• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear and Loathing in Dallas!

March 18, 2006, 6:57PM
    Cowboys fans nervous about Owens' signing

Associated Press

DALLAS — Loyal Dallas Cowboys fans squirmed in their seats Saturday at sports bars across the city, distressed by news their team had signed volatile receiver Terrell Owens.

The former Philadelphia Eagle was already unpopular with Dallas fans after a stunt he pulled in 2000 when he was playing for the San Francisco 49ers and celebrated on the Cowboys' star logo — before safety George Teague leveled him.

But most fans Saturday dismissed that affront to Texas pride, instead worrying for other reasons — namely the possibility that Owens' over-the-top antics and prima donna personality could shake up the team dynamic.

"The Cowboys have had so many problems, and now they're bringing in a head case," said Greg Hardy, 47. "He's going to infest his disease into the Cowboys, just like he did in Philadelphia."

The Eagles released Owens last year just months after he led them to the Super Bowl, fed up with the receiver's demands for a new contract and his bickering with quarterback Donovan McNabb. On Saturday, he signed a three-year, $25 million contract with the Cowboys.

Cowboys fans said the same type of personality conflicts could flare up in Dallas, specifically worrying about how the receiver would get along with quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

"The egos on those two guys are out of this world," said fan Will Younghouse, 22. But he added that Owens would have a harder time bossing around his Cowboys teammates than he did the archrival Eagles.

"I could see him getting whupped, instead of him whupping someone else," Younghouse said.

The job of keeping Owens in line will fall to no-nonsense coach Bill Parcells, and that made some fans feel slightly better about the deal.

"T.O.'s been too much for everyone to handle," Hardy said. But "if anyone can, Bill can."

"He'll kick him off the team before T.O.'s allowed to herd the team," Younghouse said.

And if Parcells does manage to rein in his receiver — and, more importantly, if Owens helps the team consistently win — some said they were willing to look past his behavior.

"The fact that fans are so fickle...with a superstar, you've got to bend the rules for him," Younghouse said.

Some said they might even be willing to embrace Owens' celebrating on the Cowboys star.

"As long as he's in a Cowboys uniform, if he does the celebration on the star, they'll love him for it," said Russell Davis, 33.

Ha! The ink is barely dry, and they're in a fluster!
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

The fans will cheer for him when he gets 10 catches for 150 yards and 2 td's in his first game.

Comment

Before this idiot writes an article maybe he should check his facts. The Eagles didn't released TO last year, they released him just several days ago.
      "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by RoorRipper
        The fans will cheer for him when he gets 10 catches for 150 yards and 2 td's in his first game.
        And bomb TO's house when he beats Parcells up in the locker room, calls Bledsoe some name, holds out, and then gets the Cowboy on a 2-14 season
        MMA News
        MMA News 247

Comment

And his contract has no incentives or limits!

Can you say 'DUMBARSE'

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

hey I thought Denver was gonna sign him....guess this will finally/maybe put an end to the TO threads...
            Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
              Before this idiot writes an article maybe he should check his facts. The Eagles didn't released TO last year, they released him just several days ago.
              That's your issue? Not, 'Hey, those Dallas fans may have a justified fear?'

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan
                hey I thought Denver was gonna sign him....guess this will finally/maybe put an end to the TO threads...
                I thought Kansas was in the running for him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
                  I thought Kansas was in the running for him as well.

Kansas....the Chiefs don't play in Kansas......who knows what they were doing bringing him in....they get rid of Keyshawn and get TO...

Wonder where KJ will end up at...
                  Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Kansas....the Chiefs don't play in Kansas......who knows what they were doing bringing him in....they get rid of Keyshawn and get TO...

Wonder where KJ will end up at...
                    Oops sorry I mean Kansas City

Man I love that smily.

Comment

Oops sorry I mean Kansas City

Man I love that smily.

okay kitty cat.....
                      Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

okay kitty cat.....

Comment

Hey! No hijacking of my threads!

