Overrated Ravens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overrated Ravens

Ravens fans are busy looking into cheap flights to Miami for Super Bowl XLI when they should be purchasing Amtrak tickets to New York for next year's draft. The arrival of Steve McNair has Baltimore buzzing, but there are too many potential problems to even pencil the Ravens into the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl.

Here are five reasons Baltimore won't have a winning season:

1. Injuries: This is the only team on which the perennially banged-up McNair is healthier than his teammates. Stars Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed have all battled injuries, and there's no guarantee they'll return to 100 percent.

2. Age: McNair is 33. Ray Lewis, 31. Derrick Mason, 32. Jonathan Ogden will turn 32 this offseason, as will Mike Flynn. Trevor Pryce will turn 31 in August. Every one of those guys is on the downside of his career.

3. AFC North: The Super Bowl champion Steelers kept their nucleus in tact, the division-winning Bengals are young and hungry, and the recent news has been positive for QB Carson Palmer. And the Browns spent a ton in free agency, making them more competitive.

4. Road Woes: They haven't won away from home since Nov. 14, 2004, at the Jets. And they have some killer out-of-division trips planned for this year -- at Denver, at Kansas City, at Tampa Bay.

5. Team Dissension: The love-fest we've seen this week in Baltimore seems forced. Ray Lewis showed his true nature this offseason with bitter comments about everything wrong with the Ravens. And although coach Brian Billick seems happy now, wait until things get tough and owner Steve Bisciotti starts riding him again.

The Ravens will be home in January. Take it to the bank. Take it to the M&T Bank Stadium if you want. But that's just my opinion. I want to hear from you on how good the addition of McNair will make Baltimore this season.

by Andrew Perloff

From HERE
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Glad to see someone else that isn't jumping on their bandwagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
      Ravens fans are busy looking into cheap flights to Miami for Super Bowl XLI when they should be purchasing Amtrak tickets to New York for next year's draft. The arrival of Steve McNair has Baltimore buzzing, but there are too many potential problems to even pencil the Ravens into the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl.

Here are five reasons Baltimore won't have a winning season:

1. Injuries: This is the only team on which the perennially banged-up McNair is healthier than his teammates. Stars Jamal Lewis, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed have all battled injuries, and there's no guarantee they'll return to 100 percent.
      Injuries are a problem to any team, and with a good team i would ventrue to guess they have more motive to stay healthy if they have a chance at a SB.
      [quote]
      2. Age: McNair is 33. Ray Lewis, 31. Derrick Mason, 32. Jonathan Ogden will turn 32 this offseason, as will Mike Flynn. Trevor Pryce will turn 31 in August. Every one of those guys is on the downside of his career.
      Age affects many teams, there wont be a different story for any team in the NFL. Every team has players on thier downside of thier career so that doesnt mean much.

3. AFC North: The Super Bowl champion Steelers kept their nucleus in tact, the division-winning Bengals are young and hungry, and the recent news has been positive for QB Carson Palmer. And the Browns spent a ton in free agency, making them more competitive.
      The Ravens were a tough oppenent for any team last year, just with Boller even if they had a chance to win they couldnt. that problem is fixed now and McNair wont fall down with no body within 10 yards of him.

4. Road Woes: They haven't won away from home since Nov. 14, 2004, at the Jets. And they have some killer out-of-division trips planned for this year -- at Denver, at Kansas City, at Tampa Bay.
      Again thats on Boller's shoulder, its not like they didnt have chances to win, they just couldnt with Kyle.

5. Team Dissension: The love-fest we've seen this week in Baltimore seems forced. Ray Lewis showed his true nature this offseason with bitter comments about everything wrong with the Ravens. And although coach Brian Billick seems happy now, wait until things get tough and owner Steve Bisciotti starts riding him again.
      Lewis was mad becaue the Ravens were letting all good D-linemen, especially DT get away. With the arrival of Nagata, who reminds me of WIlfork who started his rookie year, i believe Nagata will to the same. He is a big strong man just there to take on 2 blockers and free up Lewis. If he does his job Lewis should be jsut fine like he was in 02.

The Ravens will be home in January. Take it to the bank. Take it to the M&T Bank Stadium if you want. But that's just my opinion. I want to hear from you on how good the addition of McNair will make Baltimore this season.

by Andrew Perloff

From HERE

McNair will make the Ravens soo much better. He can throw he can avoid sacks still. The Ravens are gonna be the team to watch out for next year, kinda like Cardinals will be and Cincy and Seattle were last year.

Good defense, good run game (hopefully Lewis can pull through), decent WR's, good TE, and still a good D.
      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

[QUOTE=GridironChamp]Injuries are a problem to any team, and with a good team i would ventrue to guess they have more motive to stay healthy if they have a chance at a SB.
        McNair will make the Ravens soo much better. He can throw he can avoid sacks still. The Ravens are gonna be the team to watch out for next year, kinda like Cardinals will be and Cincy and Seattle were last year.

