Browns lose top OL Tucker for season due to mental disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns lose top OL Tucker for season due to mental disorder

CLEVELAND -- Cleveland Browns starting right tackle Ryan Tucker is battling an undisclosed mental disorder and hopes to return to football next season, the team said Friday.

The loss of Tucker is the latest setback for the banged-up Browns, whose shaky offensive line already is missing Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley, out all season with a knee injury suffered on the first day of training camp.

Tucker, one of the Browns' captains, has been a steady leader for a rebuilding team. He was the team's most productive offensive lineman the past four seasons.

The Browns refused to disclose more details about Tucker's illness, saying only that it was a common disorder not related to football. The 10-year veteran hoped to return to football next season, the team said in a statement.

"It is a treatable disorder. Ryan has been battling this condition since before the season began, and has been actively receiving treatment. At this time, it is in his best interest to focus entirely on his medical treatment and concentrate on his recovery," team physician Anthony Miniaci said in a statement.

Tucker was placed on the reserve/non-football injury list on Wednesday. He missed two games earlier in the season but returned to the starting lineup on Nov. 12. He played the first half of last week's game against Cincinnati before sitting out after halftime.

On Thursday, Browns general manager Phil Savage said he supported Tucker.

"Our concern is for him to get better and get his life back. He's really a good person and it's been a struggle. He's going to get through it," Savage said.

Miniaci said the team is optimistic Tucker will make a full recovery and play next season.

"Ryan has shown a significant amount of courage while battling this disorder," the doctor said.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    Link

Things that make you go hmmmmm.
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Wow. That REALLY sucks for them. I suppose it doesn't matter too much in the sense that their season is over, but hopefully that O-line can return to full strength next season.

I wonder what it is though. Depression? Anorexia? Over-eating?

Comment

I hope he will be okay as that is bad news for anybody....
        Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

GOOOOO Browns! I'm a HUGE Browns fan this week!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
            GOOOOO Browns! I'm a HUGE Browns fan this week!!
            Just like I'm a big Seahags fan this week.
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

'Top' huh?

What the heck is 'Top' supposed to mean?
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                'Top' huh?

The best? I'm guessing...

Personally, I think... Fraley? Maybe, would be your best active lineman on the roster while Bentley is in recovery.

Oh well, either way, losing someone to mental illness in any sense is just, saddening.

From the vague descriptions of it, it sounds like he has MDD (Major Depressive Disorder).

It mentions him being on a non-football related injury list earlier in the season, and then it recurring later in the season (not long after some locker room dissention and some more recent Brown's troubles [You and others wanting Crennel out]).

"Get his life back on track."

Could be any number of things, just pure speculation here, but from my perspective, MDD seems to be the culprit.

Hope he gets help from it, the last NFL player I remember publically seing a pyschiatrist (announcing it), was Kyle Boller.

And we know what happened the game he came back.

48-3 Monday Night Football against the pack, beaten down by Kyle Boller.

So when Tucker comes back, he'll beast it on the field.
                sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

'Top' huh?

what the heck are you talking about??

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                    The best? I'm guessing...

Personally, I think... Fraley? Maybe, would be your best active lineman on the roster while Bentley is in recovery.
                    Tucker is far from the best lineman on the Browns. Three years ago, he was a fine lineman. Very good. Then he got injured and stayed injured. He's missed nearly 1/3 of all his games the last 3 years. He's old, injury prone, and now has a screw loose. If it wasn't already clear that he was going to be gone - it is even clearer now. I've been calling for a replacement for him all season. Hopefully Savage answers the calls and drafts Levi Brown.

Comment

what the heck are you talking about??
                      Browns lose TOP Offensive Lineman for the Season...

Charlie believes Tucker isn't the best o-lineman on the browns, and I'd have to agree with him on that, even if it isn't entirely relevant to the main focus of the article/event or take away from the seriousness of it at all.
                      sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                      Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                        Browns lose TOP Offensive Lineman for the Season...

Charlie believes Tucker isn't the best o-lineman on the browns, and I'd have to agree with him on that, even if it isn't entirely relevant to the main focus of the article/event or take away from the seriousness of it at all.
                        Oh... no matter to me if he's the TOP guy or not, he's out and that hurts them. I want them to pull the UCLA upset this week.. GOOOOOOO Browns!!

Comment

Oh... no matter to me if he's the TOP guy or not, he's out and that hurts them. I want them to pull the UCLA upset this week.. GOOOOOOO Browns!!
                          It's not an upset if you expect them to win.

Comment

It's not an upset if you expect them to win.
                            If you beat the chiefs.. it would be an upset because every line you see has KC favored. Don't sound so confident.. you were sounding this confident on every other game you had this year, and you've only won a whopping three. I don't think we can 'expect' the Browns to win anything.... except maybe the 1st overall pick!

Comment

If you beat the chiefs.. it would be an upset because every line you see has KC favored. Don't sound so confident.. you were sounding this confident on every other game you had this year, and you've only won a whopping three. I don't think we can 'expect' the Browns to win anything.... except maybe the 1st overall pick!
                              I fully expect the Browns to win each and every week. I don't care who the opponent is. I'm sorry to see that your idea of a 'fan' is that they see their team go against an opening and 'expect to lose'. Heck with that. The Browns aren't going to have the 1st overall pick. They are far better than their record shows. Far, Far better. Give the Browns a good coach and they will do very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X