Let's discuss how much the Dalas fans are quaking in their stylish cowboy boots!

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Any Way Jones Spins It, Owens Is Only Sure Winner in This Deal

March 18, 2006

The Dallas Morning News

IRVING, Texas - The backpedaling started about 2:45 p.m., about five minutes into a news conference that was greeted as outstanding news by some Cowboys fans, a sheer outrage by others.

Never has a great offensive player been introduced to a new team with such a defensive posture by his new owner.

These were some of the Jerry Jones highlights from Saturday's Terrell Owens news conference, which, once you heard everyone and got wind of the details, turned out to be a huge win for Owens, a possible win-possible loss for Dallas.

Jones: "This is no free lunch for the Cowboys." No kidding. Owens gets $10 million this season, another $8 million if the club wants him around in 2007, and $7 million more in 2008. This contract was more front-loaded than back-loaded, a huge windfall for a receiver suspended by his last team and mostly ignored by clubs around the league.

Jones: "This may really work for the Dallas Cowboys." Or not. It definitely works for Owens, though.

Jones: "This isn't buying bonds. This isn't an old maid's portfolio. This is risky."

Jones later suggested he meant only that every move is risky and that the signing of Owens was no different from any other.

But clearly it is. Owens' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said that seven teams pursued Owens, although it's believed some had minimal interest.

What is unclear is what teams the Cowboys were actually bidding against in providing Owens the opportunity to make more the next three years than Randy Moss will earn in Oakland.

Jones and Rosenhaus went out of their way to portray coach Bill Parcells as a major part of this negotiation. That was made necessary by the fact that the coach could not tear himself away from some important Grapefruit League action in Florida to attend the event.

Rosenhaus also called this "a match made in heaven," although some NFL executives would question the depth of the agent's knowledge of such a place.

But Owens is here, and he says he is a changed man. However, when he referred to past mistakes he would not use specifics and always was quick to mention that he's not the person that he's been portrayed to be and that there are two sides to every story.

Indeed, there are. But the real risk the Cowboys are taking here, more than the money Jones has invested, is in their possible delusions as to what they are buying.

They believe Owens will be the player that he always has been on the field and the person that he has never been away from it.

To say Owens was a divisive locker room presence in San Francisco and Philadelphia is almost to diminish this man's unique ability to place his self-interest ahead of the coach, quarterback and all others in an organization.

Jones believes - and here he may have a point - that the team getting Owens after his turbulent year cost him nine games in Philadelphia will get a new Owens.

Let's not go so far as to call him humbled. But more careful?

That's what Jones is banking on. The fact that so much of Jones' money is already headed for Owens' bank - he gets a $5 million signing bonus - suggests Owens doesn't really have to be on his best behavior to make this a winning move for him.

For sure, Owens is a greater talent than the man he replaces, Keyshawn Johnson, who could also be a royal pain. However, whatever complaints Johnson had about quarterback Drew Bledsoe, he kept to himself or he kept off the record. At least he did until he was released and started whining about never having had a great quarterback to support him.

Owens has very publicly ripped into Jeff Garcia in San Francisco and Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia.

And though he played better than anticipated last year, especially early, Bledsoe is no McNabb.

So we shall see how long the big, wide smile stays on Owens' face and how long he talks about his desire to embrace the Texas Stadium star.

"This is America's Team," Owens said. "I feel right at home. I'm a star among stars now."

If that were true, this move would make more sense. The fact is he's the best player on a team that not only is lacking star power but also is losing character players in La'Roi Glover, Dat Nguyen and Dan Campbell.

Character at Valley Ranch is being replaced by the ultimate NFL character.

As Owens correctly stated, "Get your popcorn ready. It's going to be a show."

I adopted Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by Kapaibro
                              Hey! No hijacking of my threads!

Let's discuss how much the Dalas fans are quaking in their stylish cowboy boots!
                              Ahhh 2 warnings in 3 minutes!

But I think Drew will do pretty good seeing that the first year McNabb had TO he had a record year.

Comment

Working...
                              X