• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winners and losers of the draft

Winners and losers of the draft
    By Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times
    May 1, 2006

Big winners and big losers from the 2006 NFL draft:

Big winner: Matt Leinart — He's heading to Arizona, which has an offense loaded with Pro Bowl-caliber players at running back and both receiver spots. He'll be learning behind Kurt Warner, one of the league's real good guys, and the Cardinals soon will have a state-of-the-art stadium.

Big loser: Leinart — OK, who are we kidding? It's the Cardinals. (And losing that $10 million really smarts.)

Big winner: Dennis Green — Two years ago, in his first draft as coach of the Cardinals, he passed on a chance to take Ben Roethlisberger with the third pick. Instead, Arizona drafted Larry Fitzgerald. He had to be ecstatic to have Leinart fall to No. 10.

Big loser: Norm Chow — Not only does the Tennessee offensive coordinator fail to land Leinart, but he could have to do some fence-mending with Vince Young. It had to rub the Texas quarterback the wrong way if and when he heard Leinart tell reporters that Chow, his former offensive coordinator, "was doing everything he could to get me."

Big winner: Sean Payton — New Orleans coach begins his career with a huge splash in landing Reggie Bush.

Big loser: Charley Casserly — It had to crush the Houston GM that his team passed on Bush, maybe the pick of a lifetime, because Texan owner Bob McNair took charge of contract negotiations. McNair has done a lot of great things for Houston; losing Bush was not one of them.

Big winner: Deuce Lutui — Yes, the former Trojan guard was sentenced to ... selected by Arizona, but he gets to stay at home, and he gets to play with Leinart.

Big winner: Jay Cutler — He wasn't chosen in the top 10, but Denver traded up to 11 to grab him. That's quite a compliment from Mike Shanahan, a guy who knows his quarterbacks.

Big loser: Jake Plummer — Let's see, he has the best season of his career, makes the Pro Bowl, and helps lead the Broncos to the AFC title game. Then, a few months later, he kicks back on the couch to watch the NFL draft ... and essentially gets handed his pink slip when Denver picks Cutler.

Big winner: Marcedes Lewis — With USC players raining down the draft board all around him, UCLA's Lewis lands just about where he thought he would, going 28th to Jacksonville. He should step right in and take over for Kyle Brady. It's a bonus that the Jaguars snapped up former Bruin running back Maurice Drew — he'll now go by Jones-Drew to honor his late grandfather — later in the day.

Big winner: North Carolina State — Three Wolfpack defensive linemen were chosen among the first 26 picks, including No. 1 selection Mario Williams.

Big loser: Matt Millen — Detroit's top man was unable to spend yet another first-round pick on a receiver.

Big winner: Joseph Addai — The Colts grabbed the Louisiana State back with the 30th pick. He should feel good about that, and not just because he'll be part of Peyton Manning's offense. Addai should feel good because he was tapped by GM Bill Polian, who has an eye for running-back talent, having drafted Thurman Thomas and Edgerrin James, among others.

Big loser: Vernon Davis — The Maryland tight end was the sixth overall selection, which is good for his wallet, but now he has Alex Smith — 11 interceptions, 11 fumbles, one touchdown — throwing to him.

Big winner: D'Brickashaw Ferguson — The Virginia tackle was taken fourth overall by his hometown New York Jets. And, in a stunning departure from tradition, Jet fans at the draft didn't boo the pick.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

link

I think the guy pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Although, I really don't like too much of San Diego did.

Drafting another QB? Does this mean Rivers is gone in two-three years?

Hahahaha.

On a serious note: I thought their first pick was questionable and strictly based on potential alone.

I feel there were two or three other picks they could have gone with.
    sigpic

Comment

ok.... my opinions on some of these...

Big loser: Leinart — OK, who are we kidding? It's the Cardinals. (And losing that $10 million really smarts.)

um, ok. the money may hurt, but I can honestly see (If they revamp their D and get some lineman) the cards as playoff threats in a few years. by then, leinart will be more polished, and with their solid recieving core and running threat, they could make a run for the superbowl.

Big loser: Charley Casserly — It had to crush the Houston GM that his team passed on Bush, maybe the pick of a lifetime, because Texan owner Bob McNair took charge of contract negotiations. McNair has done a lot of great things for Houston; losing Bush was not one of them.
      this had to be one of the stupidest things I have read. He did the smart thing in taking someone that will put some life into his defense.

Big loser: Jake Plummer — Let's see, he has the best season of his career, makes the Pro Bowl, and helps lead the Broncos to the AFC title game. Then, a few months later, he kicks back on the couch to watch the NFL draft ... and essentially gets handed his pink slip when Denver picks Cutler.

quoted for (semi)truth. It will be a few years before Jay starts, but It has to be a blow to jake's confidence.

Big loser: Vernon Davis — The Maryland tight end was the sixth overall selection, which is good for his wallet, but now he has Alex Smith — 11 interceptions, 11 fumbles, one touchdown — throwing to him.
      now this is just stupid. Alex smith was basically thrown to the wolves, having absolutely NO line to block for him. it is NOT his fault he's getting a helmet up the ass every other play.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan-13
        now this is just stupid. Alex smith was basically thrown to the wolves, having absolutely NO line to block for him. it is NOT his fault he's getting a helmet up the ass every other play.
        Yeah, but that kind of works in the same notion.

Alex Smith had people on his case all game long, true.

It's not going to help Vernon that SF's offensive line is terrible.

I think the basis of that concept was that Vernon was kind of a loser in this draft considering he went to such a bad and talentless team.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
          Yeah, but that kind of works in the same notion.

Alex Smith had people on his case all game long, true.

It's not going to help Vernon that SF's offensive line is terrible.

I think the basis of that concept was that Vernon was kind of a loser in this draft considering he went to such a bad and talentless team.

well, thats true, but no need for them to say its all alex's fault. Ive seen a couple of their games, and I feel for alex, and now, for vernon.

If you take what I have to say seriously, then I'm embarrassed for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws
            Winners and losers of the draft
            By Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times
            May 1, 2006

Big winners and big losers from the 2006 NFL draft:

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

link
            like Broncofan-13 said this is ridiculous statement.

when your receivers are below average, o-line questionable, a Qbs best friend is the tight end. with Eric Johnson siting out 2 of the last 3 years, this is a perfect fit.

the 49ers worst move wouldve been to pass on Vernon Davis. mentioned in the likes of Gates and Gonzales, perfect for a second year QB.

stupid LA Times
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncofan-13

Ok, someone said it before I could. Thanks.

Here is a good look at how Alex looks when he has some time and showcases his ability a little. Keep in mind this is a single drive and not a compilation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI3bW...h=alex%20smith

Then again when I look for good sports reporting and analysis I do not look to the Los Angeles Times.

Tracker - Bleeding Red and Gold till the day I die.

Comment

I was listening to sports talk radio the other day and some NFL insider was on and he said that if Matt Leinart had come out for the 2005 draft the 49er's still would have taken Alex Smith over Matt Leinart. That kind of surprised me when he said that, although who knows if that is true or not. The day before this years draft a sports commentator on TV here in Kansas City said the Chiefs would do anything on draft day to take DE Manny Lawson, but when it was all said and done we took DE Tamba Hali over Manny Lawson even though Lawson was still on the board.
                "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                X