Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dante Hall hoping this is the comeback year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dante Hall hoping this is the comeback year?

Just a little link here on a local sports radio station.

Link

Originally posted by D.A.
    (Editors Note: This column appears in the September edition of Warpaint Illustrated)

Like the Olsen Twins and the World Series of Poker, Dante Hall has grown up right before our very eyes.

-Ive been talking about it all summer to my friends and family, man. I cant believe Im going into my seventh season.-

The once tentative running back out of Texas A&M is now the seasoned X-Factor entering season number-seven in the NFL.

-Im starting to get vet privileges. On the charter plane, Im actually in first class now, I thought I was gonna have to wait ten years to make it up there! Its a lovely thing.-

Yet, for every perk being a veteran brings, Hall feels like a rookie all over again. His longtime special teams coach Frank Gansz Jr. left for Baltimore. His steady kick return running mate Gary Stills is in New England. A new system has him wondering just where to be and when to be there.

-We are running a totally different scheme, I feel like a rookie again. The returns are all different. The responsibilities are totally different. As for me, Im loving that because I think teams facing us got used to what we do, now we will catch teams off guard.

The red-and-gold crazies in the 300-level need not fret about the Human Joysticks fireworks being doused by the winds of change. Hall has history on his mind, sitting tied with the immortal Gayle Sayers atop the all-time kickoff returns for touchdowns list with six.

-Thats very cool, very, very cool. But I want to pass Gayle. I want to pass Gayle! Then I would really have something to brag about to my son, Adonis! But for me its always been about the team first. I dont care if you rush for 1,700 yards, return ten kicks, catch 15 balls, thereÕs probably ten other guys who had a lot to do with it.-

On top of it, new coach Herm Edwards drastically scaled back the length and intensity of training camp practices, leaving Hall and the rest of his teammates energized and refreshed.

-I can feel my legs!- Hall says laughing. -Its a whole new program, Coach Edwards was a former players so he runs it the way a player would want it. As a (former) player coming through, you know how your body feels, how your mind can turn into mush. I just think going through what he went through as a player, the coach tends to think and go about business like a player. Little things that a coach that never played the game would never understand.-

After his historical breakout season of 2003, where he garnered his second consecutive Pro-Bowl honor and left Arrowhead mouths agape with his staggering dine-and-dash against the Broncos, Hall faced a whole new set of hurdles. No longer did he have to prove his place in the league. He had to prove that ridiculous 03 season of five returns for touchdowns (which had never been accomplished before) were no fluke.

Opposing special teams drew up specific plays to limit his touches and effectiveness, sometimes going so far as simply drilling it out of bounds and asking the defense to make up the difference. The last two seasons for Hall have been like borrowing a friends IPod. You hope your favorite artist is loaded, but you just have no idea what to expect.

Halls touchdowns on kick returns were squeezed to just three combined over the past two seasons. Additionally, Hall was asked to focus on developing as a wide receiver as well. The Chiefs needed receiving depth with injuries to Johnny Morton and youngsters Samie Parker and Craphonso Thorpe still not-ready-for-prime-time players. This season, though, Halls focus is back on doing what he does best, leaving kickoff coverage teams with whiplash.

There will still be one huge void this season for Hall. His father figure and motivator, **** Vermiel, stepped down after five seasons of molding the X-Factor. Vermiel was the one who pumped him up as a youngster when he was deflated, made him believe he had a spot in the league when no spot was open.

-It was very hard to see him go, I mean I shed a tear for two days straight. He was a great coach and everybody loved him and appreciated him for the person that he was, it was hard, really hard, to see him go.-

Time flies when youre bringing back kicks to the house, flashing the X-Factor symbol in end zones and are generally regarded as the premier return artist in the NFL. But theres still something missing for Hall.

-I cant believe Im going into my seventh campaign. The only negative is Ive only been to the playoffs once. Thats the only negative.-

Will 2006 come up Lucky-7s for Hall? Chiefs fans hope X marks the spot.
    I really hope he comes back to being a big playmaker again, we need it this year. :dance:
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Me to Grid.........

I picked him up off FA.........

I think he has been silenced long enough....

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
      Just a little link here on a local sports radio station.

