Curious about an unbiased opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about an unbiased opinion.

This is about the controversy on the Cardinals boards about keeping Dennis Green as a coach or firing him after the season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For keeping him:

He came in here to turn around a dismal program. Everyone agrees he's drafted great. Everyone agrees hes improved the talent. Everyone agrees he's fixed the salary cap that Buddy "Idiot" Ryan messed up.

It took a long time to fix the worst OL in football. Finally, they're playing well. This has allowed the Cardinals to go 4-2 in the last six games. It seems he has it going in the right direction.

The Cards have fired and hired a new coach every three years for the last 18 years. This lack of continuity has garnered them the worst franchise record in the league.

Why fire a coach that was hired to turn around a program, and once he's done it, (they hope) fire him because it "took too long".

For firing him:

The overall win record has not improved. Everyone agrees his clock management has been terrible. Everyone agrees he looks totally seperated from the team on the sidelines. Everyone agrees he's had some coaching blunders during games.

There have been three seasons of double digit losses. His record this year is just as bad as the first year. He lost 8 games in a row this year. The team underachieved with everyone agreeing that this team has talent (except the Oline problem)

Why keep a coach that hasn't won in three years. Why keep him when a prospect of a younger, inventive coach can take this talent and do much better? They hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, as a fan that doesn't give a rats toosh about the Cardinals, what would you vote for?

Fire Dennis Green and start with a new coach, risking the same history as before?
    Keep Dennis Green one more year, risking the same failure he's done this year?

(And post which side you think I'M on after trying to make this post as objective as I can. Hehe)
    Fire him after this season?
    32.61%
    Keep him for one more year?
    67.39%
    {COLOR="CardinalRed"][/COLOR]

Originally posted by Leesters
    This is about the controversy on the Cardinals boards about keeping Dennis Green as a coach or firing him after the season.

For keeping him:

He came in here to turn around a dismal program. Everyone agrees he's drafted great. Everyone agrees hes improved the talent. Everyone agrees he's fixed the salary cap that Buddy "Idiot" Ryan messed up.

It took a long time to fix the worst OL in football. Finally, they're playing well. This has allowed the Cardinals to go 4-2 in the last six games. It seems he has it going in the right direction.

The Cards have fired and hired a new coach every three years for the last 18 years. This lack of continuity has garnered them the worst franchise record in the league.

Why fire a coach that was hired to turn around a program, and once he's done it, (they hope) fire him because it "took too long".

For firing him:

The overall win record has not improved. Everyone agrees his clock management has been terrible. Everyone agrees he looks totally seperated from the team on the sidelines. Everyone agrees he's had some coaching blunders during games.

There have been three seasons of double digit losses. His record this year is just as bad as the first year. He lost 8 games in a row this year. The team underachieved with everyone agreeing that this team has talent (except the Oline problem)

Why keep a coach that hasn't won in three years. Why keep him when a prospect of a younger, inventive coach can take this talent and do much better? They hope.

So, as a fan that doesn't give a rats toosh about the Cardinals, what would you vote for?

Fire Dennis Green and start with a new coach, risking the same history as before?

(And post which side you think I'M on after trying to make this post as objective as I can. Hehe)

Keep him.....I believe you guys are just turning the corner and starting with a new coach could take all the momentum away that you have.

Comment

I think he ought to be given one more year for the reasons you stated for pros of keeping Green.

Also this thread will more than likely be moved to the forum Other Teams so you might want look for it there when it gets moved.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime5
        Keep him.....I believe you guys are just turning the corner and starting with a new coach could take all the momentum away that you have.
        I agree 100% I live by the glendale stadium and go to their games every once in a while, and they really have talent, the o-line is coming strong here at the end of the year, and should be pretty good next year with free agency and the draft!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Leesters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For keeping him:

For firing him:

Keep him he's got Leinhart... Now all the cards fan should do is just BUG your GM and the owners to put top dollar into the aspects of the Team then you might get ahead. It will take time but the cards org doesnt really keep good players when it comes to money. Once the Your team starts spending the big bucks for the top talent then and until then think about the Head Coach firing. It stemms from the top and the woes you have come from the stinginess of your organizations pocketbook
          McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

I don't know what needs to be done but something drastic needs to happen with that team. They do need an o-line, but they should be way better than they are. I would think that the Cardinals will be a lot better next year. As long as they at least somewhat fix the o-line the rest of the offense should be able to carry them. I would keep your coach for another season or two and see what he can do though.

