X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Wilkinson signs with the Fins

Dan Wilkinson Signs
    August 14, 2006
    [Sun-Sentinel] In an effort to shore up their depth inside, the Dolphins signed veteran defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson on Monday.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Wilkinson, 33, was released by the Lions in June reportedly because of philosophical differences with the defensive system being installed by new coach Rod Marinelli. Shortly after, Wilkinson visited the Dolphins, and coach Nick Saban said he was interested in acquiring him.

Wilkinson attended practice Monday morning but didn't participate. At 6-foot-4, 335 pounds, he is expected to provide backup assistance to starting nose tackle Keith Traylor, who turns 37 next month and has dealt with chronic knee pain over the last few years.

The Dolphins were anticipating that second-year defensive tackle Manny Wright was ready to backup Traylor. However, he left the team last week citing depression, and the Dolphins have since placed him on the exempt/left squad list.

Originally posted by Fins4Life
    Dan Wilkinson Signs
    August 14, 2006
    [Sun-Sentinel] In an effort to shore up their depth inside, the Dolphins signed veteran defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson on Monday.

Wilkinson, 33, was released by the Lions in June reportedly because of philosophical differences with the defensive system being installed by new coach Rod Marinelli. Shortly after, Wilkinson visited the Dolphins, and coach Nick Saban said he was interested in acquiring him.

Wilkinson attended practice Monday morning but didn't participate. At 6-foot-4, 335 pounds, he is expected to provide backup assistance to starting nose tackle Keith Traylor, who turns 37 next month and has dealt with chronic knee pain over the last few years.

The Dolphins were anticipating that second-year defensive tackle Manny Wright was ready to backup Traylor. However, he left the team last week citing depression, and the Dolphins have since placed him on the exempt/left squad list.
    The phins have some age problems there, i would look for DT next year in the draft.
    sigpic

Comment

Dan Wilkinson Signs
      August 14, 2006

This seems like a good move, adding some authority and vet presence on the line.

I agree with Dawgfanatic that a new DT should be drafted next year. Nick Saban is trying to build a younger dolphin team right? So these kind of moves won't last long IMO.

Not sure who the quality DTs are next year in the draft, but the dolphins should definately make a move for one.
      sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
      Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
        This seems like a good move, adding some authority and vet presence on the line.

I agree with Dawgfanatic that a new DT should be drafted next year. Nick Saban is trying to build a younger dolphin team right? So these kind of moves won't last long IMO.

Not sure who the quality DTs are next year in the draft, but the dolphins should definately make a move for one.
        Saban has drafted I think 4 DTs over the last two drafts. :coffee

Comment

Good point fins, Im sure that Traylor and Wilkinson wont last there more than a year or two anyways, just to get those kids feet wet. I actually hoped that Denver might take a look at him if he was willing to sign for the veteran's minimum.

I really dont like our tackle situation.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

Originally posted by Straz1999
            Good point fins, Im sure that Traylor and Wilkinson wont last there more than a year or two anyways, just to get those kids feet wet. I actually hoped that Denver might take a look at him if he was willing to sign for the veteran's minimum.

The Fins D Line had the most sacks out of any unit last year, however age is becoming more of a concern. When the starters played briefly against the Jags they were stuffing everything. The main reason we had to sign this guy was because of Manny Wright wanting to quit. The team expected him to spell Traylor. Last year I think Traylor played about 20 snaps a game. This year will be about the same. I think this is a great 1 or two years at the most pick up. We also have Vickerson and Fred Evans who had his first sack in his first game.

Comment

You know them better than I do. But none of them are starting apparently (although the depressed one is on the fritz, so I don't blame him).

I mean drafting a high quality defensive tackle, like a first rounder like Haoli Ngata.

If the other DTs can be good, even better. As long as you win the division, beat the Patriots and lose to the Broncos, I don't care what you all do. Good luck with them.
              sigpic

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Comment

Originally posted by Straz1999

There's still Brentson Buckner, who isn't bad in the least and would add an old veteran presence that we lack. A bunch of busts that have no idea what is what. Buckner would be a good addition and Wilkinson would have been a good one too.
                sigpic

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Comment

There's still Brentson Buckner, who isn't bad in the least and would add an old veteran presence that we lack. A bunch of busts that have no idea what is what. Buckner would be a good addition and Wilkinson would have been a good one too.

Whats Buckners deal anyways? Is he hurt? If he isnt I assume he wants more then the vet min.

Comment

Whats Buckners deal anyways? Is he hurt? If he isnt I assume he wants more then the vet min.

He doesn't want more than Vet minimum from what I here. Or not a lot more atleast.

I was watching a segment of Cold Pizza on ESPN where they had Brentson on and he said he would go to a team if they gave him a call. Nobody called him yet though. If he doesn't get a team by the start of the season, he said he would retire.
                    sigpic

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

Comment

He doesn't want more than Vet minimum from what I here. Or not a lot more atleast.

I was watching a segment of Cold Pizza on ESPN where they had Brentson on and he said he would go to a team if they gave him a call. Nobody called him yet though. If he doesn't get a team by the start of the season, he said he would retire.

Did this guy fall of the map while I was obsessing about the Dolphins

Comment

Working...
                      X