X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson to start for Browns tonight

Anderson to start; Frye 3rd QB
    Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer

Derek Anderson will make his first career start tonight in Pittsburgh. Charlie Frye (wrist) will be the 3rd quarterback.

Frye had been listed as questionable on the team's injury report but did not practice this week.

Anderson, an Oregon State alum who is among the all-time leaders in passing in the Pac 10, threw the first passes of his NFL career during the second quarter of last Sunday's game vs. Kansas City. He entered the game at halftime for good and helped lead the team mount a 14-point fourth quarter comeback and overtime win, completing 12-of-21 passes for 171 yards with 2 touchdowns and an interception.

Tonight will mark the first game of Frye's career he has missed due to injury.

The team's backup QB will be Ken Dorsey.

As reported earlier today on ClevelandBrowns.com, safety Brian Russell (elbow) will miss the game. Brodney Pool will start in his place.

Other inactives for the Browns include Orpheus Roye (knee), Jerome Harrison, Rob Smith, Isaac Sowells, Fred Matua, and Travis Wilson. Simon Fraser will start in place of Roye.

As declared earlier in the week, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (knee) and receiver Hines Ward (knee) will miss the game, along with receiver Cedrick Wilson (ankle) and safety Ryan Clark (groin). Also inactive for the Steelers will be center Marvin Philip, guard Chris Kemoeatu and tackle Willie Colon.

Nate Washington will start in place of Ward, while Santonio Holmes will start in place of Wilson. Tyrone Carter will start in place of Polamalu while Anthony Smith will start in place of Clark. Finally, Bryant McFadden will start in place of cornerback Ike Taylor.

LINKY
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

That sucks.
    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

So the DO stand a chance.
      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

anderson is runnin things!
        sigpic

Comment

it's halftime right now, and anderson looks pretty damn good out there fora kid of his experience level. . . he throws a pretty accurate ball, especially considering that thing must be like a brick out there. . . he's really showing nice pocket presence and a feel for pressure. . . the thing that's impressing me the most is that he's doing a nice job going through his progressions instead of locking onto his primary target. . . too bad his receivers are droppping everything he throws them!
          Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
            it's halftime right now, and anderson looks pretty damn good out there fora kid of his experience level. . . he throws a pretty accurate ball, especially considering that thing must be like a brick out there. . . he's really showing nice pocket presence and a feel for pressure. . . the thing that's impressing me the most is that he's doing a nice job going through his progressions instead of locking onto his primary target. . . too bad his receivers are droppping everything he throws them!
            yeah anderson's wrs suck, but maybe they will develop some chemistry with him the more they work together
            sigpic

Comment

Wow...poor browns...my uncles are probly really sad right now...
              sigpic

Comment

Ok,

Now I will admit it.

Derek Anderson looked pretty good out there.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                  Ok,

Now I will admit it.

Frye looked pretty decent in his first few starts (three OROW awards in 5 games last year).

Let's see if Anderson can keep up the consistancy, but I like what I see in the young guy so far.
                  sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                  Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                    Frye looked pretty decent in his first few starts (three OROW awards in 5 games last year).

Let's see if Anderson can keep up the consistancy, but I like what I see in the young guy so far.

savvy football fans realize that young players who look good in their first few games can come back to earth in a big way once scouts get some film of them. . . but it looks to me like anderson has some nice skills, at least in the short-to-intermediate passing game. . .
                    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown
                      Ok,

Now I will admit it.

He did. Now, if only your receivers could catch those balls...
                      sigpic

Comment

Its real surprising to me that Cleveland doesn't even attempt to get Kellen Winslow involved more in that offense. That guy is a real weapon that gets underutilized on a weekly basis.

Comment

Working...
                        X