Marino Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marino Poll

On nfl.com there's a poll for which of Marino's accomplishments impresses you the most but mine isn't listed there.

I'm most impressed with his Super Bowl record. 0-1 in 17 tries.

What does everyone else think?

Originally posted by SkyFlash1
    On nfl.com there's a poll for which of Marino's accomplishments impresses you the most but mine isn't listed there.

Honestly, I think it's wrong to focus only on that negative aspect of his career.

As a pure passing QB, he had no equal. As an overall football player, I think Elway was better but that does not take away from Marino's fantastic passing ability. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame just like Karl Malone of the Jazz deserves to go for the NBA despite never winning it all. Just like Barry Sanders deserved to get inducted despite never even getting to the Big Game.

Super Bowls (or any championship in any sport) are great but not even close to being the top measuring stick of a player. There are so many factors that made Marino one of the greatest QBs of all time that the lack of Super Bowls is inconsequential.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
      Honestly, I think it's wrong to focus only on that negative aspect of his career.

As a pure passing QB, he had no equal. As an overall football player, I think Elway was better but that does not take away from Marino's fantastic passing ability. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame just like Karl Malone of the Jazz deserves to go for the NBA despite never winning it all. Just like Barry Sanders deserved to get inducted despite never even getting to the Big Game.

Super Bowls (or any championship in any sport) are great but not even close to being the top measuring stick of a player. There are so many factors that made Marino one of the greatest QBs of all time that the lack of Super Bowls is inconsequential.
      I couldn't agree more. He did everything he could to lead his team to the championship. Since he couldn't play defense, however, he was never able to get one. Some blame has to go to Dolphins management/coaching for never putting even a decent defense on the field during his prime.

Comment

the thing that impressed me most is that he held a great record of touchdowns in a season for a long time... until Peyton Manning

Comment

Originally posted by broncosphreek
          the thing that impressed me most is that he held a great record of touchdowns in a season for a long time... until Peyton Manning

If Marino had Manning's recievers and played in a dome, he would have made the record unreachable.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyFlash1

I would have to say im most impressed with his self loving attitude. Never have i seen anyone more arrogant or in love with themselves. Im not talking bout the selfloving greed that people like TO have. This is a different kind of arrogance which i never liked. You can see him on tv that he gets that uncomfortable itch about him if someone is threatening a record he has.

Comment

i agree with you The Dark Knight... he most likly would of had the record for all of NFL history. i think he would of gotten fifty to sixty TDs and i dont even think Manning could break sixty TDs in one season.

...............but it cant happen now.......................

Comment

heres how I break down the greatness of players-

A superbowl is the pinnacle for anyone, however it represents a great TEAM of players, not just 1. Unfortunatly for Marino, who is arguably the best to ever play the game he didnt always have a great team around him, I mean, they were capable, but they werent anything spectacular, so it effected him negativly. No you could say Montana was the best because he beat Marino and Elway in the superbowls but his team was obviously much more well rounded the other two opponents, so you really cant say Marino isnt the best because of a ring or lack there of, its just something else you need to consider when speaking of Marino, and Manning as well, although Manning will have his ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Joe
                  heres how I break down the greatness of players-

A superbowl is the pinnacle for anyone, however it represents a great TEAM of players, not just 1. Unfortunatly for Marino, who is arguably the best to ever play the game he didnt always have a great team around him, I mean, they were capable, but they werent anything spectacular, so it effected him negativly. No you could say Montana was the best because he beat Marino and Elway in the superbowls but his team was obviously much more well rounded the other two opponents, so you really cant say Marino isnt the best because of a ring or lack there of, its just something else you need to consider when speaking of Marino, and Manning as well, although Manning will have his ring.
                  Well said, although i hated elway id take him over marino any day. Manning will eclipse marino in every aspect. As we can all tell marino hates the idea of manning eclipsing him.

Comment

Originally posted by moonshot314
                    As we can all tell marino hates the idea of manning eclipsing him.
                    Where's this from? Has he said something? "As we can all tell" implies that there has been something said, so I hope you're not just talking about being able to read into a look or infer something based on your interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
                      Where's this from? Has he said something? "As we can all tell" implies that there has been something said, so I hope you're not just talking about being able to read into a look or infer something based on your interpretation.
                      His extreme uneasyness last year when asked about manning breaking his record.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
                        If Marino had Manning's recievers and played in a dome, he would have made the record unreachable.
                        If Marino played under the "No contact after 5 yards" rule, he would still hold the record today.
                        There's more to life than the Denver Broncos. Let me know when you find it.

Hear the dogs howling out of key, to a hymn called 'Faith and Misery' - Green Day

"If I can not bend heaven, I shall move Hell." - Vergil (Aeneid VII)

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
                          I couldn't agree more. He did everything he could to lead his team to the championship. Since he couldn't play defense, however, he was never able to get one. Some blame has to go to Dolphins management/coaching for never putting even a decent defense on the field during his prime.
                          or a running back, as well.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by moonshot314
                            His extreme uneasyness last year when asked about manning breaking his record.
                            This is what I meant by "reading into something." I saw some of those interviews also and I didn't read that he was upset about Manning, just a little uncomfortable being asked to form an opinion and comment on something he had no control over. If you think about it he was put in an awkward situation.

Comment

Working...
                            X