Dungy's "Challenge"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungy's "Challenge"

Yet another reason I a) hate the Colts and b) believe the league does what it can to practically give them the trophy... If any of you saw the Chargers-Colts game, Manning was doing one of his cheap a$$ quick snaps so as to prevent the Chargers from defensive substitutions and/or to get a penalty called for having too many players on the field. The only problem was THE PENALTY WAS NEVER CALLED! Yet, Dungy threw his red flag out there and then SD was penalized for having had 12 men on the field. WTF?

Perhaps, you all are a lot smarter than me, but I'm having a hard time understanding how a call can be "overturned" if there never was a call to begin with? I thought video was to review calls, not to make them. If I'm mistaken about this, then why couldn't Denver challenge Dante Hall's punt return a couple of years ago when it was obvious that there were two blocks-in-the-back that sprung him free for the game-winning score?

Originally posted by Sevenis7
    Yet another reason I a) hate the Colts and b) believe the league does what it can to practically give them the trophy... If any of you saw the Chargers-Colts game, Manning was doing one of his cheap a$$ quick snaps so as to prevent the Chargers from defensive substitutions and/or to get a penalty called for having too many players on the field. The only problem was THE PENALTY WAS NEVER CALLED! Yet, Dungy threw his red flag out there and then SD was penalized for having had 12 men on the field. WTF?

Perhaps, you all are a lot smarter than me, but I'm having a hard time understanding how a call can be "overturned" if there never was a call to begin with? I thought video was to review calls, not to make them. If I'm mistaken about this, then why couldn't Denver challenge Dante Hall's punt return a couple of years ago when it was obvious that there were two blocks-in-the-back that sprung him free for the game-winning score?
    No idea why, but for some reason you are allowed to challenge the number of men on the field. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me...

Al Davis leads yet another squad to the brink of mediocrity.

Code Of Conduct
    ARTICLE VI: I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States Of America.

Comment

While I think it's a pretty cheap tactic, it is quite legal.

I don't like the way the Colts hurry up their offense trying to get the too many men on the field penalty. I don't like when Manning walks away from center and pretends to be making an audible and then they unexpectedly direct snap to the running back. I don't like how Manning started walking off the field at the end of the first half (last week I believe) with time running out and then hurried his offense back on the field trying to get a play off and take advantage of the defense being completely out of whack. I don't like it when they pretend to spike the ball to stop the clock but then throw deep.

Yeah, they are playing within the rules but I consider all of that cheap, poor sportsmanship. In my mind, there's a difference between trying to fool the defense with misdirection and trying to catch them offguard outside of the actual play using deceitful tactics like this.

The Colts are a great offense. They should play like it and beat the defense straight up and not resort to cheap ass crap like that.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
        While I think it's a pretty cheap tactic, it is quite legal.

I don't like the way the Colts hurry up their offense trying to get the too many men on the field penalty. I don't like when Manning walks away from center and pretends to be making an audible and then they unexpectedly direct snap to the running back. I don't like how Manning started walking off the field at the end of the first half (last week I believe) with time running out and then hurried his offense back on the field trying to get a play off and take advantage of the defense being completely out of whack. I don't like it when they pretend to spike the ball to stop the clock but then throw deep.

Yeah, they are playing within the rules but I consider all of that cheap, poor sportsmanship. In my mind, there's a difference between trying to fool the defense with misdirection and trying to catch them offguard outside of the actual play using deceitful tactics like this.

The Colts are a great offense. They should play like it and beat the defense straight up and not resort to cheap ass crap like that.
        True, I wish the media would talk about this rather than gush about them. It'll be 3 days before the "less than perfect" headlines stop. Let's stop hearing about that crap
        Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

though I don't agree with the Colts doing it nor the fact that you can challange it......it is legal. I even remember Dan (I can't stand the guy) Dierdorf saying that you can review if there was too many men on the field.

I also agree that though they are playing within the rules, they are playing "cheap."

What I really love is how when the Colts do it it's okay and Manning is such a great (yeah right) QB and all that but when the Bronc's were winning it was always "Oh they cheat and chop block and blah blah blah...... "

WTF?!?!?!

PEACE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenis7

As much as I dislike the whiney Colts, this was within reason. It's clearly stated in the rulebook that you can only have 11 men on the field at the time of the snap, Peyton saw the Chargers were being slow and he took advantage of it, it was a good call. Elway did this occasionally in the past as well. Nothing wrong with it. If anything, the refs should be blamed for not catching it right away.
            The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
              I don't like when Manning walks away from center and pretends to be making an audible and then they unexpectedly direct snap to the running back. I don't like how Manning started walking off the field at the end of the first half (last week I believe) with time running out and then hurried his offense back on the field trying to get a play off and take advantage of the defense being completely out of whack. I don't like it when they pretend to spike the ball to stop the clock but then throw deep.
              These things and where Manning moves up to the center to "change the play", back to shotgun, and then back to the line... at what point can a quarterback be called for illegal motion???

