Favre sees 'most talented' Packers team of his tenure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favre sees 'most talented' Packers team of his tenure

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre hadn't yet been outside for practice, so you can't blame the following statement on the heat:

"I really feel like this is, as far as talent is concerned, the most talented team that I've been a part of as a whole," Favre said Monday morning.

Say what?

Although it might seem like a far-fetched thing to say about a Green Bay Packers team coming off a 4-12 season -- particularly coming from a guy who spent the offseason wondering whether his team would be good enough to make putting off retirement worthwhile -- Favre is gushing about the wealth of ability he sees on the practice field.

This year's team is even more talented, Favre insists, than the Packers' Super Bowl teams of the mid-1990s.

"If we can somehow put it together, there's a lot of talent out there," Favre said.

Favre said the Packers' dominant teams of the 1990s actually weren't incredibly talented, "but we were very experienced."

There lies the major caveat to Favre's suddenly simmering optimism. He says this is also the most inexperienced team he has played on, and potential doesn't mean much when the pads go on.

But if the Packers' young players, especially on the offensive line and at wide receiver, can play at a high level right away, Favre said it's realistic to expect a major turnaround.

"It can be done," Favre said. "I don't know what to expect, but if the guys play to their level or higher, anything can happen."

That's a different tone than Favre struck for much of the offseason as he waffled about his football future.

Before deciding to return, Favre wondered whether it would be worth risking another possible 4-12 season and questioned the Packers' lack of activity in the free-agent market.

The Packers' biggest offseason additions came on defense, but Favre returned anyway.

Now, Favre said the only time he second-guesses his decision to return is when he feels the wear and tear from previous seasons.

"This morning, I'm like, 'What am I doing?' " Favre said. "It feels like I've got glass in my shoes. But I know from experience, even though every time we practice and every time we play and every season it may get a little worse, once I get on the field, it seems to kind of go away."
    Glen Haven Fire

continued:

Favre seems far less optimistic about the state of his own body than he is about the state of his team.

"Honestly? My arm feels great. The rest of my body feels like I've been playing for 16 years," Favre said. "I probably walk around and run around like an old man. My ankles and my feet and hips all bother me. I can still play. It may take awhile in the morning to walk normal -- if I ever do walk normal -- but that's part of it. I can overcome that."

Favre already has sat out a practice session because of his sore ankle, and he plans to scale back his participation in practices this year to try to conserve his body.

"I don't anticipate feeling better," Favre said. "But by taking maybe mornings off and being careful to a certain extent, it will prolong my playing. I don't think it's anything that tomorrow I say, 'I just can't make it. I can't do it anymore.' It's just something you have to play with."

Just like playing with a new cast of teammates.

"New guys come in, you really can't worry about that," Favre said. "You worry about what you're doing, and I think that's one of the reasons that I'm still here."

Although he acknowledges the interior offensive line, including two rookie guards, is raw, he said the team has plenty of experience and depth at running back and tight end.

"If we had everyone healthy last year, it would have been a different story," Favre said. "How different? I don't know. I would think much different. This year, to me, the question mark is offense. If we stay healthy and our young guys play to par, I don't see any reason why we won't be much better than we were last year."

Favre also singled out rookie receiver Greg Jennings for praise.

"Sometimes size and speed play such a big part in decisions of an NFL team and you overlook the most important thing, intangibles," Favre said. "Can he get open? Can he catch? Can he catch in traffic? And some of those things remain to be seen, but I feel like he's kind of a natural at what he does."

Favre knows outsiders aren't nearly as optimistic about the Packers.

"I really believe that we're going to be better than people think we will," Favre said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2536010
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

guess he knows something the rest of us dont....i still see them coming in last this year
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Farve is on the pain meds again.

That team is crap.

They'll go 0-16

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
          Farve is on the pain meds again.

That team is crap.

They'll go 0-16
          no this team will go 2-16 the 49ers are the ones that'll go 0-16
          the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

As much as I respect Future HOFer Farve. He was like Elway until last year
            His 1995-1997 teams had Way more talent than now.

He must be saying this to convice himself he did not make the wrong decision on coming back. I will be nice and say 7-9 for the Pack.

SF is 2-14 material and Tenn is not that far behind
            NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

I don't think this team is as bad as everybody thinks. I think they are good enough to win 8 games, especially in a weak division. Still, that is a rediculous comment to say they are the most talented team he has been on.
              "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

all i can say is. . . . . .

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

he's clearly trying to convince the guys on the team, because there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that anyone else believes him. . . . . sure, guys like reggie white and leroi butler weren't really all that talented. . . . . .
                Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                  I don't think this team is as bad as everybody thinks. I think they are good enough to win 8 games, especially in a weak division. Still, that is a rediculous comment to say they are the most talented team he has been on.
                  Agreed. The got an instant solidifier with AJ Hawk. Brady Poppinga showed some nice potential in his injury-shortened rookie year. Marquend Manuel, former 'Hawk safety, was a solid pickup. He'll start next to Nick Collins (Sean Taylor-lite). They had a half decent D-line last year, and adding a good run stuffer like Ryan Pickett will only help.

And, as much as I HATE Brett Favre, he's still a solid QB. They've got 3 starting caliber backs, and Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, and Greg Jennings are a more than servicable trio of wideouts.

They do have talent, but I'm not sure about "best talent ever."

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                    i agree and only they can get jerry porter, whoa, watch out...too many people here underestimating favre and the pack, they will be good.
                    sigpic

Comment

Besides the fact that he's probably just being a team guy, remember that the NFC North is probably the weakest division in football (what a difference a few years make..... huh?).

Anyways, considering that Chicago is the only team in the division with the same coaching staff as last season, in addition to the fact that Detroit and Minn are starting different QB than last and that Chicago's QB is injury prone, anything can happen in this division, including a division title for GB.

If they can avoid the devastating injuries they had to deal with last season, this team could be talented enough to win their division.

IMO...
                      sigpic

Comment

Being "talented" and being a football player are two different things.

Farve just wants to get his players and team fired up......veterans do that....good veterans and team players do that.

Don't read too much into it.

Comment

....in other news, it was also reported that Favre was recommending buying up land in the Yukon "...especially the awesome beachfront properties"

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                          You should check these guys out

Comment

He also though he could run into Michael Strahan purposely and call it a sack.

Comment

This guy is going to experience nothing but pain all year long. He will realize by week 4 that he made a huge mistake. This team has nothing. No line, no receivers, no experience worth a crap on D. There is a reason that they were the worst team in the worst division last year. Its because they just suck. They would have been better off letting Rodgers get his feet wet this year. And Brett Favre doesnt look like he could even run to the end of his driveway without losing his breath. He looks like he's in terrible shape.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

Working...
                              X