Lions get Kitna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions get Kitna

Good luck, Jon. Hope that offensive line of theirs doesn't get you killed.
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Sadly, he will probably be an improvement over Garcia and Harrington.

He played well when he finally had talent during that stretch in '03, I think. 5 in a row or something?

But that line IS terrble.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
      Sadly, he will probably be an improvement over Garcia and Harrington.

He played well when he finally had talent during that stretch in '03, I think. 5 in a row or something?

But that line IS terrble.
      I personally think that Harrington would be a lot better if they fixed that line.

The big complaint that I have with Kitna is that he isn't very fast in making his checkdowns. He can be indecisive, and he can be forced to make bad throws. He's got good pocket presence, but throwing the ball on the run is a weakness. The Lions will need to give him an extra half second to get the ball into play. The other thing is that the Lions receivers are better with vertical routes, and that's not going to jive well with Kitna. The Lions would be well served to invest in a good TE in the upper rounds of the draft.
      HEAR ME ROAR!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
        I personally think that Harrington would be a lot better if they fixed that line.

The big complaint that I have with Kitna is that he isn't very fast in making his checkdowns. He can be indecisive, and he can be forced to make bad throws. He's got good pocket presence, but throwing the ball on the run is a weakness. The Lions will need to give him an extra half second to get the ball into play. The other thing is that the Lions receivers are better with vertical routes, and that's not going to jive well with Kitna. The Lions would be well served to invest in a good TE in the upper rounds of the draft.
        Interesting. Everything you say about Kitna, I think is true about Harrington as well.

But these are problems that are not necessarily fixed by a better line. Although, a better line buys you more time, if you are indecisive and slow on the checkdowns, the line can only do so much.

So, maybe they are hoping Kitna's experience will be either good to push Harrington, or will give him an edge over Harrington?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
        You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
          Interesting. Everything you say about Kitna, I think is true about Harrington as well.

But these are problems that are not necessarily fixed by a better line. Although, a better line buys you more time, if you are indecisive and slow on the checkdowns, the line can only do so much.

So, maybe they are hoping Kitna's experience will be either good to push Harrington, or will give him an edge over Harrington?
          It wouldn't be the first time that Kitna's played the mentor/motivator, if that's the case. However, Kitna only would have signed if he thought that they were going to make him a season opening starter.
          HEAR ME ROAR!
          sigpic

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time that Kitna's played the mentor/motivator, if that's the case. However, Kitna only would have signed if he thought that they were going to make him a season opening starter.
            I agree WhoDey. Kitna will be the starter on the Lions and I believe will do very well with Martz as his new offensive coordinator and those talented receivers will finally (besides R Williams) will finally show up.
            NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

My heart goes out to Lions fans.

The management still cannot grasp the concept that interior linemen dictate the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Medford Bronco
                I agree WhoDey. Kitna will be the starter on the Lions and I believe will do very well with Martz as his new offensive coordinator and those talented receivers will finally (besides R Williams) will finally show up.
                i would agree that if anyone can get production out of that personnel, it's mike martz. . . i also think that kitna has more poise and leadership ability than harrington. cross detroit off of the list of teams who could take cutler. . . they could possibly take vernon davis and grab an OL in the 2nd, but i think they might want to go defense in the 1st now. . . michael huff could be a real possibility if he's still on the board. . .
                Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by RoorRipper
                  My heart goes out to Lions fans.

The management still cannot grasp the concept that interior linemen dictate the game.
                  doesn't help 'em that damien woody has underperformed-- they paid him a fat chunk to solidify the interior of that line, and a fat chunk is exactly what he's been for them. . .

Comment

Good for Kitna, the guy is a class act.

Ive been watching Kitna since his days in Seattle, and for the most part I do agree with you. His in game reads are a little slow, and he just isent as physically gifted as you would like (compared to Carson Palmer anyway).

I think a coach like Martz can hide his weaknesses though.
                    You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

I think that getting Kitna as a back-up to Harrington shows that the front office is actually looking to work on Harrington. Here's a guy who is talented, but it also an excellent back-up. He doesn't have the head-swell that Garcia had going on, and I don't think he'll undermine the team.

Garcia was Mariucci's golden boy, and this was not helpful to a young QB who had to deal with a dodgey O-line as well.

If Detroit is serious about any of their QB's they need to work the O-line. The good thing about Martz is that this is the sort of thing he will insist on, and Matt Millen should have less say in the coaching!
                      President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
                      I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
                        I think that getting Kitna as a back-up to Harrington shows that the front office is actually looking to work on Harrington. Here's a guy who is talented, but it also an excellent back-up. He doesn't have the head-swell that Garcia had going on, and I don't think he'll undermine the team.

Garcia was Mariucci's golden boy, and this was not helpful to a young QB who had to deal with a dodgey O-line as well.

If Detroit is serious about any of their QB's they need to work the O-line. The good thing about Martz is that this is the sort of thing he will insist on, and Matt Millen should have less say in the coaching!
                        Problem: Harrington wants out of Detroit, and McCown is getting a look from the Lions.
                        As I pointed out earlier, there's no way Kitna would have taken this job if he didn't believe that he had a legitimate shot at being the starter. Kitna would have stayed in Cincinnati if they had told him he would be a backup.

Kind of adds a new wrinkle to the story, doesn't it?
                        HEAR ME ROAR!
                        sigpic

Comment

Kap where are ya?!!

did you hear? your boy is gonna be set free!! i'd tell you to call up your connections in dove valley. . . except that i want the scrub nowhere near the broncos!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                            Kap where are ya?!!

did you hear? your boy is gonna be set free!! i'd tell you to call up your connections in dove valley. . . except that i want the scrub nowhere near the broncos!

Dude, with a good offensive line, I wouldn't mind having Harrington. As a backup.

But he's going to want waaaay more money than any backup is entitled to. Harrington to the Jets, perhaps? They'll overpay. Or how about Dallas? Henson hasn't proved squat, and Bledsoe's getting rickety.
                            HEAR ME ROAR!
                            sigpic

Comment

Dude, with a good offensive line, I wouldn't mind having Harrington. As a backup.

But he's going to want waaaay more money than any backup is entitled to. Harrington to the Jets, perhaps? They'll overpay. Or how about Dallas? Henson hasn't proved squat, and Bledsoe's getting rickety.

man, where's kap? we're talkin' about her boy-- i can't believe her radar isn't going off. . .

Comment

Working...
                              X