• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Linebackers Shine

Young linebackers shine
    By Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer
    August 11, 2006

PHILADELPHIA-While Browns veteran linebacker Willie McGinest did not play Thursday in the team's 20-7 preseason loss to the Eagles in Philadelphia, several of the team's young backers stepped up and performed well in his absence.

Second-year backer David McMillan, who started at right outside linebacker (veteran Matt Stewart moved from the right to start in McGinest's place at left outside linebacker), sacked Eagles quarterback Jeff Garcia on each of the Eagles' first two plays of the second quarter. Two plays later McMillan made a tackle on a run play, giving him three tackles in four plays.

Meanwhile, Browns' first-round pick and collegiate defensive end at Florida State Kamerion Wimbley had a big game in his debut as a linebacker. He managed 5 tackles in limited playing time.

"It felt pretty good out there getting a little sweat going," Wimbley said. "I was just getting into it when I had to come out, but it was a good experience for the first time."

With game experience like this, Wimbley would seem to be one step closer to gaining full comfort at his new position. He said he's already feeling a fit in his new role.

"I think I'll be able to play instinctually real soon," he said. "I felt pretty good out there standing up there in a two-point (stance) in this game. It gave us the opportunity to see some things from a different team and go against different players."

One thing the game wasn't good for was displaying Wimbley's exceptional pass rushing ability. Due to the risk of injuries, and even more so due to a team's desire to not show off too much of its defensive scheme, full-on blitzing isn't common in the preseason.

When the team does turn Wimbley loose, it will open up a whole new aspect to his game.

"We came in here with a limited package," Wimbley said. "You don't want to expose everything you're going to do in the regular season, but for what we did do, we did a decent job. We have to go back and correct some things but we'll just go back to camp, work harder and get ready to play better."

As expected, rookie and second-round pick D'Qwell Jackson started in place of Chaun Thompson at the Will linebacker spot. Thompson has been nursing a calf injury suffered last Friday at Browns Stadium during Family Night.

Jackson was credited with 1 tackle.

"We've been practicing for a while and it felt good to take it to the field and apply what I've learned form practice and the classroom," he said. "I felt comfortable. I was well prepared. I knew everything was going on. I studied like crazy.

"I'm not out there thinking as much. The game is starting to slow down for me mentally. I'm just reacting. If I can continue to make that progress, I think I'll be able to make more plays."

While McMillan, Wimbley and Jackson all had strong games, it was backup middle linebacker Mason Unck who led the team with 8 tackles.

LINKY
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

I agree with this article. The first and second team linebackers were impressive as did the first and second team defense as a whole. Wimbley was providing near constant pressure in the pocket and McMillan was rather impressive as well. The offense left a little to be desired - but they only played two series and this was their first preseason game. But the defense sure did impress me in this game and I have faith that with McGinest playing they will be even more impressive.

Comment

Yea...McMillan's a pretty big dude. He looks like a good fit for the 3-4.

Where is Wimbley playing BTW? Which LB position?

You got McMillan, Wimbley, Jackson, Andra Davis, Willie. Solid.

How has Leon Williams looked so far?

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
        Yea...McMillan's a pretty big dude. He looks like a good fit for the 3-4.

Where is Wimbley playing BTW? Which LB position?

You got McMillan, Wimbley, Jackson, Andra Davis, Willie. Solid.

How has Leon Williams looked so far?
        Wimbley is the Right Outside Linebacker - challenging Matt Stewart for the job. Wimbley should win.

I remember seeing Williams play in the game - but don't recall if he did anything in it.

Comment

I've always liked Andra Davis. He's never really gotten the credit he deserves, IMO.

I'd like to see Wimbley be a pro-bowler someday, too.
          Go Huskers.

Comment

Working...
          X