Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packers lose Underwood to multiple ligament tears

ESPN link

Strong safety Marviel Underwood will miss the entire season after tests confirmed that the Green Bay Packers' second-year veteran suffered torn ligaments in his right knee during Saturday evening's preseason opener against the San Diego Chargers.

Underwood will require surgery to repair tears to the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. There may also be some ancillary cartilage damage. Surgery has not yet been scheduled.

The Packers will place Underwood, 24, on injured reserve and the former San Diego State standout, who was a fourth-round choice in the 2005 draft, will not return until 2007.

A key member of the Green Bay kicking game, Underwood led the Packers in special teams tackles as a rookie, with 23. By the end of his debut season, he had worked his way up the depth chart and was playing regularly in "dime" situations.

Underwood registered 14 tackles and one forced one fumble while playing from scrimmage.

A safety who possesses some cornerback-type skills, Underwood is a physical defender who figured prominently in the Packers' plans for the future, and who likely would have seen his playing time increase in 2006. In camp, he recently was working with the No. 1 unit at strong safety, as projected starter Marquand Manuel, signed as a free agent in the spring, continues to recover from an injury.

Underwood appeared in all 16 games in 2005.

Big loss from a dumb game!
    President of the GPA, Head of Mainland Europe Chapter

formerly Officially Adopted by saltybuggah
    I adopted Skywalker

I have been adopted by Chris Wade

Ouch. I had a feeling it was bad, but not that bad. I can't wait until they shorten the preseason.

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG
      Ouch. I had a feeling it was bad, but not that bad. I can't wait until they shorten the preseason.
      yes indeed, these 4 games r garbage, should be 2
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X