Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okland WR Porter given OK to seek trade..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okland WR Porter given OK to seek trade..

Davis says Porter can seek trade
    By Steve Corkran
    CONTRA COSTA TIMES

NAPA - Disgruntled wide receiver Jerry Porter "has lost his way" and is free to leave, Raiders managing general partner Al Davis said in a lengthy news conference Tuesday afternoon.

That revelation punctuated an hour-long question-and-answer session in which Davis focused his thoughts on former Raiders coach John Madden in anticipation of Madden's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

Porter demanded a trade, though he has four years left on the five-year extension he signed before last season. No problem, the Raiders said.

That is, as long as Porter pays back the $4 million bonus he received for this season, and his agent, Joel Segal, is able to find a team willing to give the Raiders suitable compensation, be it in the form of draft picks or established players, Davis said.

"He has lost his way a little bit," Davis said of Porter, "but he is a good guy."

Porter has refused most interview requests and did not speak Tuesday. He strained a calf the first day of practice July 25 and has seen limited action on the days he participates in full-team drills.

Senior personnel executive Michael Lombardi said Tuesday that no teams have contacted the Raiders about trading for Porter. Segal did not return several phone calls.

The Raiders selected Porter in the second round of the 2000 NFL draft out of West Virginia. He was viewed as the heir apparent to former Raiders receiver Tim Brown. However, he has yet to develop into a No. 1 receiver in terms of production and consistency.

"If someone offers us the (draft) choice we want or a representative player and the $4 million bonus he took from us this year, we'll respond," Davis said. "They got to get it done. (Porter's) agent has known this since the draft (in April). Before the draft, he knew what he had to do. He couldn't get it done."

Porter told ESPN in early July that he wanted the Raiders to hire former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz as the successor to Norv Turner. In the process, he criticized new offensive coordinator Tom Walsh for his being out of the NFL for 11 years.

Davis said he doesn't view Porter's displeasure with Shell and Walsh as a distraction.

Davis also touched upon a number of other topics.

$4 million bonus he took from us this year
    um okay

got to love al's wackiness. I dont see anyone desperate enough to bite on this

I know the falcons are desperate but not when porter is half injured and have to pay $4 mil
    Glen Haven Fire

Comment

I bet he goes with his buddy charles woodson..
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation
        um okay

got to love al's wackiness. I dont see anyone desperate enough to bite on this

I know the falcons are desperate but not when porter is half injured and have to pay $4 mil

The only reason that his calf hurts is because his ego hurts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fins4Life
          The only reason that his calf hurts is because his ego hurts as well.
          agree, he ain't injured for crap....
          sigpic

Comment

He is trying to be just like TO...remember when he did this to the Eagles? I think he said it was his calf too.

Comment

Lelie to Oakland for Porter....???????

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle

hell no and no bag of chips...thanks
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Do you REALLY think Al Davis and Pat Bowlen would do this?..........Most here know better than that.

Comment

I bet he goes to Detroit for a 3rd/maybe 2nd round pick.
                    Go Huskers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick7
                      I bet he goes to Detroit for a 3rd/maybe 2nd round pick.
                      Between Porter and Lelie, I'd say that Porter's the more likely option in Atlanta.

Lelie's desire is to be a #1 receiver, and there's no way that happens in Atlanta walking through the door.
                      HEAR ME ROAR!
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
                        Between Porter and Lelie, I'd say that Porter's the more likely option in Atlanta.

Lelie's desire is to be a #1 receiver, and there's no way that happens in Atlanta walking through the door.
                        i still say one of these WR are gonna be the packers #1
                        sigpic

Comment

my thoughts exactly

I agree totally. We can trade one un-happy receiver for another.

Comment

Better than nothing for Lelie...

Comment

Working...
                            X