X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dabreeze1984
    replied
    Originally posted by VADER72
    Well, maybe they nee to join the rest of us and work a REAL job. I don't feel bad for them if they're stupid with all the money handed to them.

And the post above this, bullcrap. Both have millions in the bank. More than you and I make or anyone else makes on here. It's their fault they blew it all, not ours.
    Oh I forgot your their banker you know these kinda things. You dont know about their financial situations anymore or less than I do. And if im not mistaken T.B. does work and im sure that gig on fox doesnt exactly pay millions of dollars. so get outta here with your silliness

Leave a comment:

• BroncoRT
    replied
    Fine, let me have the life style players have playing 4 years. What is is? At least 300K per year after the first year as a vet- salary min. Sorry, but if I played 4 years at 300K that's still over a million and my current salary working 5 days a week monday -Friday isnt even close over those 4 years. In short they get paid major money to sacrifice their body 5 months out of the year. There are other professions that do much more every week than a pro athlete as we all know. So on topic. J. Montana in my mind is classless wanting more money when he already has a ton in the bank and we all know it.
    For four years they make good money. Compared to other athletes, they are under paid. Also if the NFL is exploiting you to make money, wouldn't you want a cut? I don't think it's classless, I think it is business. A lot of the NFL players are married, fathers and are family men who just want to take of their parents, wives and kids. The NBA guys have more of a "Bling Bling" lifestyle.

After that a lot of them will have health issues for the rest of their lives and living in pain, the NFL isn't that glamourous. Look at Dwayne Carswell, freak car accident and he has medical bills for life. They just want their cut of the money pie that goes around in the NFL, the owners get huge chunks and they get tiny pieces. You can't blame some players for wanting more money.

I make peanuts compared to these guys, so I see your aspect as being Joe Schmo and trying rub two nickels together. But also you know what you money deserve and how much you generate around you. The NFL isn't different in that aspect, its just a lot more money than we deal with.

Leave a comment:

• VADER72
    replied
    Fine, let me have the life style players have playing 4 years. What is is? At least 300K per year after the first year as a vet- salary min. Sorry, but if I played 4 years at 300K that's still over a million and my current salary working 5 days a week monday -Friday isnt even close over those 4 years. In short they get paid major money to sacrifice their body 5 months out of the year. There are other professions that do much more every week than a pro athlete as we all know. So on topic. J. Montana in my mind is classless wanting more money when he already has a ton in the bank and we all know it.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoRT
    replied
    My issue (and not with the user who said it) but this is wrong. " but to expect the same from them as you get from the guy on the street is not right. They aren't regular guys. Would you pay the big bucks to see regular guys play football?" They are all regular guys.

Yes I would. They are no better than any of us. Sorry, but many of us with the training like they get could do the same things NFL players do. It;s just many of us didn't get the oppurtinity like they have had. I Just don't like the guys that think they need to feed their families on 14 million a year to survive or can walk 20 yards to make a SB apperance without someone payin them 100 thousand dollars plus airfair and top of the line hotel rooms dollars to do so. That's what I don't respect.

What I find funny is that we say how poorly the NFL players get paids. They're only getting paid 8 million a year and they're carreeers are so short. LMAO. I would sacarifice my body to just make that in 10 years. Again, I can't feel sorry for them. Especially since they really dont work a full year.
    Dude, have you ever sick, injured or disabled? You would sacrifice your body for ten years? LOL. I bet you couldn't sacrifice 10 days. Have you ever heard the saying at least you have your health? A lot of these guys have serious issues to deal with after their careers. The average career of an RB in the NFL is a little over four years, not ten. For a player to play ten years in the NFL is hard to come by. I believe we have 7 players on our team that has played 10+years out of 53. Thats is about 13%. Not very good.

The NFL is making hundreds of millions of dollars a year and feeding the players scraps compared to MLB and the NBA. If the NFL is going to make money off of you and your acomplishments, you have every right to ask for money in return to do public events.

Leave a comment:

• VADER72
    replied
    What I find funny is that we say how poorly the NFL player get paids. They're only getting millions a year and they're carreers are so short.

LMAO. I would sacarifice my body to just make that 8 million in 10 years. I know on my salary I wont make that.

Again, I can't feel sorry for them. Especially since they really dont work a full year and make the type of money they make.

Plus if Montana want's to make himself look like a tool for the money he makes off those FedEx commercials, all the power. Without the NFL, he would be nothing and he should have been there with the rest of the MVP's.
    Last edited by VADER72; 02-06-2006, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Prodigal19
    replied
    UPDATE:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2321024

Montana, Bradshaw deny missing ceremony over $$
    ESPN.com news services

When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, and Bradshaw reportedly turned down the invitation over money.