Good defense, good run game (hopefully Lewis can pull through), decent WR's, good TE, and still a good D.
        Aging Defense, Aging Run Game, Poor Offensive Line, Poor Recievers, Good TE, Aging Defense.

Plus how long has the media been on the Cardinals backs? Oh yea ever since Dennis Green was hired. Heck the first year he was their coach they were being favorites to go to the Super Bowl? They didn't even get close to the playoffs. Then last year. OOOH the Ravens are going to dominate the entire NFL. They are an old team and the media loves jumping on the bandwagon. You all complain about how the Patriots were the team that everyone jumped the bandwagon to. Now it is the Steelers and the Ravens. Those are the two teams the media has latched onto.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
          Aging Defense, Aging Run Game, Poor Offensive Line, Poor Recievers, Good TE, Aging Defense.

Plus how long has the media been on the Cardinals backs? Oh yea ever since Dennis Green was hired. Heck the first year he was their coach they were being favorites to go to the Super Bowl? They didn't even get close to the playoffs. Then last year. OOOH the Ravens are going to dominate the entire NFL. They are an old team and the media loves jumping on the bandwagon. You all complain about how the Patriots were the team that everyone jumped the bandwagon to. Now it is the Steelers and the Ravens. Those are the two teams the media has latched onto.
          The media can latch on to whoever, but it doesnt change the fact that Baltimore and Arizona have the tools to be good teams this year. Despite your opinion and mine they have the tools
          Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

The ravens will be bad this year.
            sigpic

Comment

The crows kept alot of teams below 14 points last year, yet still lost....

....and I think with McNair at the helm, keeping them below 14 points will be more difficult.

He knows Mason.....and Mason knows McNair!
              Clayton is going to be more comfortable now, in his 2nd season.....

.....I think the crows will be better than the dawgs......and hot on the tail of Pitt.

And I DESPISE the crows...
              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

yes im back its been a while.

last year i thought the ravens would have a pretty solid d, with the pick ups at corner and such, their offense i thought would maybe make it to 10-15 overall, blaah, not that good. i had said last year that with a qb they would be pretty alright.

we all know how last turned out for them, and i took my crow for it. this year with a qb they will be much much improved, however after what i saw last year, i am going with a surprise season, but still no playoffs for them.

i like dallas miami and go on a limb for the raiders to be in the spotlight more this year, but everyone does(except for the raiders).
                So far:
                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

I personally dont think mcnair is a huge upgrade. Hes constantly injured, and that team is aging rapidly on both sides of the ball. While i think the D can still win some games for them, i also think they're D isnt as intense as it used to be. Eventually that team will have to find its offensive comfort zone, in which i dont think they've done yet. While mcnair will improve the offense, it wont send this team over the top. JMO.
                  "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

Mcnair is 33 with the body of a 43 year old. There Line is old, there recivers are average, the Running game is garbage, and there defense is aging and overrated. I look for them to have a top 10 pick this season.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMdVHruUfI

Travis Henry, single handedly taking the class out of our organization.

Bowlen, you gutless drunk!

Comment

The Ravens had one of the best defenses in the league last year even without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. If Jamal Lewis goes down they still have Mike Anderson who isn't too bad himself. Wishful thinking Browns fans but your team is going to be at the bottom of that division again.
                      "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                        Wishful thinking Browns fans but your team is going to be at the bottom of that division again.
                        Ding...ding...ding. We have a winner.
                        Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

I still think McNair's addition makes the Ravens a playoff contender. Problem is, there are at least 7 teams in the AFC better than them. But the defense is still a top-10 defense, they have a solid RB, and Derrick Mason is reuinited with McNair, so expect a big season from him. I expect no worse than 8-8, even 9-7, but 10-6 won't surprise me.

But the Superbowl? Yeah, in a rematch with us in the Championship Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Elway=Goat
                            Mcnair is 33 with the body of a 43 year old. There Line is old, there recivers are average, the Running game is garbage, and there defense is aging and overrated. I look for them to have a top 10 pick this season.
                            There defense is aging?

DLE Trevor Pryce: 31 years old
                            DLT Kelly Gregg: 30 years old
                            DRT Haloti Ngata: 22 years old
                            DRE Terrell Suggs: 24 years old
                            SLB Adalius Thomas: 29 years old
                            MLB Ray Lewis: 31 years old
                            WLB Bart Scott: 26 years old
                            LCB Chris McAlister: 29 years old
                            RCB Samari Rolle: 30 years old
                            SS Ed Reed: 28 years old
                            FS B.J. Ward: 25 years old

Average age of defense: 27.7 years old

Now I would really like to know how that is considered an old defense. Overrated? Not quite.
                            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by CB Bronco Fan
                              The ravens will be bad this year.
                              They will be bad but still better than last year. McNair from Kyle Boller is a great improvement.

Gosh, Boller couldn't hit the ground if he was sky diving.
                              MMA News
                              MMA News 247

Comment

Working...
                              X