Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branch on the move?

BRANCH TO BROADWAY?

A league source tells us that the reports of a contract offer to Pats receiver Deion Branch are true, and that in fact two teams have ponied up a six-year, $36 million package.

One of the two teams, per the source, is the New York Jets.

If a deal goes through, the Pats will receive (we're told) a second-round draft pick and a "pretty good player."

But the source told us that perhaps there's been a snag, because the deal was supposed to be done as of Thursday night.

The other team in the running for the Super Bowl XXIX MVP is presently unknown to us. We're working on finding out who it is, but the Jets are considered to be favorite to land him.

Stay tuned.
    That's off PFT.com, but I'm reading that Boston radio is reporting that a deal is either done or will be done because the Pats think NY's offer is too good to pass up.

Hmmmm...a second and a player? I'd say that player is either Bryan Thomas, Laveranues Coles, Justin McCareins, David Barrett, or maybe even Dewayne Robertson.

We shall see!

Now, from a Denver perspective, I think we would've had to give up too much.

We don't have any DL that's worth a darn, so cross that off the list. I doubt NE would have much interest in any of our OL, or QB's, or RB's. We really don't have much to offer at WR either.

What's left? LB and CB.

Nate Webster, DJ Williams, Darrent Williams, or Domonique Foxworth. One of those guys plus a first/second round pick. Too much, toooo much...

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
      That's off PFT.com, but I'm reading that Boston radio is reporting that a deal is either done or will be done because the Pats think NY's offer is too good to pass up.

Hmmmm...a second and a player? I'd say that player is either Bryan Thomas, Laveranues Coles, Justin McCareins, David Barrett, or maybe even Dewayne Robertson.

We shall see!
      I doubt they will give Coles, since if they do they will be in a similar situation they are in now. They would probably be able to trade those two straight up if needed.

I think its McCareins, a low end #2 who can be considered "pretty good".

Comment

I agree that it would've been too costly for us. Especially since our WR corps is looking it's strongest since EddyMac got hurt.

I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.

Comment

Just heard on 950The Fan that the Pansies are asking for 2 1st round draft picks....good way to keep him there. Overprice the hell out of him so no one can afford it. Pansies...class organization, won't pay the guy, but give him a week to make a trade and charge the interested parties out the ying yang to even attempt it.
          Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove
            Just heard on 950The Fan that the Pansies are asking for 2 1st round draft picks....good way to keep him there. Overprice the hell out of him so no one can afford it. Pansies...class organization, won't pay the guy, but give him a week to make a trade and charge the interested parties out the ying yang to even attempt it.
            We should probably just pay him and not worry about the cap - the NFL would only take a 3rd-rounder from us anyways

Comment

I heard today that the other team is the Seahawks. If the Pats lose Branch and don't get a really good player in return they are going to be in a lot of trouble this season. I think they already are in a lot of trouble but that would just take it over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by honestpatsfan
                We should probably just pay him and not worry about the cap - the NFL would only take a 3rd-rounder from us anyways
                Low blow! :brick:

Comment

Originally posted by honestpatsfan

The Pansies are well under the cap anyways. With the losses and injuries your team has had, you'd think Bill & Kraft would want to keep someone so valuable.

That low blow might have actually hurt if you weren't so far under the cap that you could actually afford to pay your top receiver for his services.
                  Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by Giveemlove
                    The Pansies are well under the cap anyways.
                    Very true- our motto is "better safe than Denver"

Comment

i have never understood the way the patsies have negotiated in this area. They did this a couple of years ago with troy brown even though troy deserved better than how they treated him.
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

We shall see!
                        Why are they trading their best receiver within their division?
                        sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                        Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                          Why are they trading their best receiver within their division?
                          I doubt they're too worried about the Jets at this time.

Besides, it'd have to be a great offer for them to even consider it.

Comment

I doubt they're too worried about the Jets at this time.

Besides, it'd have to be a great offer for them to even consider it.
                            well this isnt gonna happen because of the patriots front office. The Jets and Seahawks were willing to pay branch more money that the pats could. The after the patriots find this out they say "oh insteas of one first round pick we want two of them and thats the only way we're gonna deal him"

congrats patriots you will now have your best WR sit out the rest of the season. I would do this too after seeing the games that the front office played.
                            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

The New England Patriots on Friday rejected trade proposals for holdout wide receiver Deion Branch, leaving the sides at a stalemate as teams prepare for their season openers next week.

In fact, the parties' stances might have grown more contentious Friday, with sources confirming that Branch and agent Jason Chayut have filed a grievance against the Patriots through the NFL Players Association. In the grievance, filed after the 4 p.m. Friday deadline passed without a trade, Branch is seeking an expeditious hearing in front of a "special master" arbitrator.

The full grounds of the grievance were not immediately clear, but it is thought Branch will contend that New England officials promised his representatives they would trade him if the Patriots received a reasonable offer. Chayut is apparently prepared to argue, if a grievance hearing is convened, that trade offers made by the New York Jets and Seattle Seahawks were appropriate and of a fair market value, given recent deals involving other NFL wide receivers.

ESPN.com's Michael Smith reported that the Jets offered a second-round draft choice for Branch.

The team issued a two-sentence statement Friday that read, "No trade has been consummated. Deion Branch remains under contract to the New England Patriots." The team had no comment on the grievance.

Branch had earlier reached agreements with the Seahawks and Jets on what ESPN.com has learned was a six-year, $39 million contract. The contract included a combined $13 million in guaranteed signing and option bonuses. Under the contract, Branch would have earned nearly $23 million in the first three years of the deal.

Of course, the contract agreements with the Seahawks and Jets are essentially rendered moot now.

Smith reported Monday that, according to several league sources, the Patriots were seeking two first-round draft choices for Branch. Other league sources told ESPN.com that New England might have considered dealing Branch for first- and middle-round choices. It is thought the teams involved did not offer New England more than a second-round draft pick and that the Patriots did not come close to making a deal.

Who takes the next step toward a possible reconciliation, with the sides seemingly at an impasse, remains to be seen.

People close to Branch insist he will not crack and will report to the Patriots for only the final six games of the season, enough to earn an accrued year toward the pension, and to qualify him for unrestricted free agency next spring.

Although last week's move by the Patriots was surprising, it also reflected the state of discussions between the sides. There has been virtually no meaningful dialogue for weeks and Branch, the team's leading receiver in 2005, remains out of camp and is being fined $14,000 a day during his absence.

It is thought that, at some point in the offseason, the Patriots offered two extension proposals: a three-year deal worth $18.75 million with $8 million of that guaranteed, and a five-year extension at $31 million, with $11 million in bonuses.

Branch, 27, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $1.05 million in 2006, the final season of the five-year contract he signed as a second-round choice in the 2002 draft. And the base salary is only that high because Branch performed well enough to trigger an "escalator" in the contract that raised his compensation by $500,000.

Team officials indicated as far back as March that securing an extension with Branch was a priority, but the sides have been unable to strike a deal and talks seem at a dead end.

Branch is coming off a career year in which he had 78 receptions for 998 yards and five touchdowns. For his career, Branch has 213 catches for 2,744 yards and 14 touchdowns. He has appeared in 53 games and logged 42 starts. He earned most valuable player honors in Super Bowl XXXIX when he tied a title game record with 11 receptions, netting 133 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X