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv
                These things and where Manning moves up to the center to "change the play", back to shotgun, and then back to the line... at what point can a quarterback be called for illegal motion???
                If the ball is snapped and he is still moving......

He is allowed to do all of that.. any QB can, hell Brees has been doing it quite a bit. I hate defending the Colts but you guys are really nitpicking him.
                The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

I disagree to a good extent. I think you do whatever you can within the rules to win when considering "mental" strategies. These aren't cheap shots were someone can get hurt...They are mind games.

I remember John Elway being about the best at the hard count, and seemingly would get 2-3 offsides a game and I don't see the difference between Elway trying to trick people to jump offsides or Manning trying to trick people that the play is over.

Stay alert and hustle off the field, or pay the consequences. There's 60 minutes in a game and if a team quits 10 seconds early, make them pay. If a lineman is too slow getting off the field, make them pay.

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv

I think half the time he really isn't doing anything. I think he does that to confuse the D and also to see what changes they are making......I feel he is getting credit for being a better QB than he is. Everyone is always like "He calls his own plays and changes them at the line. He is so great." I don't think so. I think he just goes up there and starts yelling off random names and s**t. If you look at the players...thay don't move or react to the audible....also the play that he supposedly changed looks just like every other play he will call....a short pass to a cutting receiver....which bring up another thing that bothers me about QB stats. Why is it that a QB can throw a 5 yard pass the receiver runs it 74 yards for a TD and the QB gets a 75 yard TD pass to his credit. Marino did this all the time, Gannon had a MVP season while doing this the entire year, Manning id doing it. I think the QB should get credit for the length of the PASS not the length of the RUN.

PEACE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
                      I disagree to a good extent. I think you do whatever you can within the rules to win when considering "mental" strategies. These aren't cheap shots were someone can get hurt...They are mind games.

I remember John Elway being about the best at the hard count, and seemingly would get 2-3 offsides a game and I don't see the difference between Elway trying to trick people to jump offsides or Manning trying to trick people that the play is over.

Stay alert and hustle off the field, or pay the consequences. There's 60 minutes in a game and if a team quits 10 seconds early, make them pay. If a lineman is too slow getting off the field, make them pay.
                      To a certain extent, I agree with this. Stay alert and get off the field. Everyone knows the Colts do this, and should adjust accordingly.

Sportsmanship demands you play like a man. To resort to such tactics rubs me the wrong way.

However, to fake the end of a game, and start walking off the field-in a clear blowout against the Titans- to come back out and try one more play is just underhanded to me. There was no reason to do that, no strategic advantage for the Colts doing this.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                      -Sean Payton

Comment

I think that if you can challenge that you should be able to challenge holding.....our D-line gets held all the time....we would win three challenges a game. No that we would use them all on holding calls of course.

Comment

I agree with the colts doing, they also threatened to do it again, later in the game, then semi huddled after SD decided not to rotate defense.

What I don't agree with is allowing the red flag in that situation when a call wasn't made.

(Don't hate me) I like the colts. But I lost some respect for their defense last night int he third quarter. There were a couple of plays where they stopped SD and appeared to Taunt/Gloat over the player, and a flag wasn't thrown for it. On one of those plays, one of the defensive players stood up, looked down at the offensive player and the defensive player yanked his own helmet off, then realizing that is a penalty, slammed it back on real quick. They showed me some real poor sportsman ship when they were making their come back. Because of that, I was glad to see San Diego win the game. Besides, I'd rather see Denver have to EARN that division win instead of just getting it awarded to them.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosorBust
                            I agree with the colts doing, they also threatened to do it again, later in the game, then semi huddled after SD decided not to rotate defense.

What I don't agree with is allowing the red flag in that situation when a call wasn't made.

(Don't hate me) I like the colts. But I lost some respect for their defense last night int he third quarter. There were a couple of plays where they stopped SD and appeared to Taunt/Gloat over the player, and a flag wasn't thrown for it. On one of those plays, one of the defensive players stood up, looked down at the offensive player and the defensive player yanked his own helmet off, then realizing that is a penalty, slammed it back on real quick. They showed me some real poor sportsman ship when they were making their come back. Because of that, I was glad to see San Diego win the game. Besides, I'd rather see Denver have to EARN that division win instead of just getting it awarded to them.
                            Like the Colts?! Ewww!
                            I might respect the Colts for the talent they have. I can understand trying to gain any advantage to win a football game-but there is a fine line.

At what point do you become like the Raiders, with a bad reputation and no respect in the league?
                            sigpic
                            Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                            -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN
                              At what point do you become like the Raiders, with a bad reputation and no respect in the league?

I thinks it's when the league starts changing rules and such to fit the style of play of a certain team....

PEACE!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X