Aren't they rich enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aren't they rich enough?

This is just classless..I don't think it's been posted, but Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw declined to go to the NFL Superbowl MVP ceremony, because the NFL wouldn't meet their financial requests.

Montana supposedly wanted $100,000 to go, while the NFL was giving $1,000 to cover expenses.

Here's the article from espn.com http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2321024

Reports: Money differences leave QBs out

When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, turned down the invitation over money, Newsday and the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Montana, however, told ESPN2's Cold Pizza last week that he wasn't going to be at the game because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend.

Bradshaw, who told league officials that he wanted to be with his family, also took issue with the fees, the Chronicle reported. Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money.

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.
    Administrator

sigpic

*IF* all of that is true, it's very sad. ESPECIALLY Bradshaw! Turning down a trip the the SB to see his Steelers win.

Comment

I read somewhere that Bradshaw was with his family

Comment

Well if it was about money, they didn't get any, yet somehow managed to buy some bad publicity.
        The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
          This is just classless..I don't think it's been posted, but Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw declined to go to the NFL Superbowl MVP ceremony, because the NFL wouldn't meet their financial requests.

Montana supposedly wanted $100,000 to go, while the NFL was giving $1,000 to cover expenses.

Here's the article from espn.com http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2321024

Reports: Money differences leave QBs out

When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, turned down the invitation over money, Newsday and the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Montana, however, told ESPN2's Cold Pizza last week that he wasn't going to be at the game because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend.

Bradshaw, who told league officials that he wanted to be with his family, also took issue with the fees, the Chronicle reported. Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money.

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.

Being an autograph collector for a while you learn that quick about Joe Montana. I quit collecting 5 years ago but at that time he was already chargin over $100 for any autograph seesions at special events, if you ever got a free on consider yourself lucky.

Now our boy John on the other hand, i got 3 from him, all FREE.

Joe was an overrated turd anyways

by SNK

by mrbrightside111

Comment

I know my wife always asks me, why do I invest so much time into football and the Broncos, because all they are, are a bunch of over paid crybabieswith athletic abilities. She's right, but I love football like she likes her soap operas. It would be sad if this is true about Montana.

Comment

That is sad. You have to be one pathetic human being to charge someone $100+ to do something that takes three seconds tops! Luckily, there are a few out there like John. Thank you to the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Elways1Fan
                Being an autograph collector for a while you learn that quick about Joe Montana. I quit collecting 5 years ago but at that time he was already chargin over $100 for any autograph seesions at special events, if you ever got a free on consider yourself lucky.

Now our boy John on the other hand, i got 3 from him, all FREE.

Joe was an overrated turd anyways
                I sent a football card to the 49ers, c/o Joe Montana, with a letter, and a self addressed stamped envelope, and the card was returned, signed by Joe Montana.

Same with Elway, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Karl Mecklenburg, Bernie Kosar, and a few others.

Dan Marino was the only player who did not return my card.

I don't consider myself lucky, Montana, and Elway were always class acts. I am sure Montana's kid having a game is the sole reason he was not in attendance. He probably told his kid, he would miss the game, and give him 100K for doing it.

Comment

Montana is a joke. He won SB's, but didn't he get divorced. That in my mind is the biggest game. Many folks get divorced over money issues and if he couldn't even hold on to that with that celebrity, boo friggen hoo. I feel it's classless what he pulled. And I'm sorry, if he told cold pizza and other media outlets that he had to attend his kids basketball game, I call BS. The NFL plans this stuff at least 2-3 months before hand. Espacially for the 40th SB MVP thing. Not a week or two before hand. I think it's classless.

I will never pay for an autograph except one time. I have an officail NFL ball signed by Elway, Elam, TD, Neil Smith, Alfred Willaiams, Rod smith and Anthony Miller all signed. I went to training camp and Elways had this large ass chew in and was happy to sign my ball. TD, actually signed my ball twice and Rod was in his rookie year before he was a star and signed it #18 when he was on the practice squad. Rod was the only player to stop and sign that day in greeley. I was with a buddy and Rod was the only guy signing. He also signed my buddys ball, but my pal got upset that a no name signed it. I remember telling him you never know, he might be the best. He is hitting himself today because he tossed the ball away. I still have my beloved MVP ball in a case. Only time I payed for an autograph was to get Ray Parks autograph for my wife. He played darth Maul in Star Wars Episode !. The guy was a total class act. Even took picks with every single person in line, even before they paid the $15.00. Best part, he paid extra speacial attention to the mentally challenged kids in line. That I will pay for. These other guys, they just make themselves look like ****s in the long run.
                  Last edited by VADER72; 02-06-2006, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Maybe they do need the money.

I mean, Dennis Rodman has just done Celeb Big Brother in England, and has played some games. Not really what you'd expect from a top sportsman, but y'know, maybe they just suck at managing their finances.
                    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Black00SS
                      I sent a football card to the 49ers, c/o Joe Montana, with a letter, and a self addressed stamped envelope, and the card was returned, signed by Joe Montana.

Same with Elway, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Karl Mecklenburg, Bernie Kosar, and a few others.

Dan Marino was the only player who did not return my card.

