Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WhoDeyBengals
    replied
    Thanks everyone! I definitely agree with some of the criticism here, and I will take it into account in future articles.

As the playoff picture becomes more clear, more time will be spent on individual teams. And yes, I realized I used "kick in the gut" twice in the same article after it was posted, and I've been "kicking" myself for it ever since. Also, the Jets omission is a sin that won't be repeated - I feel bad about that one, and I'm sure they'll get plenty of play in future articles, given that they've probably got the easiest road into the playoffs of any playoff contender from either conference, and I've got both of their bigtime receivers on my fantasy team. Oops!

On charts and graphs: unfortunately, I don't have any control over that. If I could include them, I probably would, but it's not my choice to make.

Originally posted by rcsodak
    Honestly, I lost interest after about the 6th paragraph....but that's just me. There just wasn't anything there that I hadn't already heard somewhere before, you know?
    You know, that's WAY more than the average reader loses interest in a given article, statistically. I'll take that as a compliment.

Leave a comment:

• AZ Snake Fan
    replied
    --- Not bad WhoDey !

--- The only phrase that I had to stop and read twice

--- Was "nigh unto" ---

---

Leave a comment:

• alwilson91
    replied
    WhoDey, you also forgot a Bibliography and didn't have any footnotes. :nono:

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_f1
    replied
    I like the Article WhoDey. A lot of suggestions and observations have been made in this thread. My only input would be that you should use graphs, tables of stats or objects like that to enhance your article. Those things make it look better and it helps the reader visualize your points. The article was good though

Leave a comment:

• champbronc2
    replied
    Originally posted by alwilson91
    Ummm, I wouldn't exactly call our home game against Cincy "tough".
    Silly Al!

lol

This game will be tough!

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    Decent article, whodey....

....I'd grade ya, but this isn't a school project, is it.

Instead of just saying things about teams, I would be giving info to back it up.......otherwise, it's just another dude's opine.
    ie Johnson...'best 3gm stretch in nfl history'....howso?

Listing inconsistencies is one thing, like losing to sub-par teams, but aren't some of those teams inconsistent as well?

Honestly, I lost interest after about the 6th paragraph....but that's just me. There just wasn't anything there that I hadn't already heard somewhere before, you know?

Decent article, though.....

Leave a comment:

• PatsCrowEater
    replied
    Pretty good article WhoDey, I enjoyed reading it but my red pen was splattered all over the place. I'd give you a B-.

Here's why:

* Should have mentioned this is the first time since the merger 37 years ago that all division leaders had at least a two game lead this late in the season. I think that's a very significant historical point that was missed.

* You only mentioned New England's offense and didn't say anything about their solid defensive play this year. I think NE ranks third in points allowed in the entire NFL. Very few teams this year have good balance on both sides of the ball but NE is one of them.

* You said the Broncos, Chiefs, Jets, Jaguars, and Bengals are in the wild card mix. You gave excellent feedback on each team except the Jets. You completely fogot to talk about the Jets even though I feel they have a great shot at a wild card berth.

* You used the phrase "kick in the gut" twice during the article. I'm sure if you thought about it a little longer you could have come up with a different analogy.

* You said Seattle should get a bye but also said Dallas and Chicago should get a bye as well. You need to choose two, not three.

* There didn't seem to be any concluding parapgraph to the article. It suddenly ended. You needed something to conclude your points regarding transparant parity and the fact that most teams fighting for the WC have had very inconsisent and up and down seasons.

Overall, good article, but like your Bengals defense, you still have some work to do.

Leave a comment:

• WhoDeyBengals
    replied
    Originally posted by Buff_bronc_fan
    Nice man, well written as I have come to expect from you. Brief, yet thorough analysis. I think the topic of parity vs. the gap between division leaders and the wild card contenders has been a little played out in the national media this week, but it's certainly noteworthy stuff.

In regard to the Colts, I may have mentioned how Manning continues to play lights out, and I wouldn't necessarily say the Colts defense is struggling to keep games close-- The Texans defense is struggling to keep games close; the Colts defense is having trouble closing games.

Good read, excellent sample for resume material etc.
    Thanks for the input, buff!

I see where you're coming from with your point on how to phrase the performance of the defense, and I agree - if I had an opportunity to edit this now, I'd certainly make that change. Good point.

I'm glad you liked it!

Leave a comment:

• Buff_bronc_fan
    replied
    Nice man, well written as I have come to expect from you. Brief, yet thorough analysis. I think the topic of parity vs. the gap between division leaders and the wild card contenders has been a little played out in the national media this week, but it's certainly noteworthy stuff.

In regard to the Colts, I may have mentioned how Manning continues to play lights out, and I wouldn't necessarily say the Colts defense is struggling to keep games close-- The Texans defense is struggling to keep games close; the Colts defense is having trouble closing games.

Good read, excellent sample for resume material etc.

Leave a comment:

• WhoDeyBengals
    replied
    Originally posted by jcdavey
    good article but ...

they just won in miami , a team with a decent defense.
    And what's their overall road record?

One game does not define a team, just as one game doesn't define a player.

As I mentioned in my article, the Jaguars have lost four games on the road already, including one to Houston, another to Buffalo, and another to Washington, all of which are teams that will have top half of the first round picks in next year's draft.

While I appreciate the feedback, I disagree with you on this point.

Leave a comment:

• alwilson91
    replied
    Originally posted by jcdavey
    Maybe so, but they have been beaten by bad teams on the road, I believe they lost to the Bills a few weeks back. But then again, didn't they beat the Eagles in Philly?

Point is, the Jags are way too inconsistent to contend in the playoffs, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
    I wrote this.

Take a look, tell me what you think.

NOTE: If you've got feedback for me, post it here or PM me. I don't get e-mails from the website.
    good article but ...

Forget about Jacksonville. This is a team that can’t win on the road, having lost to Houston, Buffalo, Washington, and Indianapolis in away games. Their remaining schedule is the most difficult of any wild-card contender in the AFC, and they most likely will falter on their way to missing the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• alwilson91
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals

You're so funny when you're being absurd.
    I wasn't being absurd, I was being serious... :insert serious smiley here:

Leave a comment:

• WhoDeyBengals
    replied
    Originally posted by alwilson91

You're so funny when you're being absurd.

Leave a comment:

• alwilson91
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X