attendance could be a good risk IMO. There was an exhibition game in Mexico City in the 2001 preseason w/ the Raiders & the Cowboys. That seemed to do real well.™
    Oh, i didnt know that Mexico enjoyed futbol norteamericano(american football) so much. But if they do play down there, they should at least split the profits 70/30 or someting like that, just to be fair.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X