Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saints are going home!

Some good news for the Saints fans!

The New Orleans Saints football team will return to New Orleans and plans to play all its 2006 home games in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina forced a move to San Antonio this year, team owner Tom Benson said on Friday.

He told reporters "the entire Saints organization" would go back to the city after the team's final 2005 game this Sunday against Tampa Bay in Florida.

Benson's announcement ended speculation for now that he would keep the Saints permanently in San Antonio, where he has a home and several businesses. But neither he nor the National Football League has committed to keeping the Saints in New Orleans beyond 2006.

The Saints' home stadium, the Superdome, was badly damaged in the August 29 storm and the chaotic aftermath when thousands of people took refuge in the stadium to escape rising flood waters.

Officials have said the Superdome should be ready for use next fall, perhaps as early as mid-September, or shortly after the start of the season.

The Saints lived and practiced in San Antonio and played three games in the city's Alamodome this fall. They played four games in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70 miles from New Orleans and the rest on the road.
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Good news, indeed!

Hopefully the rest of the city can recover in such a timely manner!
    sigpic
    Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
    -Sean Payton

Comment

Originally posted by BroncFanIN
      Good news, indeed!

Hopefully the rest of the city can recover in such a timely manner!
      I think it's good, especially after the trouble that was stirred up by the owner.

God, I'd love to be rich enough to own a team! I've been thinking of names.

L.A. Gladiators(to play in the Coliesium)
      Wichita Linemen
      Hawaii Wave
      Tucson Hawks

How much fun would that be!?

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
        I think it's good, especially after the trouble that was stirred up by the owner.

God, I'd love to be rich enough to own a team! I've been thinking of names.

L.A. Gladiators(to play in the Coliesium)
        Wichita Linemen
        Hawaii Wave
        Tucson Hawks

How much fun would that be!?
        That would be a lot of fun! At least then you could get a bigger place for your QB collection!

I do have to wonder if the Saints will re-locate after 2006. I heard even before the hurricane, they were having trouble filling up the stadium.

But the San Antonio Saints? ewww!
        There's got to be a better name than that!
        sigpic

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
        -Sean Payton

Comment

That would be a lot of fun! At least then you could get a bigger place for your QB collection!

I do have to wonder if the Saints will re-locate after 2006. I heard even before the hurricane, they were having trouble filling up the stadium.

But the San Antonio Saints? ewww!
          There's got to be a better name than that!
          I hope that if they do move, that the people of New Orleans do a Cleveland and get to keep the Saints name for NO.

San Antonio Pioneers/Prarie Dogs/Cougars?

Can Texas handle 3 teams?

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
            I hope that if they do move, that the people of New Orleans do a Cleveland and get to keep the Saints name for NO.

San Antonio Pioneers/Prarie Dogs/Cougars?

Can Texas handle 3 teams?
            It's a big state! Though I do like the San Antonio Prarie Dogs. Or San Antonio Amarillos?
            sigpic

-Sean Payton

Comment

It's a big state! Though I do like the San Antonio Prarie Dogs. Or San Antonio Amarillos?
              Ooooo Amarillo's! That's great!

In a nice Dark Red and Silver uni!

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

The fact that the Saints are remaining in New Orleans is great news. However, how many citizens that perhaps were ticket buyers did not or will not return to the city because of the mess that is still down there?

I watched an update on NO the other day and they are still in bad shape down there. It is easy for those of us that don't live around the area to forget what happened and how much those people are still struggling.

The team remaining there gives hope and light in the tunnel for a city devastated by a natural disaster. I hope the Saints can give that city some sense of purpose and bring back the residents that gave up hope.

So FEMA and our government need to step up to the plate and get those troubled areas livable again. Get those businesses running again. The city itself is damn near broke with no tax revenue.

The situation really is far from over.
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X