Both denied the reports.

In a phone interview with "Quite Frankly" host Stephen A. Smith on Monday night, Montana vehemently denied forgoing the ceremony over money and reiterated that his absence was due to his preference to see his son's basketball game.

Montana told ESPN last week that he wasn't going to attend the Super Bowl because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend. Bradshaw, according to the Chronicle, told league officials he wanted to be with his family.

Montana said money was never an issue and that he would not have attended the Super Bowl ceremony even if the appearance fee had been greater than the $100,000 he was reported to have requested.

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.

Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money.

Leave a comment:

• VADER72
    replied
    My issue (and not with the user who said it) but this is wrong. " but to expect the same from them as you get from the guy on the street is not right. They aren't regular guys. Would you pay the big bucks to see regular guys play football?" They are all regular guys.

Yes I would. They are no better than any of us. Sorry, but many of us with the training like they get could do the same things NFL players do. It;s just many of us didn't get the oppurtinity like they have had. I Just don't like the guys that think they need to feed their families on 14 million a year to survive or can walk 20 yards to make a SB apperance without someone payin them 100 thousand dollars plus airfair and top of the line hotel rooms dollars to do so. That's what I don't respect.

What I find funny is that we say how poorly the NFL players get paids. They're only getting paid 8 million a year and they're carreeers are so short. LMAO. I would sacarifice my body to just make that in 10 years. Again, I can't feel sorry for them. Especially since they really dont work a full year.
    Last edited by VADER72; 02-06-2006, 09:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoRT
    replied
    Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
    This is just classless..I don't think it's been posted, but Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw declined to go to the NFL Superbowl MVP ceremony, because the NFL wouldn't meet their financial requests.

Montana supposedly wanted $100,000 to go, while the NFL was giving $1,000 to cover expenses.

Here's the article from espn.com http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2321024

Reports: Money differences leave QBs out

When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, turned down the invitation over money, Newsday and the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Montana, however, told ESPN2's Cold Pizza last week that he wasn't going to be at the game because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend.

Bradshaw, who told league officials that he wanted to be with his family, also took issue with the fees, the Chronicle reported. Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money.

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.

You have to look at the point of view of the players, especially retired players. The NFL is a money machine. The NFL makes more money than both MLB and the NBA. The NFL expoits these guys and makes tons of money off of them, but yet NFL players are the most underpaid athletes compared to MLB and the NBA.

Guys in the NBA like Keith Van Horn and Tim Thomas (journeyman) make I believe $12+ million a year. But yet stud RB's like Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander can't get $8 million a year and they are the best in the business. These guys have short careers, get physically beaten down and generate hundreds of millions of $$$ for the NFL. They deserve more money than the NBA and MLB.

Remember everybody talks about how much money the players are getting, it is nothing compared to the team owners and the league itelf.

Even in retirement they need to hit the NFL up for more money. Has anybody seen Earl Campbell lately? He was once the most feared man in the NFL and could run through a brick wall carrying two defenders on his back, but now he can barely walk outside of his house. Do you think the NFL is compensating him properly, I bet not.

Jerome Bettis can barely get out of bed the morning after games and he says that his body is destroyed from the beatings. He will probably be just like Campbell in a few years. These are just a few guys forever scared from the NFL, there are many more just like them.

If the NFL wants their stars past, present and future to be at the mecca of sporting events, which is going to rake in hundreds of millions of dollars in one day, they can pay the legends that made the game what it is today some $$$.

Leave a comment:

• Black00SS
    replied
    Originally posted by Elways1Fan
    more that likely it was a automated sig (a machine copies his sig)

Montana charging for autograph

Do a little research on google and youll see he charges, going rate now is upto 150$

Quote form article "One way to help ensure the signed collectibles you buy are authentic, is to purchase them from reputable companies who sign athletes under contract. Believe it or not, athletes sign items for money, often for large amounts. For instance, Joe Montana, who has signed for Memorabilia Lane, charges around $150.00 for his signature alone. "
    Nah, mine is in ballpoint pen (you can actually see the pen line on the back of the card).
    Every athlete signs memorabilia for money, its nothing new.

I sent single cards out, and recieved them back, signed, and they are not stamped.

Leave a comment:

• Breezer
    replied
    Originally posted by Elways1Fan
    Being an autograph collector for a while you learn that quick about Joe Montana. I quit collecting 5 years ago but at that time he was already chargin over $100 for any autograph seesions at special events, if you ever got a free on consider yourself lucky.

Now our boy John on the other hand, i got 3 from him, all FREE.

