Chargers could be our toughest opponent this year in the AFC west

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers could be our toughest opponent this year in the AFC west

Living up near Green Bay I got to see the Packers Vs. Chargers last night and sadly it doesn't look like there is going to be much drop off from Brees to Rivers.

Rivers looked bad when he got flushed from the pocket, but since Green Bay only got him out once it isn't that big a deal. Our line is really going to have to bring pressure to throw him off his game. The Chargers O-line was giving him all day to sit there and pass. I'm not saying the sky is falling just pointing out what we would need to do.

Their other usual problems from last year are still there. They are lacking in the reciever department, and their secondary is suspect. Cromartie seemed to be making a lot more mistakes than you would want from your first round draft pick, but he did only start one game in college.

So after watching the Chargers in one pre-season game I am willing to say, that they still looked good but if we can pressure their QB we can certainly beat them.

My first reaction is to say, "don't put too much stock in the pre-season."

My second reaction, however, is to agree with you. Oakland is a joke and KC is has too much age and too many holes so, even if by default, the Chargers are our biggest competition this year in the AFC West. They were very good last year and will probably be even better this year - they have two great weapons on offense and a tough D. Their only problem is they tend to play down to their opponents and lose games they shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Fan in exile
      Living up near Green Bay I got to see the Packers Vs. Chargers last night and sadly it doesn't look like there is going to be much drop off from Brees to Rivers.

Rivers looked bad when he got flushed from the pocket, but since Green Bay only got him out once it isn't that big a deal. Our line is really going to have to bring pressure to throw him off his game. The Chargers O-line was giving him all day to sit there and pass. I'm not saying the sky is falling just pointing out what we would need to do.
      Our o-line should be better this season than last season. And, Philip Rivers has a quick release, which helps in those situations when the line collapses. One time during the game, a Greenbay defender came and grabbed Rivers shoulder, but Rivers got it off before he could do anything more.

Originally posted by Fan in exile
      Their other usual problems from last year are still there. They are lacking in the reciever department, and their secondary is suspect. Cromartie seemed to be making a lot more mistakes than you would want from your first round draft pick, but he did only start one game in college.
      Did you see Vincent Jackson? He's a beast. 6'5 and quick. He was tossing the Packers corners and safeties around like they were children. Two plays in a row he caught a pass from Rivers in the endzone. Also, don't forget we still have Antonio Gates, and LT will probably see more pass receptions this season than last season, since we can use Turner as a rb more often. And Cromartie will take some time to develop, but he did show some glimmers of what he's capable of. He intercepted a pass in the endzone by Aaron Rogers. He is by far our best corner physically. It will just take time for him to adjust to the NFL. The Chargers will probably use him in special teams more than as a corner this season.

So after watching the Chargers in one pre-season game I am willing to say, that they still looked good but if we can pressure their QB we can certainly beat them.
      Are you forgetting that we still have LT? Anytime Rivers gets pressured he can just dump it off to LT for some guaranteed yards. And, now that we have a QB who is a deep threat, teams won't pack 8 men in the box like they did with Drew Brees. That will give LT more running room.
      Last edited by LightningBolt; 08-13-2006, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco

My second reaction, however, is to agree with you. Oakland is a joke and KC is has too much age and too many holes so, even if by default, the Chargers are our biggest competition this year in the AFC West. They were very good last year and will probably be even better this year - they have two great weapons on offense and a tough D. Their only problem is they tend to play down to their opponents and lose games they shouldn't.
        I wouldnt count oakland or kc out just yet. Rivers has played 1 preseason game....against a very poor looking green bay team. We'll see how good he really is when its time to get serious. I enjoy having other fans overlook us though....just makes it that much better when we win.
        "Chillez was right Brock is best champ in the UFC, I Jump on Mir bandwagon and he got crushed."

Chillez won the sig bet. Congrats. Up next for brock? Fedor... stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
          Pre-season helps to get the jitters out of new QB's. The best thing he can gain out of it is more confidence. And, we have an easy schedule to start off the year so by the time it's mid-season, Rivers should have gotten all his nervousness out of him.

My second reaction, however, is to agree with you. Oakland is a joke and KC is has too much age and too many holes so, even if by default, the Chargers are our biggest competition this year in the AFC West.
          KC's biggest weapon is their running game, and that will suffer now that Willie Rove is gone.