Link

I really hope he comes back to being a big playmaker again, we need it this year. :dance:
      i hope he has 5 touchdowns in week 1 vs the bengals (i hope)
      sigpic

Comment

That year he was returning all those TD's, was a bunch of crap. I have never seen so many blatant no calls in my life.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMdVHruUfI

Travis Henry, single handedly taking the class out of our organization.

Bowlen, you gutless drunk!

Comment

Originally posted by Elway=Goat
          That year he was returning all those TD's, was a bunch of crap. I have never seen so many blatant no calls in my life.

You're right! I don't know if the refs have gotten any better. Dante Hall is old news.

Comment

Elway=Goat and Nomad Broncofan, I hear what you're saying but it is in the record books, there is nothing we can do about it.

That being said, this what he does best. I don't think he'll ever be a great receiver and if Herm uses him to much on offense he'll wear down like has the past couple of years.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
              Elway=Goat and Nomad Broncofan, I hear what you're saying but it is in the record books, there is nothing we can do about it.

That being said, this what he does best. I don't think he'll ever be a great receiver and if Herm uses him to much on offense he'll wear down like has the past couple of years.

You're right, too! I know can't blame refs for everything and poor tackling has a lot to do with it with some good blocking. Dante does have incredible balance and speed,but I think the game has caught up to his speed. So Dante is old news.

Comment

GO DANTE..............
                Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC

Ya, Vermiel tried to hard to involve him in the offense. I think he should never touch the ball more than 5 times on offense, and not be in more than 10 plays, EVER.
                  Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
                    Ya, Vermiel tried to hard to involve him in the offense. I think he should never touch the ball more than 5 times on offense, and not be in more than 10 plays, EVER.

Dude, are you serious?

If I have a guy like him...lightning quick/exciting...I want to get him the ball!!!

Comment

Thank You!!!!

Originally posted by Elway=Goat

On that kick-off return against the Broncos one guy literally got TWO clips on ONE block. That whole Dante Hall/NFL lovefest was a disgrace. Talk about an asterisk! :brick:

Comment

Originally posted by Pipes7
                        [/COLOR]

Dude, are you serious?

If I have a guy like him...lightning quick/exciting...I want to get him the ball!!!
                        He's referring to keeping him reserved for kick/punt return duties so he doesn't wear Dante out too much by running routes and taking hits.

You want to keep him fresh so that he can do the most for what he is best at personally, but his athletic abilities cannot be ignored. So you throw him out there for a few plays to stretch the field and provide an extra target that Trent Green can utilize. Mainly, it's the balance between using his athletic skills and keeping him fresh for special teams, is what he is referring to.
                        sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                        Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                          He's referring to keeping him reserved for kick/punt return duties so he doesn't wear Dante out too much by running routes and taking hits.

You want to keep him fresh so that he can do the most for what he is best at personally, but his athletic abilities cannot be ignored. So you throw him out there for a few plays to stretch the field and provide an extra target that Trent Green can utilize. Mainly, it's the balance between using his athletic skills and keeping him fresh for special teams, is what he is referring to.

I know what he was referring to......

However, with KC's pathetic wr corps...and Hall's athleticism....I think saying he can touch the ball between 5-10 times ONLY is harsh.

Everyone knows about KC's losses in the ol and fb...so running the ball MIGHT be harder this year.

If it is, then I would think that Dante's abilities should be maxxed out this year.

Comment

However, with KC's pathetic wr corps...and Hall's athleticism....I think saying he can touch the ball between 5-10 times ONLY is harsh.

Everyone knows about KC's losses in the ol and fb...so running the ball MIGHT be harder this year.

If it is, then I would think that Dante's abilities should be maxxed out this year.
                            It's not like the passing game has been having many shortcomings though, since the last 3 years Trent Green has been putting up 4,000+ yard seasons.

Like I said though, it's a balance between keeping him fresh for what he does best and putting his athletic skills onto the field to help the receiving game.
                            sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                            Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

The thing is Pipes Hall has been used quite a bit in there offensive schemes and it has had effect on their return teams. He's not a very big guy and imo with as much work as the Chiefs have given him he's worn down.

The other things as a 3rd receiver he does ok, Green has a difficult time finding him when its not a play he's in open space. Atleast that is what I read sometime back.
                              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                              X