Joe was an overrated turd anyways

And imagine how many Super Bowls the 49ers would have won if they would have had Elway instead of Montana. They would have won 8 to 10 Super Bowls! Elway is king.

Leave a comment:

• Kapaibro
    replied
    Not worked up my friend. You siad I popsted like they get paid to to do nothing. Well, I I really need to show up to work 5 months a year, except working out and getting paid big bucks, I would think it was nothing. Sorry, but the average salary the commeon fan makes and a profesional player pakes and the hours. A little off balance and the hours, I laughwhen these guys get interviewed and they're in th weight room or office at 5am. Maybe they shouyld try that every week, just not 5 months out of the year or here and there in the off season while in Hawaii. That's my point.
    I get all of that, but the story is allegations. Why not just leave it at being disappointed?

We all have opinions about how overpaid professional athletes are(can you say Shaq?), but to expect the same from them as you get from the guy on the street is not right. They aren't regular guys. Would you pay the big bucks to see regular guys play football? No! They get paid to do something that others aren't able to do. NOw I personally think that anyone who has the nuts to walk into a burning building, or to educate children, or help sick people, or deal with criminals deserve a shedload of cash, but that's not how our society works.

Are they to blame for the way that society rewards people for entertainment more than actually making a distinctive social impact? No. So don't get worked up about their wages, get worked up about how little your nurses, teachers, police and firefighters are paid!

Leave a comment:

• VADER72
    replied
    Originally posted by Kapaibro
    I wasn't offended. You say you want them to have real jobs, and then you say they get their money handed to them. Make up your mind!

You make it sound like you think they get paid to do nothing. I admit they get paid a lot, but compared to English soccer players? Get off. And they all have to live with the thought that their career could be over at anytime.

If you really hate all players for taking advantage of their phsyical abilities, then why watch the game? You're just getting yourself worked up about something that is alleged! It might not even be true. Take it with a grain of salt, and take a step back. Try to see both sides of the story, and maybe you won't get so worked up.
    Not worked up my friend. You siad I popsted like they get paid to to do nothing. Well, I wish we only really needed to show up to work 5 months a year, except working out and getting paid big bucks. Sorry, but the average salary the common fan makes and a profesional player makes and the hours, are a little off balance and the hours, I laugh when these guys get interviewed and they're in the weight room or office at 5am and make it a big deal they work sssoo hard. Maybe they should try that every week, just not 5 months out of the year or here and there in the off season while in Hawaii. That's my point.
    Last edited by VADER72; 02-06-2006, 09:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    did you see how old Bart Star look (and is)....if he can make it Montana and Bradshaw can.

I remeber watching that looking forward to seeing John and TD and then I was like "Ok where's Montana". when he wasnt there i was alittle disapointed.

Leave a comment:

• Kapaibro
    replied
    if your take what I say offensive, you might need to chill. if you don't see what I'm saying, not my fault. Not a personal attack my friend.

And being with their families. O bullsheet. The SB has been planned for months. They knew this months before the game. These two guys are in in for the pay day. That's all. Elway has probably more than both combined. Money wasn't an option. Apparently that's all that matters to Montana. That's crap because he has millions. These guys have the rest of their lives to hang out and do what ever. The rest of us common folk will work until we are in out 60's or beyond. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for them financially when they had so much handed to them.
    I wasn't offended. You say you want them to have real jobs, and then you say they get their money handed to them. Make up your mind!

You make it sound like you think they get paid to do nothing. I admit they get paid a lot, but compared to English soccer players? Get off. And they all have to live with the thought that their career could be over at anytime.

If you really hate all players for taking advantage of their phsyical abilities, then why watch the game? You're just getting yourself worked up about something that is alleged! It might not even be true. Take it with a grain of salt, and take a step back. Try to see both sides of the story, and maybe you won't get so worked up.

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kapaibro
    Okay, chill. I said MAYBE!

And the article also said that both wanted to be with their families. Quite frankly I think it's nonsense saying that they're lying about that and that the money thing MUST be true, because no-one in their right mind ever wants to spend time with their family!

Also, could you be more hypocritical? You say they need to get real jobs, like real people, but you expect them not to want to be with their kids, like real people. Make up your mind.

Frankly this was a real honor to be announced as a Superbowl MVP. I don't know why anyone would miss something like this... Take your family with you and make it a vacation. Especially Bradshaw, Montana, and others that have made millions of dollars on Football. Not only as players, but endorsements, and other things.

Anyone that did not show up was slapping the very thing that made them famous and showing their ingratitude to the game that has made most of them millionaires.

That is the real tragedy here. Money aside!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X