Best Running back of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Running back of all time

I'm gonna have to go with Barry Sanders. He didn't have any bit of a line. They were just fat guys with no strength. Walter Payton, Emmit and Jim Brown have to be considered too.

Also, there's no doubt in my mind that Terrell would have been the greatest if he didn't get hurt.
    "It's better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees." -Emiliano Zapata
    R.I.P. D-Will & D-Nash R.I.P. Sean Taylor

I'm going to go with Walter Payton, but then a case can be made for several. Eric ****erson, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith......

Comment

I will have to go with Barry to.

no doubt Emmitt Smith was good....but IMO he shouldn't be the #1 career rusher. Stick him in Barry's situation and put Barry in Emmitt's.

Jim Brown is probally #2...was stupid to retire early to pursue a career in acting.

Walter is #3....and Emmitt is #4....I also think if TD didn't get hurt he would be higher but Im putting him at #5
      sigpic

Comment

Come to think about it, Jim Brown is really in a class by himself. He did retire early, but still he did play longer than many. Never missed a game due to injury. I'm not positive, but I don't think he even missed a play due to injury.

Comment

I'd have to say Barry too, all the things he did as a player were just spectacular, and as a person. He could have kept playing to pursue the records, but he didn't. He quit when he didn't enjoy the game as much, instead of staying for more selfish reasons.
          Power is not revealed by striking hard or often, but by striking true.

It is men who endure toil and dare danger that achieve glorious deeds, and it is a wonderful thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I saw some film of OJ Simpson the other day that made my jaw drop. I haven't seen anything like that in a LONG time. Man, he may be a killer, but he sure could run the football...

Go Broncos!!!

Comment

--- # 32, Mr. Jim Brown, hands down !!! --- ---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
              The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
              http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
              My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Yup . . .

Gotta be Jim Brown!!

-----

Comment

Originally posted by TDforTatum26
                  I will have to go with Barry to.

no doubt Emmitt Smith was good....but IMO he shouldn't be the #1 career rusher. Stick him in Barry's situation and put Barry in Emmitt's.

Jim Brown is probally #2...was stupid to retire early to pursue a career in acting.

Walter is #3....and Emmitt is #4....I also think if TD didn't get hurt he would be higher but Im putting him at #5

--- Mr. Jim Brown did not retire "early" --- he QUIT !!! --- he told the NFL to shove it and walked away ---

--- Barry did the same --- Barry could have had Sweetness' rushing title with one more season --- Barry didn't care --- he told the NFL to shove it too !!!

--- Walter took the title from Jim who could have ran it up if he had stayed --- on the same token, Walter could have ran it up if he stayed healthy --- (RIP)

--- Emmitt padded it at the cards ---

May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                  The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                  http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                  My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan
                    --- Mr. Jim Brown did not retire "early" --- he QUIT !!! --- he told the NFL to shove it and walked away ---

--- Barry did the same --- Barry could have had Sweetness' rushing title with one more season --- Barry didn't care --- he told the NFL to shove it too !!!

--- Walter took the title from Jim who could have ran it up if he had stayed --- on the same token, Walter could have ran it up if he stayed healthy --- (RIP)

I don't think Jim Brown was a quitter if that's what you're hinting at. Sanders did go through the retirement thing though. Maybe he did it for reasons some don't agree with , but he did retire. Yes, he could have earned the title had he stayed.

Staying healthy wasn't an issue with Payton during his playing days. He did miss some time, but far less than most. I think he retired because he played an extremely physical style and just got burnt out.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Snake Fan

One thing I liked about Brown was his head games. He would get up after every play like he was tired, hurt, battered and bruised. Then he would rip off another nine yards. And do the wounded duck act again. And so it would go and go and go. He was never seriously injured, yet you would swear (if you were the swearing type) he was injured after every run.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny7
                        I hate to say it, but I saw some film of OJ Simpson the other day that made my jaw drop. I haven't seen anything like that in a LONG time. Man, he may be a killer, but he sure could run the football...

If we just talk football and not LA Crime, OJ was as good as anyone ever and is on my short list. His 2000 yard season came in 14 games. Also, Jim Brown's seasons were only 12 games long, so adjust each seasons' totals against 16 games seasons of today.

The year OJ ran for 2003 yards was the single most domanating season I've ever seen. He was totally unstoppable. OJ was a WORLD/OLYMPIC class sprinter, with great football instincts.

I believe he still is part of the 4 x 100 YARD relay world record, since they soon did away with "yards" and went to meters. OJ was as fast as anyone in the world when he played.

I read an article a while back that graded the all-time draft and it polled some football people...John Elway was the highest rated prospect to EVER come out of college (ask Mel Kiper) and OJ was second, as far as "can't miss prospects" to ever be drafted.

With the ball ONLY:
                        Jim Brown
                        OJ
                        *Gale Sayers - short career due to injury.
                        Barry Sanders
                        Earl Campbell
                        Eric ****erson

Over-All (includes rushing, receiving, blocking)
                        Walter Payton

Comment

I honestly feel that Walter Payton was the best ALL around running back of all time.

Jim Brown was obviously in the same breath. Jim was just a different style, in different era.

Barry was incredible.... a running style that has never been matched.

OJ Simpson was TRULY amazing. His name brings up horrid thoughts...but his football play was amazing.

I too...feel that Terrell Davis would have been amongst the tops. I know this is purely conjecture...but after watching him run, I feel he was one of the greatest to play the game.

Comment

I lean towards Jim Brown, to me he just seemed to plow through defensive lines like a machine. Almost unstoppable, like he was a player ahead of his time.
                            The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Yes, he was kind of like Walter Payton. Punishing runner

Comment

Working...
                              X