They were very good last year and will probably be even better this year - they have two great weapons on offense and a tough D. Their only problem is they tend to play down to their opponents and lose games they shouldn't.
          I think a large part of that had to do with not having a vocal QB. Drew Brees was as silent leader. Whenever the Chargers would have a bad drive, he would just walk back quietly and stand on the sidelines with a blank look on his face. Philip Rivers will motivate the team more, and encourage players who aren't doing so well. He's more like Peyton Manning while Drew Brees is more like Trent Green.
          Last edited by LightningBolt; 08-13-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's to much of "the Chargers are good", but rather "the Packers are just really really bad."

Comment

I think the Chiefs are going to be weaker than most people think, and I think the Chargers are going to be good because they have LT + Gates on offense, and they still have that good run defense. I still dont think either one of those teams will make the playoffs however.

Comment

Rivers had 1 good pre-season game against a horrible defense. That doesn't mean he will be as good as Drew Brees.

I still think KC will be our biggest problem with Ty Law now there.

Comment

1)Their offense looked very good, without the best RB in the game.

2)Their pass rush was amazing. Can we steal their pass rush? Please?

3)San Diego will be one of our toughest opponents in the NFL, not just the AFCWest.

I still think we match up very well with them, and we'll be fine, but dam, Maybe it's Denver's time to switch to the 3-4, if that's what kind of pass rush it generates.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandxxRaider
                    I wouldnt count oakland or kc out just yet. Rivers has played 1 preseason game....against a very poor looking green bay team. We'll see how good he really is when its time to get serious. I enjoy having other fans overlook us though....just makes it that much better when we win.
                    the raiders will get second place in the division....my opinion
                    sigpic

Comment

Denver is our nemisis.

The AFC West crown goes through you guys.

I do think Rivers is going to shock alot of people this year. Our offense will be even more dangerous with him (might take a while). The guy can make throws that Drew was just unable to make with any accuracy whatsoever.

It should be a fun season but man, SD has got to figure out a way to beat you guys.

2007 AFC West Champions

Comment

your team is a very solid team with some amazing players, but as far as I know you didnt get any better, and although Rivers might be better than Brees in the future, he will be a step down this year, just like Cutler will, so we can assassinate Plummer next year

nah, but I got to give my props to John Lynch for causing Brees to kill his arm and set the Lightning Bolts back a year
                        I adopted Matt Lepsis!

Comment

Green Bay looked pitiful and that is because they have an aging QB, and basically no run game. One good receiver. They will lose a lot of games unless they can start protecting Farve.

Most of the NFL teams could get to Farve with that kind of protection. Farve was basically running for his life the entire game.

Here is another fact to consider, that HISTORY will bear out.

As long as the Chargers have Marty Schottenheimer as a head coach we really don't have to worry. Marty Schottenheimer always figures out a way to lose the game that he needs most. This is not a bash, it is just History.

In my opinion until Marty can overcome this tendency and prove himself, the Chargers will always be second best.

Marty watch out there is a young gun in town and his name is Jay Cutler. You may not have to worry about him this year but next year and many years to come you will see him in your dreams, just like you did John Elway.
                          Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Originally posted by Critter
                            Denver is our nemisis.

The AFC West crown goes through you guys.

I do think Rivers is going to shock alot of people this year. Our offense will be even more dangerous with him (might take a while). The guy can make throws that Drew was just unable to make with any accuracy whatsoever.

It should be a fun season but man, SD has got to figure out a way to beat you guys.
                            First off, welcome to the boards... hope you stick around a bit and make some good posts.

I think you're right that Rivers will do ok this year, but the overall mental readiness will be a struggle for a while until he's used to PLAYING in the NFL. He's got the benefit of knowing the system pretty well, but there's other lessons for him out on the field.

It'll be the same for Cutler in 1-2 seasons. I imagine that's going to be a heated rivalry for some time to come.

Honestly though, for this season, you should be extremely happy if we don't sweep you again.
                            Originally posted by ClaptonFloyd

nah, but I got to give my props to John Lynch for causing Brees to kill his arm and set the Lightning Bolts back a year
                            I hope you're not serious. Hitting someone hard and dazing them, and even knocking them out of a game is something that Defensive players enjoy doing. John Lynch would not accept your 'props' for causing an injury that could possibly ruin the rest of Brees' career. That was a classless post.

Comment

Well for the Chargers sake, I would hope Rivers is doing well. If he were to be subpar or average you would have to wonder about their coaching staff. He's been there for 3 years now so he should be able to pick up where Brees left. What i'm not concerned about is the rest of their Offense. Other than LT and Gates, what do they have on offense? Nothing special is what I see. AFC West Champs 2 years in a row for us!!

Comment

Working...
                              X