• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL's Most Loyal Fans

Cleveland is No. 1 in rankings of NFL fan loyalty
    Bizjournals - September 4, 2006
    by G. Scott Thomas

The Cleveland Browns stumbled to a 6-10 record last year, their third straight losing season. Browns Stadium was sold out for every game.

The Kansas City Chiefs entered the season with high hopes, but missed the playoffs for the second year in a row. Arrowhead Stadium was sold out for every game.

The Philadelphia Eagles plummeted to a 6-10 mark, their worst since 1999. Lincoln Financial Field was sold out for every game.
    The American Red Cross

Such steadfast support is the reason why Cleveland, Kansas City and Philadelphia are 1-2-3 in Bizjournals's new rankings of National Football League fan loyalty. (Click here for the top-to-bottom standings of all 32 teams.)

The study set out to identify the NFL's best fans. Not the ones who turn out in strong numbers for a winning team, but the ones who stay loyal even if their team is losing, the weather is frightful or their local market is small.

Cleveland fans earned first place by routinely packing their 73,000-seat stadium despite the dismal play of the Browns -- who have won only 36 of 112 games since 1999 -- and a climate that is among the coldest in the league.

Kansas City and Philadelphia received high marks for consistently drawing capacity crowds in both good seasons and bad. K.C. has averaged 77,300 fans per game since 1996, while Philly has filled 99.8 percent of available seats. Both figures rank second in the NFL over the 10-year span.

Rounding out the top 10 in the fan rankings are the Green Bay Packers, Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins. (Click here for detailed profiles of all 32 teams.)

Each NFL team's performance was analyzed in seven categories for the period of 1996-2005, including average attendance, percentage of seats filled, fluctuation in attendance between good and bad seasons, on-field record, market population, local income levels and weather. (Click here for the study's methodology.)

The study analyzed each team in two ways -- first for its level of fan support and then for the difficulty it poses to long-term supporters. Cleveland is No. 1 on both lists, clinching first place in the overall rankings of fan loyalty.

Sixty percent of each team's final score is based on the quality of its support, while 40 percent depends on the difficulties its fans face. The tougher the conditions become -- a losing record, a small market or harsh weather -- the higher a team's difficulty score will be.

Right behind the Browns on the support list are Philadelphia, Kansas City, Denver and Green Bay. All attract capacity crowds game after game, year after year.

The runners-up to Cleveland in the difficulty standings are Buffalo, Cincinnati, New Orleans and Arizona. All are small to medium-sized markets whose teams have posted losing records during the past decade.

At the bottom of the overall fan loyalty rankings are the Oakland Raiders, whose average attendance is second-worst in the NFL since 1996, even though they play in one of the league's largest, most affluent markets.

LINKY
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

C'mon Charles, thats a no-brainer like steak says, we kno the Browns have the most loyal fans in the world.

Btw, y does it say sept4? is it sept already?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
      C'mon Charles, thats a no-brainer like steak says, we kno the Browns have the most loyal fans in the world.

Btw, y does it say sept4? is it sept already?
      It probably is going to be printed as an article on September 3th I'd wager. But is available online now.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
        It probably is going to be printed as an article on September 3th I'd wager. But is available online now.
        oh i see, ur ahead of schedule ,

i would think the Raiders would be up there with us, but i see there at the bottom of the league i didn't expect that.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
          oh i see, ur ahead of schedule ,

i would think the Raiders would be up there with us, but i see there at the bottom of the league i didn't expect that.
          Well, I have heard rumors that the Raiders colors attract gangs and that many gang members attend Raider games merely to sport the colors. Though, that is just a rumor that I've heard time and time ago - don't know if it is true though.

Comment

Well, really, I think that the difference between the fan bases of the teams that truly support their team is small.

I mean, Denver has been very, very near capacity in every game for I don't know how long, but it's hard to judge whether we'd stick through losing times like the Browns have because we've only had a few losing seasons in the last thirty years.

As for say the Browns and Texans, both have lost their teams and then regained a team. For this reason, it makes sense that they would appreciate having a team even if it isn't a very successful team.

Philly and KC, yeah, sure. They have a great set of fans. So does Green Bay and all of the other top teams on their list, but I honestly doubt that any one of those sets of fans is more loyal than the other.

Where the difference comes in is when you look at teams like Jacksonville who don't really fill the stands even when they have a good year.

By the way, it is kind of interesting that the Raiders are ranked last.
            My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
            . Post Your Artwork .
            . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

i agree with the browns being the most loyal..........yall should see the tailgatin over here in cleveland it is insane..........there aint alot of bandwagoners like most of the teams in the nfl seems to have..............
              I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

Well ya, if you loose that much you gotta be loyal if you still like em right? Not smacking but it only makes since doesnt it?
                Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Working...
                X