Comment

Get rid of him. He has always had talent on his teams and never does any thing with it. I think he is only a head coach because of the NFL minority quota. There are a lot better minority coaches out there that should have a chance in my opinion. He has had his run and failed.
              Wow, manning has us soaring to new heights.

Comment

He gives a good press conference.

Comment

Originally posted by jmag
                  He gives a good press conference.
                  Lol. Thanks for the laugh. Hopefully one day we can "crown his ***"
                  {COLOR="CardinalRed"][/COLOR]

Comment

Give him another year and an offensive Line

Comment

Every coach should have five years to rebuild.

At least four. The trick is the front office having the cahones to give it to him. Dennis Green is one of those coaches who knows how to build a playoff team, though whether he knows what to do with it once he gets there is debatable. Like Glanville in the 80s and 90s; he never won, but he took the Oilers to seven straight, and when he left town he took the Falcons from the League laughing stock to actually giving SF some competition for the NFC West title. Firing a coach who's rebuilding a team after two or three years is like firing your campaign manager in August; it won't help you win, and any chance you had of winning just went out the window because the next guy will have a different philosophy and spend his time shifting from the team his predecessor was building to the one he wants. Which is probably why the new coach every three years isn't helping; good coaches play to the strengths of their team, but every coach does some things better than others, just like the players. And most of the teams that have had success and won Super Bowls didn't do it by playing "plug a coach" every three years; they sucked it up and took their lumps for five years (or more) while they let the SAME coach slowly build the team he wanted through draft picks and free agency.

That said, ya'll do need a line; that's where every rebuild should start, because that's when you have the best picks, and a mediocre QB (think Phil Simms or Doug Williams) with mediocre RBs and WRs can win with a stellar offensive line, but great "skill" players will get killed without a line. You can't run, you can't pass. Exhibit A: the Oakland Raiders, 70 sacks, 3.8 yards/carry and 2-13 (so far. ) Add to that the line functions as a unit; if one guy's off he's the weak link in the chain. It's a lot harder to find five good linemen to give your QB and/or RB a chance than it is to find one QB or RB to play behind them. Because of the pressure to deliver NOW too often teams don't even try; the new coach goes out and finds himself a stellar QB and a couple good WRs who look horrible playing behind an awful line (do the names Andre Johnson and David Carr ring a bell? Kubiak was the best thing that could have happened to Houston, though losing him was the worst thing to happen to us. ) Keep your coach and fire your linemen.
                      Last edited by Morambar; 12-28-2006, 06:44 PM.
                      SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

I say give him one more year and spend some of that extra money on the oline. If the Cards can't improve to at least 8-8 then it is time to go. Because it looks like 8-8 will get a team into the playoffs this year and can even win the division. A .500 team isn't much to ask for after this many years and all the talent.
                        RIP Darrent Williams
                        You know the difference between winners and losers?

Ya the score.

THE REPLACEMENTS

Comment

I say give him another year, the team you have right now seems to be coming together. Why change it now?
                          If you hire someone different, you're almost sure to be another 2 years before turning it around.

There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

I Support our Troops!
                          How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

Comment

At least.

Originally posted by Day1BroncoFan
                            I say give him another year, the team you have right now seems to be coming together. Why change it now?
                            If you hire someone different, you're almost sure to be another 2 years before turning it around.
                            You're very likely to be doing just what I was saying above: having a new coach with a totally different philosophy who's got 2/3 of a team worth of a team that's great for playing Dennis Green Ball but not, say, **** Vermeil Ball. So he'll spend 2-3 years trying to get the personnel he wants and liquidating the (now wasted) draft picks and FA signings he doesn't and then, just about the time it starts to solidify, the fans will ride him out of town on a rail after a 6-10 season. I honestly believe that a large part of the difference between a lot of good NFL teams, with SB Rings and lots of history, and the perennial basement dwellers is the patience of the front office and their thick skins when the villagers show up with torches.
                            SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

I pretty much agree with everyone else. He should be given another year because if he has been able to take that franchise to where it is in his third yr, talent wise, then he is clearly a good enough coach to make the team into a contender when the players start playing to their abilities. Green has always been a good coach, and he is getting talent on that team... next year, for his sake, they will hopefully be able to play up to their potential.

Sig by Sky.:salute:

All you nooby dooby doos need to stop making stupid threads.:coffee:

Comment

Working...
                              X