damn refs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tnedator
    Well, that cost me in the office pool to the tune of about $350.

I think it was sooo close that delusional, conspiracy theories aside, that whatever was called on the field would stand under review.

However, after watching numerous replays, it looked to me that his arm and part of the ball crossed the plane of the front edge of the goal line as the contact between the defender and Ben occurred a foot or so above the goal line. He was then pushed back and down and the ball hit the ground a couple inches short of the line.

I wish the had a permanently mounted camera shooting down the goal line from each side. Possibly two more suspended above the front pylons looking straight down. Considering the billions the NFL makes, it seems like it would be a fairly minor investment. As it is, sometimes you get a camera angle down the line, but since it is generally a moving camera, it is not always straight down the line. Angles make all the difference in the world.

Number One: I seem to be among the minority that agree, I think he did make it in. I watched them replay it several times during the review, and every time I thought it was conclusive. As I've already posted in a separate thread, if you can direct me to a conclusive replay somewhere on the Web already, I'd be highly appreciative.

Number Two: I think you're onto something. Short of installing a beacon in the ball and an array of sensors running the length of the goal line (which may still be a few years down the road), I think more cameras is the clear-cut short term answer. As you've alluded to, there should be a permanent camera mounted at knee-height on both ends of the goal line to capture those all-important views. Furthermore, to eliminate any ambiguity (save for a body getting in the way) there should be a string of cameras suspended directly over the goalline (you know, in the same fashion as you see those cartoons of pigeons sitting on a power line, waiting for the freshly-washed car to pass under.)

I think this would elminate a lot of arguments and discussion in cases like this.
    sigpic
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbutk
      Number One: I seem to be among the minority that agree, I think he did make it in. I watched them replay it several times during the review, and every time I thought it was conclusive. As I've already posted in a separate thread, if you can direct me to a conclusive replay somewhere on the Web already, I'd be highly appreciative.

Number Two: I think you're onto something. Short of installing a beacon in the ball and an array of sensors running the length of the goal line (which may still be a few years down the road), I think more cameras is the clear-cut short term answer. As you've alluded to, there should be a permanent camera mounted at knee-height on both ends of the goal line to capture those all-important views. Furthermore, to eliminate any ambiguity (save for a body getting in the way) there should be a string of cameras suspended directly over the goalline (you know, in the same fashion as you see those cartoons of pigeons sitting on a power line, waiting for the freshly-washed car to pass under.)

I think this would elminate a lot of arguments and discussion in cases like this.

For that matter why not just rig the refs with mini cameras so we can see what they see on each play during reviews then we can accurately judge whether the initial call should have been made based on the refs perspective then we can compare that with goalline cameras and the other cameras through out the stadium.
      sigpic
      Sig Made by BroncoFanCam
      Finally after 10 years I am finally a season ticket holder!:go:

Comment

• Originally posted by broncofan428
        For that matter why not just rig the refs with mini cameras so we can see what they see on each play during reviews then we can accurately judge whether the initial call should have been made based on the refs perspective then we can compare that with goalline cameras and the other cameras through out the stadium.
        The point is to give THEM more chance to make correct calls. WE dont get a say in how calls or made, and WE are not the judjes. They are.

The NFL isnt going to spend a dime so WE can second guess them..............

Comment

• I have a simple answer for all this, dock... Dock from their paycheck or fine if you want, any ref that makes a terrible call that was so obvious that there is no justification, also dock more for those made in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl.

And if they don't complain the league will know they had been paid off... Hahaha. And any ref with more then ten three strikes in this area will be removed from officiating.

Comment

• Originally posted by JWinn
            The point is to give THEM more chance to make correct calls. WE dont get a say in how calls or made, and WE are not the judjes. They are.

The NFL isnt going to spend a dime so WE can second guess them..............

