X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official New England @ Cincinnati thread

Game notes of note

Gathered from both teams and other NFL outlets:

Series notes: Bengals beat the Pats 45-7 in 1970 to clinch the AFC Central...to become the youngest franchise ever to reach the playoffs.
    Margins: The Patriot led the series 11-8....the Bengals have outscored the Pats 421-330. Seven of the Bengals wins have come by 10 points or more....five of them by more than 20 points. Eight of the Pats wins have come by seven points or less.

Play ball: Did you know the Bengals once played the Pats at Fenway Park?....The Patriots beat the Bengals 33-14 in 1968.

Last team standing:
    Did you know the Bengals are the ONLY unbeaten team in the NFL, if you include the preseason (7-0)?

Playing the percentages: Since 1990, 74% of teams that started 3-0 made the playoffs. That numbers jumps to 83% when starting 4-0.

Turnover margins: Bengals are +5 this year....Patriots -3

Wearing it well?: The Bengals will wear black jersey's and white pants Sunday. Their record is 4-6 in that combo....the ONLY combo they have a losing record in.

Donuts:
    Bengals have scored 85 points this season....but 0 in the 3rd quarter. The Bengals have allowed 47 points.....0 in the 2nd quarter.

Bouncing back: Patriots lost to Denver Sunday night....they have gone 52 games since losing back to back games. That is the NFL's longest active streak and tied for third longest since 1970.

Brady and his bunch:
    Tom Brady is 16-1 on artificial surfaces....winning his last nine games while throwing 31 td's and just 14 int's. He's 60-21 as a starter .741...best winning percentage among active QB's with at least 32 starts. Brady has engineered 21 game winning performances when tied or behind in the 4th quarter. It took Brady just 80 starts to reach 60 wins...tying Ken Stabler and Roger Staubach for fastest to 60 wins. He is 23-3 in games decided by less than a TD. He's 32-14 on the road and 9-1 vs AFC North.

Sam I Am: Did you know Sam Adam's father played DL for the Patriots from 1972-80?

Connect the Dots: Chuck Bresnahan was originally hired by Bill Belichick as a quality control coach for the Cleveland Browns in 1994. Belichick also hired Darrin Simmons as a coaching intern. Pats defensive coordinator Dean Pees was defensive coordinator for the Miami Redhawks.

Dillonator: Corey Dillon is the NFL's active leading rusher with 10.598 yards.....16th all-time. He needs 46 yards to pass Ricky Watters for 15th and needs 639 to pass OJ Simpson to move into 14th. The Pats are 25-5 in games he's played in since acquiring him....1-4 without him.

17's are wild: The Patriots have allowed 17 points in each of their first three games.

Coaching tree: 7 current NFL or college coaches were assistants under Bill Belichick.

Cover up: Patriots have allowed a total of two yards on punt returns this season....an average of 0.4 points on five punts.

Rate this:
    Opposing QB's have a better QB rating this year (94.0) than Tom Brady (78.5)

Hmmmm: Despite all the talk about the "struggling" Patriots offense, the Patriots have more passing first downs (40) than the Bengals (36) entering the Week 4 matchup, and have accumulated more net-passing yards (667) than the Bengals (600).

Taken from the official blog of Lance McAllister, Cincinnati sports radio personality
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

The way I see it, if the Bungholes win this week, they're still undefeated and tied for first in the AFC. The the Patsies win, the Bengals will be one less undefeated team. I can't stand the Patriots, so I'm really at a tear on who to root for.
    Originally posted by Soldier96B
    i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

All I have to say is:

GO PATRIOTS!

(Post Scriptum: I still hate Belichick)
      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
        All I have to say is:

GO PATRIOTS!

(Post Scriptum: I still hate Belichick)
        As if it weren't enough, the Bengals are going to give you ONE MORE thing to be disappointed about.

Sorry, Charlie. (hah! I always wanted to say that )
        HEAR ME ROAR!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
          As if it weren't enough, the Bengals are going to give you ONE MORE thing to be disappointed about.

Sorry, Charlie. (hah! I always wanted to say that )
          I beg to differ, I feel the Patriots should win this game for the following reasons:

#1 - The Bengals are in the AFC North
          #2 - The Patriots are not in the AFC North
          #3 - I do not like Chad Johnson
          #4 - I hate Bill Belichick

So, there you go. Four reasons why I want the Patriots to win (even though #3 and #4 are just my personal opinions - I could have called these the Two Reasons why I want the Patriots to win)
          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
            I beg to differ, I feel the Patriots should win this game for the following reasons:

#1 - The Bengals are in the AFC North
            #2 - The Patriots are not in the AFC North
            #3 - I do not like Chad Johnson
            #4 - I hate Bill Belichick

So, there you go. Four reasons why I want the Patriots to win (even though #3 and #4 are just my personal opinions - I could have called these the Two Reasons why I want the Patriots to win)
            There's a difference between saying "these are the reasons that Pats should win" and "these are the reasons I'm rooting for the Pats."

Here's some reasons that the Bengals SHOULD win this game:

1. Dinged up NE secondary
            2. No legitimate receiving threats for the Pats
            3. Not enough push upfront from their line

Bengals 31-13. Come on, Bengals! Who Dey!
            HEAR ME ROAR!
            sigpic

Comment

Here goes kickoff
              "No one can be told what the Matrix is....You have to see it for yourself"

sigpic

"Playoffs? Playoffs? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a freakin' game!"- Jim Mora- IND Colts

Comment

Chris Henry is inactive this week. :brick: Dammmit! Just heard, so mark that up as a big 0 on fantasy. :brick: :brick: :brick:
                Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

woot woot I want to see Cincy win this one...
                  ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle
                    woot woot I want to see Cincy win this one...
                    who doesn't ...I hate the Patsies
                    "No one can be told what the Matrix is....You have to see it for yourself"

sigpic

"Playoffs? Playoffs? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a freakin' game!"- Jim Mora- IND Colts

Comment

Originally posted by EdmcCaff87
                      who doesn't ...I hate the Patsies
                      me too....ugh. I should really be rooting for Brady though, he is my fantasy QB. pfft.
                      ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Well, the Pats are making a game of it so far...

Comment

Touchdown Patriots.

Brady to Gabriel

Comment

WOW, Maroney is having an unbelievable game right now!

Looks like the Patriots will get back on track today...

Comment

i just dropped fred taylor and picked up maroney

Comment

Working...
                              X