Poor Phillip Rivers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Phillip Rivers....

I know he says he would still have held out knowing what he knows now but you have to wonder...Shame he will spend two years on the bench. I think in the end San Diego will be trading Him and keeping Brees.

No way does San Diego spend $15 million on a guy who rides the bench. It just won't happen. They will either keep both QB's again next year and deal with a very upset Rivers, let Brees go through Free Agency, or trade Brees. Rivers is their longterm guy, they have too much invested in him to let him go. JMHO.
    Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

He brought it upon himself by holding out, cut any chance he had to win starting spot last year.
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I'm glad he is riding the bench. This should be a lesson to rookies coming into the league worrying about getting $15 instead of $14.5 million...

Rivers WOULD HAVE STARTED opening day if he hadn't held out. Period.

Now he gets to watch Brees have success week in and week out. Though I don't think Brees will ever be any better than a top 15 QB. He just doesn't make key throws when he has to.

Take away Tomlinson from that offense and you have basically NOTHING.
        Eeerrrrrr.......

Comment

I refuse to use "poor" to refer to somebody who got 15 md...

I think that was Favre who said that young players fail to realize that in this business, time "fixes" this kind of things, and you get paid then... anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
            I refuse to use "poor" to refer to somebody who got 15 md...

I think that was Favre who said that young players fail to realize that in this business, time "fixes" this kind of things, and you get paid then... anyway...
            Only if you're lucky enough to stay healthy..otherwise time doesn't do ****.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by Q-niverse
              I know he says he would still have held out knowing what he knows now but you have to wonder...Shame he will spend two years on the bench. I think in the end San Diego will be trading Him and keeping Brees.
              If they could, I'm sure they would keep both, but it's going to cost too much money. They know that Rivers is a natural talent, is young, and has little mileage on his body. If anything out of the ordinary were to happen to Breeze they could just plug in Rivers instead of waiting for draft day. The only draw back is that Rivers has got to be getting rusty. There's a diffrence between a preseason scrimage, and a playoff atmosphere divisional game. I think this offseason, San Diego is going to have to make a decision, or one of the two QB's will make it for them.

Comment

Actually I think SD will franchise Brees and trade him @ the end of the season. They just have too much invested in Rivers to be riding the pine and the cap hit would be much greater than tagging & trading Brees...™
                This space for rent

Comment

The cap hit would be too great if we traded Rivers. He is making nothing in salary the next three years. Most of his money came in the signing bonus. If we trade him that bonus would be accelerated and hit the cap the next two years. Poor Rivers is stuck in SD for the next two seasons because of his contract. Drew can be tagged again and again until River's bonus is spread over a reasonable number of years. Having two quality QBs gives us depth at the most important position on the team. The thing to understand here is that AJ Smith is going to do what is best for the Chargers and not just trade away Rivers because he wants to start. The Chargers can't afford to trade Rivers now. His big signing bonus hasn’t been spread over enough years. Rivers is going to have to win the job from Drew or ride the pine next year or two as well. After that the cap hit is much lower and we could see one of the QBs moved.

;);)

Watch out!!!

Comment

Im surprised I havent heard any "trade for Rivers" comments. with all the Jake bashers on this board.
                    sigpic

Comment

Rivers is getting what he deserves.. He held out for more money, and got his mint without ever stepping on to the field.. I think the nfl should put a cap on bonuses that rookies can get, so we dont have this problem.. Obviously money was more important to him than playing, so why should anyone listen if he gets disgruntled about not playing?

Comment

Tommy Maddox Part II

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                        - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoStud102
                          Now he gets to watch Brees have success week in and week out. Though I don't think Brees will ever be any better than a top 15 QB. He just doesn't make key throws when he has to.
                          1-3 is success? If SD keeps playing like they are now, I could see Rivers taking some reps by week 10.

Comment

Dolphins Browns and Cardinals and Lions will be looking for QBs come draft time, one will trade away their first to get Rivers and of course someone will get Lienhart...most likely cards, and I think the fins or lions will look into getting rivers and the Browns will just lay around and let their team turn to ****.
                            New England Patriots GM

Comment

Working...
                            X