Oh I understand completely. However if we can see the play from their point of veiw maybe just maybe we wouldn't be so angry at them. Just to show the sceptics me included how hard it realy is to make a judgment from their point of view at full speed. But mainly my comment was only a comment it wasn't a real suggestion because it would help them do their job at all. and to be honest with you they probably won't spend a dime to increase their ability to make a better call by putting the permanent cameras on the goalline because that would only work for goalline plays what about plays on the rest of the field?????
            To them it would be a waste of time. I just think they need to lossen up on the rules a little bit and let the player play!!!
            sigpic
            Sig Made by BroncoFanCam

Comment

• Originally posted by lancane
              I have a simple answer for all this, dock... Dock from their paycheck or fine if you want, any ref that makes a terrible call that was so obvious that there is no justification, also dock more for those made in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl.

And if they don't complain the league will know they had been paid off... Hahaha. And any ref with more then ten three strikes in this area will be removed from officiating.

Your idea sounds the best because then the refs would take more care to call the right play because if they blown a call that is obvious to everyone else they know they will lose part or all of their pay for that game
              No one wants to lose money
              sigpic
              Sig Made by BroncoFanCam

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
                Off topic.. I like that panoramic picture in your sig...

But the 8 yard line of what? The concession stand? That looks pretty central to the corner of the endzone to me... I wonder what they were thinking naming it that?
                Yep.

The Broncos were on the 8 yard line against the Patty's about to score on them......again.

Comment

• Originally posted by lancane
                  I have a simple answer for all this, dock... Dock from their paycheck or fine if you want, any ref that makes a terrible call that was so obvious that there is no justification, also dock more for those made in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl.

It has been discussed nationally for years.

Why don't they fine refs for making a bad call?
                  sigpic

Comment

Just a hunch, but your sarcastic tone implies that you disagree with my suggestion.

sigpic
                    Best of luck, TT!

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Just a hunch, but your sarcastic tone implies that you disagree with my suggestion.

No I just feel that would only solve the questionable calls on the goallines but would do nothing to solve questionable calls anywhere else on the field. I think lancane and Mtnman said it best just fine the $#%@in refs for blown calls they make becaus they don't make enough money to lose it all for being biast to any given team so it would help solve the problems with refs seeming to be intentionally blowing calls to help the cause of one team over another. But not really sarcasm I just don't think a string of cameras above the goaling will help at all. However the cameras at knee height would be incredibly helpful for calls such as roethlessbergers controversial TD.
                      sigpic
                      Sig Made by BroncoFanCam

Comment

No I just feel that would only solve the questionable calls on the goallines but would do nothing to solve questionable calls anywhere else on the field. I think lancane and Mtnman said it best just fine the $#%@in refs for blown calls they make becaus they don't make enough money to lose it all for being biast to any given team so it would help solve the problems with refs seeming to be intentionally blowing calls to help the cause of one team over another. But not really sarcasm I just don't think a string of cameras above the goaling will help at all. However the cameras at knee height would be incredibly helpful for calls such as roethlessbergers controversial TD.

Hmm, ok. Seems I read your post the wrong way, sorry. ...True, my idea would only help with calls at the goal line. One might argue that those are the calls most likely to affect scoring and the outcome of the game. But I suppose I can't be 100% confident in that statement, since a similar dive on 4th and inches at midfield when a team is trailing with 2:00 left on the clock might be just as important. ...And I agree, the fines are also a good idea.

sigpic
                        Best of luck, TT!

Comment

Hmm, ok. Seems I read your post the wrong way, sorry. ...True, my idea would only help with calls at the goal line. One might argue that those are the calls most likely to affect scoring and the outcome of the game. But I suppose I can't be 100% confident in that statement, since a similar dive on 4th and inches at midfield when a team is trailing with 2:00 left on the clock might be just as important. ...And I agree, the fines are also a good idea.

Yes and anything or combinations of anything will definitley help with how bad the officiating has become so all of our ideas would come in handy. Something does need to be done for the teams and the fans sake
                          sigpic
                          Sig Made by BroncoFanCam

Comment

Working...
                          X