I don't consider myself lucky, Montana, and Elway were always class acts. I am sure Montana's kid having a game is the sole reason he was not in attendance. He probably told his kid, he would miss the game, and give him 100K for doing it.

more that likely it was a automated sig (a machine copies his sig)

Montana charging for autograph

Do a little research on google and youll see he charges, going rate now is upto 150$

Quote form article "One way to help ensure the signed collectibles you buy are authentic, is to purchase them from reputable companies who sign athletes under contract. Believe it or not, athletes sign items for money, often for large amounts. For instance, Joe Montana, who has signed for Memorabilia Lane, charges around $150.00 for his signature alone. "

by SNK

by mrbrightside111

Comment

Although I do not agree with them skipping out on a celebration for the select few. But some of you guys are old enough to remember Montana and Bradshaw playing and even though im sure they arent exactly broke they didnt make the kinda money that the players these days make. You cant really get mad at somebody for not wanting to do something they might not wanted to do. Thats why we should be proud to be an American you can slap people in the face with a classless show of non appreciation and still have both of your hands

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
                          Maybe they do need the money.

I mean, Dennis Rodman has just done Celeb Big Brother in England, and has played some games. Not really what you'd expect from a top sportsman, but y'know, maybe they just suck at managing their finances.
                          Well, maybe they nee to join the rest of us and work a REAL job. I don't feel bad for them if they're stupid with all the money handed to them.

And the post above this, bullcrap. Both have millions in the bank. More than you and I make or anyone else makes on here. It's their fault they blew it all, not ours.
                          Last edited by VADER72; 02-06-2006, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Here is another article on it from Newsday.com., and I totally agree with the writer's comments.

Montana still a money player
                            Bob Glauber
                            FOOTBALL

February 7, 2006

DETROIT -- They were all there, legends from the time when the Super Bowl was a fledgling event and from when it had become a full-fledged spectacle.

Bart Starr and Joe Namath. Jerry Rice and Lynn Swann. Marcus Allen and Tom Brady. Every Super Bowl MVP from the first 39 games gathered here for a stirring pregame ceremony honoring 40 years of this grand event.

Well, almost every one.

Noticeably absent was the most celebrated gridiron hero of all, the only man to win three Super Bowl MVP awards. Where was Joe Montana?

The former 49ers and Chiefs quarterback, who redefined his position with grace and understated boldness, was home in the San Francisco suburbs. He told people during the week, when he made paid promotional appearances in Detroit, that he had to go home to watch one of his kids' basketball games.

But the NFL was told a different story. According to a highly placed person in the NFL, Montana didn't show because the league couldn't satisfy his desire to make at least $100,000 in appearance fees. It's what we reported in Sunday's Newsday.

Montana could not be reached for comment yesterday, and a call to his agency, IMG in Kansas City, was not returned.

Terry Bradshaw wasn't here, either. He told NFL officials he wanted to spend this Super Bowl at home with his family in Louisiana. But why not pay something back to the sport, especially with his Steelers in the big game for only the second time since his glory days?

The only other invitee who didn't show was former Dolphins defensive back Jake Scott, who had a long-planned trip to Australia. No one missed him.

But they did miss two guys who totaled five MVP trophies during brilliant careers. As one NFL type who was chapped at Montana's absence said, "He played the 'child card.' How are you going to beat up a guy who wants to be with his kids?"

Let me show you how: It was a totally lame excuse.

It's not as if Montana was being asked to go to Tulsa for a $25,000 appearance for a cell phone company. He was asked to join in the celebration of a sport that made him fabulously wealthy and incredibly famous.

"It was a great event, and it would have been nice to see him there," former Giants MVP Ottis Anderson said yesterday.

Considering the unremarkable game in which the Steelers won their fifth Super Bowl title, the MVP ceremony will go down as a memory just as thrilling as Antwaan Randle El's option pass for a touchdown to this year's MVP, Hines Ward. But without Montana and Bradshaw, it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been.

And it would have been special to see Montana do the coin toss with his fellow MVPs around him at midfield. Two people familiar with the situation told Newsday that Montana, not Brady, would have flipped the coin.

Montana would have been treated like royalty, especially having grown up in western Pennsylvania, where all those black-and-gold-clad Steelers fans live and breathe football.

And you don't think those same fans wouldn't have gone gaga over Bradshaw? Please. They erupted in a standing ovation when Swann and Franco Harris emerged from the tunnel, and Bradshaw surely would have gotten an even bigger welcome.

"He wanted to be with his family," Fox broadcast partner James Brown said.

Montana's situation should come as no surprise. It's an open secret in NFL and television marketing circles that Montana will rarely leave home unless there are big dollars at the destination. One TV executive said Montana makes appearances only if he's underwritten by a sponsor.

Montana apparently wasn't the only one with a problem about the financial arrangement. Some MVPs grumbled that the NFL had promised a $1,000 per diem when in fact the league gave them $1,000 spending money for the weekend. And postgame traffic was so bad that a bunch of them had to walk several blocks back to the hotel.

On the flip side, they did get two first-class tickets to the Super Bowl and were feted on several occasions before it.

But forget the complaints. This was about giving something back to the game that created his legacy, and Montana should have been there to return the favor with his celebrated colleagues in a joyous moment. Same with Bradshaw.

No excuses. Not when almost everyone else found a way to get there.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by VADER72
                              Well, maybe they nee to join the rest of us and work a REAL job. I don't feel bad for them if they're stupid with all the money handed to them.

And the post above this, bullcrap. Both have millions in the bank. More than you and I make or anyone else makes on here. It's their fault they blew it all, not ours.
                              Okay, chill. I said MAYBE!

And the article also said that both wanted to be with their families. Quite frankly I think it's nonsense saying that they're lying about that and that the money thing MUST be true, because no-one in their right mind ever wants to spend time with their family!

Also, could you be more hypocritical? You say they need to get real jobs, like real people, but you expect them not to want to be with their kids, like real people. Make up your mind.
                              Last edited by Kapaibro; 02-06-2006, 08:10 PM.
                              President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                              I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X