The Patriots aren't infallible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Patriots aren't infallible

Do you guys notice that every sports writer in the nation thinks the Pats can't make a mistake? The Patriots have had some questionable offseason moves, and not only have they not been questioned, but the media thinks every move has been "brilliant." Belichik has earned the respect of us all, but he is not immortal. Examples:

1. Charlie Weis and Romeo leave town
    2. Belichik, a defensive coach, decides not to hire an offensive coordinator, and will be heavily involved in play calling.
    3. 3rd round pick for oft-injured CB Duane Starkes of AZ
    4. Picks up a huge underachiever - WR David Terrell from Chicago
    5. Picks up Monty Biesel, chiefs 3rd string LB that only played last year because of injuries

Also, the pats "team first" attitude sure is handy for management...get Troy Brown to play DB and then cut him at the end of year. How come we never hear any criticism? Sportswiters have questioned in the past, and have been wrong, so now anything the man does is brilliant. Sorry about the rant, just some observations.

I think the pats are getting a little to smug. This year will be their downfall.

I think you're wrong.

David Terrell and Tom Brady were the "hookup" at Michigan. Terrell has a ton of talent, it's not like any WR on the Bears roster can be successful with Grossman injured half the time and no quality backups. Reuniting those guys by signing David cheap was ingenious.

Duane Starks was one of the best CBs in the NFL for Baltimore. If he stays healthy, he's a complete steal for a 3rd round pick.

Monty Beisel has talent, he's going to be a backup/emergency starter. He's also a SUPERB special teams player.

What's not to like about those signings?

The coaching moves bear watching, but Belichek will be fine.

Comment

They aren't, but sometimes they seem to be...

I agree with a couple of points: losing both Offensive and Defensive Coordinators will hurt, but realistically, the team couldn't do much to keep them. Having the Head Coach performing offensive coordinator duties, is also risky; probably it's biting more than one can chew.

But on the other hand, one year ago you could criticize some moves:

1.- Letting go Ted Washington and bringin Keith Traylor.
      2.- "Dillon is a potential cancer for the team and could be downhill in his career".
      3.- (After a preseason game in which Troy Brown played as defensive back): "It is not a smart decision to play one of your best receivers and risk him to have an injury".
      4.- I don't remember who, but they also let go a solid player in their o-line.

I agree with you, that all these are questionable moves/areas for next season, but you have to give credit to them because somehow, things work out for them.

Comment

I'm not even saying that all these moves are bad. And I'm certainly not saying that denver's organization is outpacing the pats. All I'm saying is that there is absolutely no dissent. I have not heard 1 negative review of these moves. David Terrell and Monty Biesel have done squat so far--but they do both have potential. Starks has potential as well. However, they are all gambles. And, no offensive coordinator--wow. Some sports writer should at least question this instead of saying "Belichik is so brilliant it is impossible for us mere mortals to comprehend the grand design." His poop stinks the same as mine.

Comment

LMAO.

People can say whatever they want to about the Patriots.

Until the dynasty is over, the Patriots are going to be the last ones laughing...
          Suck is NOT a bronco fan.

Comment

THIS is where we finally start seeing if they can continue their run. They have had the same player for the last three years, and those players messed and worked together well. Now free-agentcy has given them a hit, players are being cut for salary cap purposes, and coaches have left for other jobs. When you get a mix that works that well, losing players, losing coaches, and the changes seem to have a snowball effect. Its from this point that Belicheck can prove if he can continue to rebuild after having the right guys there.

Comment

Dillon wasn't a masterstroke... they won TWO SBs without him... how is this the winning piece for the Patriots??? It was a fine addition, but it wasn't exactly the piece that put them over the top. SMITH was good enough for them to win two SBs with... certainly any RB with legs was good enough. I'm not knocking Dillon, I made the point that we should have signed him to replace the departed Portis....but he wasn't a "masterstroke" for the patriots.

Comment

Originally posted by Black59Razor
                ...The Starks and Tim Dwight signings were brilliant, so I won't make further commentary on them....
                I don't understand how these are "brilliant" signings. Both are injury prone, and have never been worth a damn. Starks might pan out, but that's just because the Pats secondary is like Denvers RBs. You can plug anyone in and be successfull. Dwight is a good/great kick returner, but the Pats need a punt returner. He's a #5 reciever...at best.

The Pats were trying to sign Derrick Mason, but couldn't get it done. If they could have inked him, that would have been brilliant. If any other team signs Dwight or Starks or Terrell nobody pays attention. But the ******* Pats sign them, and they are great signings. That's bull****!

** Also, great thread BroncoDefense. Best thread I've seen in a long time. Mainly cause it isn't bashing or praising Plummer and the D-line moves. **
                Last edited by In-com-plete; 04-08-2005, 09:35 AM.

Comment

It truly looks as if jealously has reared its ugly head. The Pats are the 2000's 49ers. That being said, I think they are going to have a drop off this year. They have lost quite a few players and their two most important coordinators. Although last year they made it through injuries, I don't think they can do that again without experienced coaches keeping everyone from losing their heads. I feel that the Pats go 8-8 or 9-7 this year. But of course they are the Pats, so it could be 17-0.
                  Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                  Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                  Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoDefense
                    Do you guys notice that every sports writer in the nation thinks the Pats can't make a mistake?
                    unlike the other NFL teams of current, New England has a phenomenal track record. Not much has changed in NE as far as offense. The only change I can think of is they lost their #3 receiver and grabbed a WR Brady is comfortable with. It's not like Belicheck is taking over an offense that needs tons of work. Same with the defense. Solid and little change. Could it be that you're just jealous?
                    The NFL 2005 season... The season the NFL finally changed the rule around cut-blocking. Now will Denver actually play nice?

"I predict Jake & the offense will take pretty good care of the ball and there will be no turnovers™" - urinal_cake

Originally posted by EMCF
                    But wait until you meet a team of non-pansy players who can get it down for 4 quarters.

Comment

Originally posted by Black59Razor
                      and once again he will be proclaimed the Mastermind....
                      Shanahan isn't even master of his domain...
                      The NFL 2005 season... The season the NFL finally changed the rule around cut-blocking. Now will Denver actually play nice?

"I predict Jake & the offense will take pretty good care of the ball and there will be no turnovers™" - urinal_cake

Originally posted by EMCF
                      But wait until you meet a team of non-pansy players who can get it down for 4 quarters.

Comment

Working...
                      X